Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Plymouth UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2015
I thought we might stay on one of the Aires at Utah Beach owned by Camping Car Park when in France next week. How do I go about getting a card and registering? I have been on their website but it's not much help, to do anything you need a card first.

TIA. Chris

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
The entry barrier system on these aires allows you to set up an account and get a card from the machine if it’s your first visit.

Be aware it can feel quite slow getting set up to join this network as you have to set up an account by inputting info on the screen there and then but once you have the card the process is straightforward.

OP
OP
chrisinplymouth

chrisinplymouth

Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Plymouth UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2015
The entry barrier system on these aires allows you to set up an account and get a card from the machine if it’s your first visit.

Be aware it can feel quite slow getting set up to join this network as you have to set up an account by inputting info on the screen there and then but once you have the card the process is straightforward.

Thank you

OP
OP
chrisinplymouth

chrisinplymouth

Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Plymouth UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2015

I found this page previously but when you click on buy a card it says you need an account set up ......and to do that you need a card!

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
There are some of the payment machines that can be a bit tricky - we’ve sat on a couple of them and seen people get frustrated with paying and go away (mainly French, so not a problem with payment card.) But they can be a very helpful addition to the options, even though they are criticised in French mh magazines for making it easy for communes to turn previously free Aires into a paying proposition.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I found this page previously but when you click on buy a card it says you need an account set up ......and to do that you need a card!

It is a bit confusing ! I was a bit flummoxed (that’s a nice word :)) when we got one a few years ago, we don’t use it that often but every now and again we find it handy. We had a lovely stay at one of these at Azay le Rideau a few weeks ago.

0850D945-9B25-4FA3-8767-AA1BDDDD48AB.jpeg

2D25500F-FF48-4C00-98BB-228FA9BB9D75.jpeg

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I've just gone through the buy a card and when it says login, I did and it says not recognised, do you want to register. Which I did to try it out and I think I've joined.:eek::eek: Soon find out when I'm charged €4:00:oops::oops:

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
@chrisinplymouth
I managed to buy a card (4€) and load it with the minimum amount of credit (10€) , however like you perhaps I was struggling with the website.
It just kept going round a click to buy/login/click to buy/login circular route.
I found it was my browser (Brave) which is heavily protected with God knows how many blockers etc.

Once I tied the same thing with Firefox it was much easier.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I've just gone through the buy a card and when it says login, I did and it says not recognised, do you want to register. Which I did to try it out and I think I've joined.:eek::eek: Soon find out when I'm charged €4:00:oops::oops:
:whew::whew: Looks like I've only registered as I still have the option to buy the card and top up pack for €14:00. (y)(y)

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
:whew::whew: Looks like I've only registered as I still have the option to buy the card and top up pack for €14:00. (y)(y)

Phew ! It might be easier at the barrier then if you already have an account ?

Dec 30, 2017
North Devon
Funster No

Thanks for reminding me to do this.

I've just managed to order a card after going round the maisons a while.

You have to 1stly set up an account by registering on the login page.

Then you can buy a card and add some value to it, but I found that only works if you do it in French! It works pretty well even though my french is basic.

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
Got my card at the Aires at Souillac. Registered etc at the machine and a card popped out of the machine. Keep getting emails in English & French advertising the Aires they have taken over.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks all I'll give it a try when I get there! I take it the machine takes credit card?

Yes it’s the only option or otherwise topping up
your account online, again using your credit card.

Hope it goes well (y)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We ve had one of these for a while. They work Ok buts its a bit irritating that you can never top them up with a value equal to a multiple of the daily charges, so you re always left with credit on them but its never enough for the next time.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
As it happens, we are sat on one at the moment, in the centre of Evereux, west of Paris.
We have had one of their cards for about 3 years so, as someone said earlier, it is straightforward to use. There is always a little bit of credit on so you just hold the card against the keypad at the entry barrier...

IMG_20190313_180917.jpg

Once we are in, go online and add €10 using a visa debit that doesn't charge.
When you are ready to leave, place your card against the corresponding exit keypad and the barrier goes up and out you go.
This is the entry machine if you don't have a card..

IMG_20190313_180859.jpg

As you can see, there are instructions in English.

This one in Evereux is almost in the centre of the town/city, with the Concert hall, a municipal building, and a Great Western hotel as neighbours yet it is remarkably green.

IMG_20190313_181237.jpg

IMG_20190313_181126.jpg

IMG_20190313_181026.jpg

There are six pitches, all flat concrete, all have their size shown

IMG_20190313_181203.jpg

and bordered by hedges. There is even a pick your own herb garden..

