LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
yes mitzi, I look at a price between £1,200 and £1,400 per mtrs ,,, usually,, On average! X
depends on the area too as working in the south in general is more expensive than up north. Millionaires row like sandbanks is meggabucks. South east is next expensive, especially near London. It's all relative

As for working to the book, that can overprice far to easy. The old fashioned surveyor price will be up to date but cost you. We caught one out who priced a job for us too high and tipped off his mate for a backhander to undercut us. The modern website idea is interesting but no experience of that

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
well mikey, it should tell me everything about pricing,, time allotted per job, cost to do, price to charge, plant hire costs, profit, wages etc,,, Apparently it’s quite comprehensive, and I will be able to use it as a reference book, just to make sure I’m not over or underpricing! I hope!! I shall post about it when I have it and have had a look! Xx

it’s arriving tomorrow!!

Now you just need to book the 3 day £1,500 course to learn how to use the book 😂😂

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Afternoon,,,

well I’ve just received delivery of the book !!!

my god, for a bricklayer like me, it’s a hard read,,, really comprehensive though, right down to how much hourly rate forprobably
everything,,,, I think for some people it may be fine, but for me I shall be using it as a reference book only,, Some interesting things in there though! So it’s prob worth the money! ( fully tax reliefableof course) ,,,,

well it’s boiling hot here, and I have taken the opportunity to get away from all my workings out to book a 3 o’clock tee off!! Lol.

when I played on Sunday I only
Played 9 holes on my own,, which I may do today, but the par for nine is 34,, I shot a respectable 40,, unwitnessed unfortunately, but I’m pleased with my progression after a long time away!

hope your having a smashing day,, chat later! Xxx

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Good morning,,

well I’m up again,, I actually was really tired at 8/30 last night, so I went to bed and slept like the dead!! Right today,,,,

my Lithuanian neighbour, who throughout this virus lockdown I have been taking shopping,rang me last night to ask a favour,,,

she has no floor covering in her house yet, due to cost etc, and she asked me if I would pop over to check out 3boxes of laminate flooring she was going to buy from a Facebook page, for £50,,, what her plan was, bless her,, was to get a couple of boxes at a time when they come up on fb, eBay etc, which of course unless they will be all the same wouldn’t work! I explained this too her and she then understood, but still said her budget would not allow her to pay anymore than £50 a week at the moment!
So it is with a smile and a spring in my step following in the great tradition and example that has been set by the funsters generosity on this website,, I am taking her to B@Q this morning, and buying some laminate flooring and underlay, and then I am going to help her lay her lounge floor,,, and she can pay me the money back over time when she has it!

don’t miss understand that I am flush with money, I’m not, but I can well afford to improve someone’s quality of life, and the kids for a couple of hundred quid! she made me laugh though, she said that she has to hoover the kids down before they go to school to get the concrete dust off their clothes! Lololololol. Imagine, kids in a line, getting hoovered!! Lolololol.

I hope your well and enjoying this hot weather again! Chat later with updates! Xxxxx

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We have to be a bit careful people, although I’m pricing and looking at all this work,, none has hit my to do list yet! Lol. But I’m feeling very positive about things, wich is always good! Xxxx

ok what I have done this morning, is order what’s called Spons pricing book from amazon,, it’s a contractors price guide,, it will be very handy for referencing and a general guide, but I think the coatings will shock me! The price of the book is bad enough,, £135.00. For a book!!! Lol

Generally for just a pink box extension work on around £1200 to £ 1500 a square metre.

If it’s a small extension the price per metre rises as it’s less efficient to build.

If the client trusts you and your happy build it in cost plus 20% and 10% on materials.

You don’t stress over pricing and they pay less for the job.
Win win 😊

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Good morning,,

well I’m up again,, I actually was really tired at 8/30 last night, so I went to bed and slept like the dead!! Right today,,,,

my Lithuanian neighbour, who throughout this virus lockdown I have been taking shopping,rang me last night to ask a favour,,,

she has no floor covering in her house yet, due to cost etc, and she asked me if I would pop over to check out 3boxes of laminate flooring she was going to buy from a Facebook page, for £50,,, what her plan was, bless her,, was to get a couple of boxes at a time when they come up on fb, eBay etc, which of course unless they will be all the same wouldn’t work! I explained this too her and she then understood, but still said her budget would not allow her to pay anymore than £50 a week at the moment!
So it is with a smile and a spring in my step following in the great tradition and example that has been set by the funsters generosity on this website,, I am taking her to B@Q this morning, and buying some laminate flooring and underlay, and then I am going to help her lay her lounge floor,,, and she can pay me the money back over time when she has it!

don’t miss understand that I am flush with money, I’m not, but I can well afford to improve someone’s quality of life, and the kids for a couple of hundred quid! she made me laugh though, she said that she has to hoover the kids down before they go to school to get the concrete dust off their clothes! Lololololol. Imagine, kids in a line, getting hoovered!! Lolololol.

I hope your well and enjoying this hot weather again! Chat later with updates! Xxxxx
Hi Ian
There should be some freecycle groups in your area where folks give household items away rather than take them to the tip. Most items are pretty good and serviceable. Maybe worth checking out a few of these sites to see if there is anything else she may need. (y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Ian
There should be some freecycle groups in your area where folks give household items away rather than take them to the tip. Most items are pretty good and serviceable. Maybe worth checking out a few of these sites to see if there is anything else she may need. (y)
Jimbohorlicks
I would normally agree with you re Freecycle. When we moved here 4 years ago we gave away lots of stuff on freecycle. It’s a good way to dispose of things while helping others.

