Tam &Toby do Europe ...Take two (2 Viewers)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Does this happen so much in other EU countries, I know we have many over here rescued by the RSPCA, but surely not so many dumped in bins at such a tender age.
Take a look at this in Crete. Takis currently has 340 dogs, several cats and 2 goats and almost daily he is getting calls from people asking him to take another distressed animal. It's a bloody disgrace!! Our first 2 dogs were rescued in Crete. The first (Roly) was just running wild on the beach, he was only about 9 months old. The second (Martha) had been poisoned and dumped on the road near our house. We gave her the antidote and she survived but it was obvious she had recently given birth. 2 days later 2 puppies were dumped in the same place!!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Take a look at this in Crete. Takis currently has 340 dogs, several cats and 2 goats and almost daily he is getting calls from people asking him to take another distressed animal. It's a bloody disgrace!! Our first 2 dogs were rescued in Crete. The first (Roly) was just running wild on the beach, he was only about 9 months old. The second (Martha) had been poisoned and dumped on the road near our house. We gave her the antidote and she survived but it was obvious she had recently given birth. 2 days later 2 puppies were dumped in the same place!!

What a top man!

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010

I know someone who lives in Crete, they periodically round up stray cats and have neutering days. There are also a couple who walk 12 dogs near me, they are all Greek Rescue dogs and when they rehome 2 or 3 they "restock" as far as I know they don't make money out of it, far from it, they both work to support the dogs.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

I've seen articles about him before ...amazing guy

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I know someone who lives in Crete, they periodically round up stray cats and have neutering days. There are also a couple who walk 12 dogs near me, they are all Greek Rescue dogs and when they rehome 2 or 3 they "restock" as far as I know they don't make money out of it, far from it, they both work to support the dogs.
Are you talking about Ambers Hope run by John and Tracee? They do a fantastic job and John makes regular overland trips to the UK to deliver dogs that have been adopted by people in the UK. They are closely associated with Hectors House - another Cretan rescue shelter. We used to live in Crete and have and continue to be quite active in supporting the shelters. We are going over in the motorhome in April and I have just made 10 dog/cat beds to deliver to Takis.
Our current dog is a rescue from Portugal who we collected from Many Tears in Wales.

https://www.ambershopecrete.com/hope-for-amber/

http://www.hectorshousecrete.org/

https://www.manytearsrescue.org/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That's like Silvia who is a doctor and still works , you can tell when you visit her house she puts everything in to helping those dogs , there's about 80 or 90 in the yard then the house has dogs in every room even the bathroom had a mother and puppies in it.
She looks after that shelter mostly on her own , Sharon handles all the online stuff and adoptions etc as most are rehomed out of Spain...the UK Holland and France being the most likely destinations.

The Spanish also have a fear of black dogs ....I've heard a few people now mutter "Diablo Perro " devil dog when passing jade and I

Superstition means few black dogs get rehomed In spain :(

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
They do have tails or at least Milo and Mitch do just very little ones. Have those been cut do you think?

All dogs are born with tails Tam. there are exceptional cases that they may need docking for medical reasons but it is 99% tradition and fashion. Humans think they can improve the design. It is not so long ago it was banned in the UK!

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Superstition means few black dogs get rehomed In spain :(

Easy solution to that. :D

4FCE20B3-5216-4A68-84D0-C7FCC4A123CC.jpeg

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You are absolutely right Tam, no animal should be treated that way, it's totally barbaric and inexcusable. It's also quite beyond my comprehension why someone who is going to leave them to starve to death in a bin would dock their tails! Maybe so when they were found dead they would look cosmetically better? Sick ba****rd!
Thank you for posting those pics Tam, very shocking and saddening.
Three puppies were left in a crate on a piece of waste ground outside camping roquetas last year. All of them were taken on, Dutch couple(who had lost their chocolate lab the year before) had one, the other two by a German couple.Saw them again this year,& their all doing well:D.Nice to know sometimes there are happy endings for the poor little mites.(y).

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Are you talking about Ambers Hope run by John and Tracee? They do a fantastic job and John makes regular overland trips to the UK to deliver dogs that have been adopted by people in the UK. They are closely associated with Hectors House - another Cretan rescue shelter. We used to live in Crete and have and continue to be quite active in supporting the shelters. We are going over in the motorhome in April and I have just made 10 dog/cat beds to deliver to Takis.
Our current dog is a rescue from Portugal who we collected from Many Tears in Wales.

