Portugal freecamping now illegal. (1 Viewer)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Portugal news !!!!!!!
Alterations to the Highway Code designed to increase road safety and reduce bureaucracy come into effect from tomorrow (Friday January 8) .

Among the changes are increased fines for anyone found using a mobile phone at the wheel, and the prohibition of caravans and motorhomes to make overnight stops “outside authorised places”.

The rules were first mooted in November, after the Council of Ministers approved a number of changes to bring the Code up to date.

The new Code now sees Uber drivers (and any others working for digital platforms) included in the requirement to have a blood alcohol level of less than 0.20 gr/ litre when transporting passengers.

Tractor drivers are also facing new demands under the changes: including the wearing of seatbelts, use of safety arc and special advisory lights when the tractor is moving. Fines for tractor drivers breaking the new will run from €120 to €600.

A nod at digital progress also sees drivers able to show police identification documents through the government application id.gov.pt – and for the first time electric scooters are to be included in the code, in the same bracket as bicycles once they reach a speed of 25 kms/ hour, or a maximum strength of 0.25 kw. At this point fines for exceeding speed can run from €60 to €300.

The new rules also impede electric scooters from using pavements or ‘areas for pedestrians and velocipedes (sic)’.

Explain reports, the revision of the Highway Code has made it possible to put all categories of vehicle on one licence “allowing for the elimination of tractor licences and licenses for the driving of agricultural or forestry vehicles on public roads”.

Also under these new measures, drivers will be able to recover driving licences that may have expired by taking examinations and/ or attending training courses.

Today’s reports barely dwelt on the fines facing people staying overnight in caravans and motorhomes in unauthorised places. But these have been known to run into double figures, and according to reports last May, could reach €2000.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
is there a definition of what is an 'unauthorised place' ?? hopefully it means where there are signs (or local byelaws as displayed in lots of French towns and villages) expressly forbidding overnight regulated by the local Marie) as opposed to it only being where signs expressly authorise it .....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Correct 👍
FLT’s no longer welcome 🤪
There are, however, loads and loads of aires and sites, I travelled the length of the country last year entirely on free aires.
An ‘unauthorised place’ is anywhere it isn’t specifically ‘authorised’ ! So, if there are no signs, it’s prohibited.
The sight of loads of white boxes on wheels taking up the best spots on the coast and leaving their waste has been legislated against, many of these folk are their own worst enemy.
.........and most of them are vegans and do yoga too🙄🤣

Sep 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 744
Exp
I'm a newbie
Excuse the newbie question - what does FLT stand for - presumably something to do with "free camping"?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
But these have been known to run into double figures, and according to reports last May, could reach €2000.
Have you ever actually met any motorhomer who has been fined €2000 in Portugal for staying overnight off-site?

Of course you haven't.

Media nonsense stories use words like "reportedly".

JJ :cool:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
FLT = Free Loading Tosser.

A phrase referring to freedom loving motorhomers like me who don't like parking with loads of other vans positioned within neat boundaries on campsites.

But unfortunately there are many more who park up in prime coastal positions in large groups who spoil it for genuine wilders. BUSBY.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
MMMMmm.. This IS Portugal........ Common sense still prevails.......... Long may it continue. Is there a law now, that says next year,the " Lads ?" won't be able to string the Christmas lights while standing aloft in a JCB bucket ,or " Proceed " down the high street with a Whacker hanging from a chain on the back actor.?
Tea Bag..
PS. Will this stop " Herringbone Parking " in normal square type boxes ? ....Perish the thought !! :ROFLMAO: (y)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
You won't have heard of any fines yet, if it only came in yesterday :doh: :doh:
The post said to me that fines "have been known" to run into double figures etc which suggest to me the post is about before "yesterday".

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
The suggestion that FLT's don't use campsites because they are mean with their money is not only offensive and wrong but also displays an arrogance worthy of Da*ly Mail readers...

Me read the Mail...I can't even afford to buy an Orange...😕

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Have you ever actually met any motorhomer who has been fined €2000 in Portugal for staying overnight off-site?

Of course you haven't.

Media nonsense stories use words like "reportedly".

Hâve met one who was fined 300€ and was sent to their french home . They were back in Portugal for the following winter when their daughter opened the mail at their home .

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
My dad always said 😉 two's company three's a crowd and four is too many. 😄
At that is what's causing the problems, I'm sure parking on your own out the way, you won't have a problem 😉 ..................... hopefully.

Until some fool puts it on park4night. 😁 Bob.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I did say this last week but someone tokd me i was wrong

Its been on every vanlifer forum and farcebook group since last may

Comes in to effect 8th january 🤷🏻‍♂️

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Excuse the newbie question - what does FLT stand for - presumably something to do with "free camping"?
This guy is a classic FLT
Terrible terrible person

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've just been FLTs here in our region of Spain. One night, totally alone (and Covid travel legal). No hindrance to anyone or anything.

original_0f251908-c37f-460d-8393-999e1b511e2d_IMG_20210103_181922.jpg

But then on our local coasts you get these FLTs. Camping for months on end. No emptying facilities 🙁 but plenty of bushes and a huge expanse of water 🤔, and "irrigation" water can be "sourced" from the greenhouses behind!!

Screenshot_20200203-151818_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20200203-151856_Photos.jpg

These are the FLTs that are spoiling it for everyone.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Correct 👍
FLT’s no longer welcome 🤪
There are, however, loads and loads of aires and sites, I travelled the length of the country last year entirely on free aires.
An ‘unauthorised place’ is anywhere it isn’t specifically ‘authorised’ ! So, if there are no signs, it’s prohibited.
The sight of loads of white boxes on wheels taking up the best spots on the coast and leaving their waste has been legislated against, many of these folk are their own worst enemy.
.........and most of them are vegans and do yoga too🙄🤣

Dave

Can you please point to where we can find information on 'authorised' places. We have the usual apps. (park4night, searchforsites, campercontact, campingcar-infos) but they do not always inform one whether the places are authorised.

We do not like campsites, so are happy with aires or any other authorised parking. It is a pity that the portgalresident.com did not refer to such information, but your help would be welcome.

Geoff

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We've just been FLTs here in our region of Spain. One night, totally alone (and Covid travel legal). No hindrance to anyone or anything.

View attachment 454516

But then on our local coasts you get these FLTs. Camping for months on end. No emptying facilities 🙁 but plenty of bushes and a huge expanse of water 🤔, and "irrigation" water can be "sourced" from the greenhouses behind!!

View attachment 454528View attachment 454529

These are the FLTs that are spoiling it for everyone.
To be fair there are no emptying facilities here either .. ive not used my cassette in 2 months..

Ive got lots of dog poo bags though and 2 wide necked milk bottles 😁

There are ways and means

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
To be fair there are no emptying facilities here either .. ive not used my cassette in 2 months..

Ive got lots of dog poo bags though and 2 wide necked milk bottles 😁

There are ways and means

Ah but, you don't stay for six months in one place.

There is a certain odour in the place I photo'd, easily discerned if you just cycle through on the track.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Dave

Can you please point to where we can find information on 'authorised' places. We have the usual apps. (park4night, searchforsites, campercontact, campingcar-infos) but they do not always inform one whether the places are authorised.

We do not like campsites, so are happy with aires or any other authorised parking. It is a pity that the portgalresident.com did not refer to such information, but your help would be welcome.

Geoff
The problem with signs too is the fact that they are everywhere BUT like lots of places a blind eye is turned when it suits and enforced when it doesn't.

And that's the problem... when it becomes a gamble as to whether you get a knock on the door at stupid oclock or a sneaky fine months later

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back