Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
It never was.

If you don’t watch live broadcast or bbc I player no need for a tv license.
Unless things have changed you always needed a TV licence for a TV.
It is, or was, a licence to use a receiver not a licence to watch BBC.
Any working television receiver has to be covered by a licence.

Richard.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!

Richard.

You do not need a licence to own a tv or receiver

From tv licence website:

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:
  • watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
  • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.
This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
And 300 other channels for free ? .....I'd rather drink the coffee and watch those
290 channels of absolute rubbish but you still need a licence to watch them..BUSBY,,:LOL::LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I think everyone should just stop paying the tv license , even the great dictator boris says it needs rethought that everyone paying a license for 1 bloody channel.

I've not bought one in about 8 years
If I understand correctly, you prefer not to obey the law?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I think everyone should just stop paying the tv license , even the great dictator boris says it needs rethought that everyone paying a license for 1 bloody channel.

I've not bought one in about 8 years
I never bought one when i lived with my mother,,gave her half towards it though..BUSBY.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008

From tv licence website:

• watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.
I stand corrected on a point of law. :giggle:
However, you try persuading a licence detector bod that the large screen TV in the corner is NEVER used to watch live TV.:banghead:

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
The maximum fine for no TV license is £1000.

I haven't paid it since I got my own place in 2004. Got all the usual computer generated letters, had a visit once when I was at work and he left a card. Even if I got caught now I would still be up enough to afford a few costas.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
290 channels of absolute rubbish but you still need a licence to watch them..BUSBY,,:LOL::LOL:
Well need is a matter of opinion
The bbc say you need one but its uninforcable

I had a guy come to my door about 5 years ago said " you dont have a tv licence " I said " that's right " he said " do you have a tv ?" I said " yes" he said " then you need a licence " I said " it works fine without one "
He said " can I come in and see it ?" I said " no I'm not interested in anything you're selling " and closed the door

I had 2 or 3 letters arrive after that which I binned and received nothing since.

Never were detection Van's

Not legally enforceable

Cant prove anything

So nope not paying one and most of my mates do the same

Of course england may be different laws etc but they cant force their way in to your house , the police aren't interested it's not a crime....if everyone simply refused to pay it then it would be shelved

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Well need is a matter of opinion
The bbc say you need one but its uninforcable

I had a guy come to my door about 5 years ago said " you dont have a tv licence " I said " that's right " he said " do you have a tv ?" I said " yes" he said " then you need a licence " I said " it works fine without one "
He said " can I come in and see it ?" I said " no I'm not interested in anything you're selling " and closed the door

I had 2 or 3 letters arrive after that which I binned and received nothing since.

Never were detection Van's

Not legally enforceable

Cant prove anything

So nope not paying one and most of my mates do the same

Of course england may be different laws etc but they cant force their way in to your house , the police aren't interested it's not a crime....if everyone simply refused to pay it then it would be shelved
Well if it's not a crime how come there are at least a dozen fined in local magistrates court in Derby every month..BUSBY.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.

Richard.
You only need a licence to watch LIVE TV. and or iplayer.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well if it's not a crime how come there are at least a dozen fined in local magistrates court in Derby every month..BUSBY.
Are they though ? Or is that just scare media like the alleged detector Van's of the 80's?

As I said might be different in England you have weird laws compared to scotland

But I dont know anyone that's ever been pursued for no tv licence up here and I honestly couldn't tell you a friend or relative that's bought one in years

Many protested after the saville , Harris paedophile nonsense lol

I just grudge paying for a channel I never watch

Boris is gonna remove it anyway as hes upset with the bbc ?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The maximum fine for no TV license is £1000.

I haven't paid it since I got my own place in 2004. Got all the usual computer generated letters, had a visit once when I was at work and he left a card. Even if I got caught now I would still be up enough to afford a few costas.
Have you ever met or heard of anyone up here being pursued for it ?

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Have you ever met or heard of anyone up here being pursued for it ?

Well I did get that 'I called but no one was in' card signed from an enforcement officer. Just the once I got that though in about 14 years at that address.

Myself and 2 friends used to have a running joke about all the letters we got for not paying it. One of us might of had a 14th 'final warning' letter whilst another has already had the final warning ones and now he is back to the green softly softly 'please by a license' ones.

The weakest one out of the 3 friends did get a visit and got spooked in to buying one. Sap. :LOL:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It is and always was a criminal offence. The new Government is about to decriminalise it. There are quite a few You Tube videos of people avoiding payment. It boils down to not letting them in until they get a Court Order (if they bother to do so) then when they do come in with their Court Order have no evidence of an aerial connection to the TV.

I pay mine.

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Well I had a look, and it seems at the moment I have to have one! So I got one,, hopefully next year there won’t be one! Or non prosecutable to not have one! X

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Tomorrow morning at about 9.30 I pick up my van,, then I go to a geezers house and get my sofa and armchair,, I have no idea if it will all fit in one journey, but if I have to do 2 that’s ok by me,, a nearly new sofa and armchair for £50 I don’t mind a couple of journeys!

nonny and Joanne have just left from next door, and I got a nice goodbye, see you later from jo/Joanne,,, And I called him babe,, it’s what I call everyone female, he smiled so I don’t think I have to worry about getting his/ her name wrong! Lol.

I have just erected a temp wardrobe I got from amazon £29 it’s perfect for what I want so it might not be so temporary! Like the bed! lol.

I have a shelving unit coming tomorrow

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Tomorrow morning at about 9.30 I pick up my van,, then I go to a geezers house and get my sofa and armchair,, I have no idea if it will all fit in one journey, but if I have to do 2 that’s ok by me,, a nearly new sofa and armchair for £50 I don’t mind a couple of journeys!

nonny and Joanne have just left from next door, and I got a nice goodbye, see you later from jo/Joanne,,, And I called him babe,, it’s what I call everyone female, he smiled so I don’t think I have to worry about getting his/ her name wrong! Lol.

I have just erected a temp wardrobe I got from amazon £29 it’s perfect for what I want so it might not be so temporary! Like the bed! lol.

I have a shelving unit coming tomorrow

its when he/ she starts calling you babe you should worry.

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Well I’ve just been outside to my old van and I never even knew it was blowing a gale,, lol

if I was in Helga now, I’d be rocking about!!

image.jpgHere’s that temp wardrobe!

And another thing, my heating ive set on 19.5 degrees, the main one, I’ve got a separate heating controller for the bedroom, which I’ve turned off,,, my thermostat for three days says the room temp is 21 , lounge, hall, bathroom, kitchen, I havnt heard my heating come on at all, these places are really well insulated,, no draughty round windows, under doors,, I think I’ve had a right result! X

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You need to check the facts on that - I don't believe that is the case anymore?

My understanding is that everybody that watches the BBC on any format needs a licence!

No need to check.

License is to cover live broadcast, that’s any channel, and in the past few years it was brought into law bbc iplayer ?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

From tv licence website:

Thank you ?

The devil is in the detail or in this case the wording ??

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I stand corrected on a point of law. :giggle:
However, you try persuading a licence detector bod that the large screen TV in the corner is NEVER used to watch live TV.:banghead:

You don’t have to prove it.

Don’t let them in your house, they don’t hold the powers for forcible entry ??

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't knock it until you try it ?? BUSBY.
I'm worried about you, I knew a guy who left his wife and kids for a bloke and those were his exact words. :smiley:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back