IMG_20190313_181225.jpg

All the services, ehu & WiFi €9.20 a night. There is the biggest Cora hypermarket I have ever seen about 200 metres away.
You almost have to get a bus to cross the carpark.

Barry

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
My first experience with this company was at the above (Evreux). I tried to follow the destructions, but the bollard wouldn’t play ball. I used the phone number on the bollard and gave them a bell. The call centre was brilliant. Perfect English - talked me through the procedure. Out popped a card and hey presto, I got in! So, I would recommend phoning them if any probs.
Évreux is a very popular Aire and people book it in advance! This is why I had problems gaining access. There were spaces, but they were booked. I got a cancellation.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Agree with Wingman above, the helpline is very helpful, we have used it a couple of times. All instructions on how you buy a card, top up and enter the sites are in English too and the phone number is always displayed on the entrance boards.
I would recommend buying at the machine rather than doing it online. It’s far simpler.

Sep 6, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Low-profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
We first tried to use a Camping Car Park at Nantes in September. We had terrible problems with the entrance machine, we got our card but could not gain access, the machine would not recognise the card. Very disgruntled we booked into the campsite next door. However peace was quickly restored when I phoned the help line, they activated our card and were extremely helpful. We use our internet account to top up.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
For a sensible Brit it takes less than 5 min to set up an account and get a card at the barrier but if you are French it takes 20-30 min then give up and go away. I've seen this with the French loads of times.

I only ever put enough on the card for one night then if we stay longer just top it up before we leave.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
It is a bit confusing ! I was a bit flummoxed (that’s a nice word :)) when we got one a few years ago, we don’t use it that often but every now and again we find it handy. We had a lovely stay at one of these at Azay le Rideau a few weeks ago.

View attachment 289643
View attachment 289644
Lovely place stayed there last September.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We had a lovely stay at one of these at Azay le Rideau a few weeks ago.
Stayed year before last, on what was part of the municipal site stayed on that over 20 years ago.
Did you sample the restaurant just up the road?
We did, cost us a €100.:eek:

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Stayed year before last, on what was part of the municipal site stayed on that over 20 years ago.
We did, cost us a €100.:eek:

Blimey, luckily we were there in February and most of the town was shut pre season :whew: . Was it a very nice meal ?

We did enjoy a lovely trip to the Chateau which was open,the size of the car park made us think it might be heaving in the summer,

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
We did, cost us a €100
Les Grottes on the corner, had some outstanding meals in there, and the supermarket sells unpasteurized milk from a machine outside.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Les Grottes on the corner, had some outstanding meals in there, and the supermarket sells unpasteurized milk from a machine outside.
We stayed there a few days before @Jenben. It is a lovely place. There wasn’t much choice of places to eat so we ended up paying a fortune for a couple of burgers at a place on the corner not far from the aire. I don’t know what it was called.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
For a sensible Brit it takes less than 5 min to set up an account and get a card at the barrier but if you are French it takes 20-30 min then give up and go away. I've seen this with the French loads of times.

We were just having our tea last night when there was a knock on the door. It was a French couple trying to gain entry to the Aire and couldn't understand how to use the machine using the French instructions:whistle:

We went out and between the four of us, managed to get the machine to spit out a card.
Mr Frenchman then spent 20 minutes trying to figure out which end of the hook up cable went where!

there was a Free one in Evereux back in the 90`s?.
Way before my time:whistle: This one looks fairly new, purpose built and is the only one shown in Camper contact.

Barry

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
We're on one at Dreux just now. Concrete (so not muddy), flat, hook up, water, dumping and Wi-Fi. €10.
I was a bit against them at first as they cost money, but now see them as a good compromise between a campsite and a free Aire, but still use the free ones - we were on a brilliant village centre one the previous night.
When we get home, I'm going to ask them if they're discussing the concept with any UK councils, there are a few bits of ground near where I live which would be ideal and could presumably earn the council a few quid. And Dunfermline has an interesting history, Abbey and palace, well worth visiting.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Way before my time:whistle: This one looks fairly new, purpose built and is the only one shown in Camper contact.

I suppose I could say the same?. But then I`d be telling "Porkies".:D2. We used to take the R-V`s overland to Spain, Back when, and often used Aires as night halts. But I have had to get "creative" on occasion, once parked in the town square (R-V + 15ft bed trailer) "somewhere" in France, the Gendarme who came to look merely said "nice rig" or words to that effect in French, gave us the thumbs up. and left us in peace, By 6am we where back on the road!. Cemetery Car park on one occasion (the Aire was closed).:( Outside the gates of a couple of Closed campsites.:whistle: Happy days!!(y):D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back