However (I don’t know if it’s just local or national), we have been looking to dispose of some white goods less than three years old in the last three weeks. All local Freecycle groups have closed, temporarily, due to CV. No-one wants to trust someone-else’s “cast offs”, or so we are told.

I am sure it will improve again when the fear factor reduces.

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Generally for just a pink box extension work on around £1200 to £ 1500 a square metre.

If it’s a small extension the price per metre rises as it’s less efficient to build.

If the client trusts you and your happy build it in cost plus 20% and 10% on materials.

You don’t stress over pricing and they pay less for the job.
Win win 😊
Where I get a bit lost foxy is does that price include skips, plant hire, basic electrics, plumbing if reqd etc?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Jimbohorlicks
I would normally agree with you re Freecycle. When we moved here 4 years ago we gave away lots of stuff on freecycle. It’s a good way to dispose of things while helping others.

However (I don’t know if it’s just local or national), we have been looking to dispose of some white goods less than three years old in the last three weeks. All local Freecycle groups have closed, temporarily, due to CV. No-one wants to trust someone-else’s “cast offs”, or so we are told.

I am sure it will improve again when the fear factor reduces.
Ours have reopened, I put some garden chairs on ours, left them out in the front garden for a couple of days and they were taken without any contact.
Lots of items advertised and wanted on ours now. (y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Ours have reopened, I put some garden chairs on ours, left them out in the front garden for a couple of days and they were taken without any contact.
Lots of items advertised and wanted on ours now. (y)
Where we used to live anything left in the front garden for a a couple of days would be taken without any contact.:cool:

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Where we used to live anything left in the front garden for a a couple of days would be taken without any contact.:cool:
That was the same here with scrap items, washers etc, but now the srappies require a licence they are few and far between now. (y)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Good morning,,

So the question is did you get it laid ?
The floor not the lady 😂😂

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Well good afternoon,,,

move had a lovely day so far,, B@Q for flooring, only £12.00 per mtrs,, needed 24 mtrs,, and didn’t have one board spare!! Lol.

spent two hours with the kids and mum laying floor,, under instruction of course! Lol

had four cups of tea, and finished an hour ago, just showered cause i was minging!!

now this will be a lesson to all I think!!!

I took Velma to get the floor,, got back, laid the floor ( with underlay etc,, tears in the house when I’d finished, all were well emotionall,,,,

now as I was working,,, I had three phone calls,,, one from a job I priced last week,, Ian, we would very much like you to go ahead with our job! ( small extension for a toilet and basin! ).

and two more calls for local jobs, one garden wall, and one wall to come down between a toilet and bathroom! And gave them rough prices over the phone, both accepted without hesitation! Lovely,,, So the moral of the story is,,, be generous with other people less fortunate, and you will be repaid many times over! Lol. Bonus!! Xxxxxx 0D9F4BB2-1096-41DB-BA07-BF1AA34EA107.jpeg3FA22460-1627-403B-994B-6C561FC07730.jpeg

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
When I was in business I did a lot of work for people for little or no immediate reward. Solicitors have a pompous Latin expression for it...”pro bono”.

I found that many many people came back to me,sometimes years later,and asked me to do work for them,for which I was handsomely rewarded.

I don’t know much about karma,I was just brought up to help folk when you can,and I seem to have reaped the benefits.

Good luck Ian.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Only way to price a job Ian is to start from scratch.
All this £1200M2 is a load of shite, every job is different so needs a proper look at.

Have a builder near me, he price’s every job cheap so no one else gets a look in then has 100 blokes trying to make him money!
If he priced it correctly and cut down on blokes he would make more.
Good luck.

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Ok, good morning,,,,

well it’s bloody roasting outside already!!
I have the blinds closed in my window and I have a fan on max already! Can get like an oven in here! Luckily the door to the hall, which leads to the bed/ bath is the start of my cool area, at least ten degrees cooler in the bedroom than the lounge, bonus!!

rightan update on work!
Went to see a little proposed garden wall yesterday, price came out at £1200, gave customer the price and now it’s up to him!

also looked at a knock through,anotger £1500 or thereabouts, again, it’s up to him!

but I did have a strange call yesterday evening,,,, The-customer for large extension I had priced, at the rate of £1400 per sq mtre, 39.3 sq mts, rang me and asked if I knew how to solve a little problem he had found, while exposing his bathroom floor,,, a couple of the joists are rotten and not being supported,, so when the wall downstairs comes down It may move a bit,,, I explained a way to renew, with trimmers and more joists, hangers etc and he was well pleased,,, in fact he was so pleased he asked me to come over today at 1pm to discuss the job!

now I also took the time to explain to him about the cost + 20% pricing structure that silver fox mentioned to me,, and he sounded well impressed, saving money is a huge bonus!!

well, I shall update this afternoon or evening, and let you know what’s occurring!!

on Monday I start my little wc extension
And all materials and skip are expected Monday morning!

have a smashing day,, laters! Xxxxx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back