No, it's not them. Guess there are quite a few people doing it.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So you think his tail was longer originally?

Wonder why they did that

His wee tail is cute though

Sep 14, 2018
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato compass drift
Exp

Well, this will be my most unproductive day at work...Ever. As now I am going to have to have a look at all of these. :):)

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
You can't help being so tasty Tam, it's just a shame for you that the students don't seem to be biting this year lol.
Not to worry its early days yet :LOL:

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You can't help being so tasty Tam, it's just a shame for you that the students don't seem to be biting this year lol.
Not to worry its early days yet :LOL:
Aye I've had nae luck this year
The worrying part is I'm not really that bothered and it's the first time I've felt like that ...I've always liked my own space but I'd be lying if I said I dont get lonely and wouldn't object to having a sort of casual but not suffocating relationship.
But I'm slowly starting to think why bother .....

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Just don't over think it Tam, if it happens enjoy it, if not, don't worry.
Last year it was all new to you , this year you've got more used to your own company.
Even the most anti social of us probably feel a bit lonely on occasion, I think it's probably human nature to look for a mate, otherwise the species would have become extinct a long while ago.
I certainly don't think dogs are human substitutes, (they are probably better), but they are warm loving creatures to whom and from whom we can give and receive affection.
As long as you give yourself the opportunity to interact occasionally with other humans , which the pups will give you every opportunity to do all can be perfectly happy in your solitary male world.;)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm curious as to whether anyone has researched if dogs have a sixth sense.

We are in the van ( bit cooler today ) have been in van a good few hours , front blinds are closed I'm sat in the cab seat reading dogs are lying sleeping on the sofa I have music on not really loud but loud enough ..

So how come the dogs can sense when someone with a dog is walking nearby?

They wake up and start barking even when the person and dog is still 50-60 metres away making no noise.
Its uncanny but has happened about 6 or 7 times in the last couple of hours

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
I bet you were petrified ! As you say most embarrassing but no less terrifying at the time.
My dogs alas would not ward off intruders,they would welcome them with wagging tails and open paws.
Many years ago I lived alone (with my little Bearded Collie) in an isolated house in the Highlands.
One Sunday morning I was awoken at 3:40 am by an unknown male hammering on my door demanding to be let in .
To cut a long story short I too dialed 999
The police arrived some 40 mins later, I skulked upstairs in the dark whilst waiting their arrival.
They had apprehended my drunken would be intruders on their way to me and given him a lift to his home before returning to reassure me.
When I saw their flashing blue light approaching i ventured down stairs, puthe kitchen light on and unbolted the door.
My Beardie greeted the two policemen enthusiastically and on looking around the kitchen (the outside door opened directly off the kitchen), I saw that she had carried her food bowl under the kitchen table , picked up the mat from in front of the kitchen sink and carefully packed it on top of her food!
She obviously had her priorities!
During this episode she hadn't made a sound lol.
Though in fairness to her in the 15years I have owned her, it is not until a couple of months ago that I have ever heard her bark (and that is a very strange, strangulated noise).

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Their hearing is way more astute than ours Tam , but I also believe their instincts /sixth sense is also way more highly tuned and accurate than ours- we 'superior ' human beings have largely lost these (survival ) instincts as we have become more "civilised ", a case of "use it or lose it".

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Everything in this country bites me
If it's no mosquitoes it's flies and even bloody ladybugs

Sometimes diet can cause a person to be very tasty to bugs, meat, carbs and sugar traces are all detected by insects and they tuck in. Changing to a purely vegan diet without carbs (i.e. just unprocessed vegetables and no white rice or flour) can make you neutral to insects so they'll tend to ignore you.

We also found a similar thing with cats and fleas, after we ditched cat-food and fed ours lightly fry-sealed turkey etc (i.e. no catfood with all of it's carbohydrates) we discovered after a while that that all the fleas had left too and never came back! For their final old-age years we couldn't find a single sign of a flea on any of them - spooky and super clean.

Great thread BTW, Jade looks a really fine smart dog, Milo is cute and good to read to inspire me about where to go and what to see in a motorhome/camper!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back