Tam, Jade and Franky's European Adventure (5 Viewers)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Thanks for the well wishes peeps.

So it's been a weird couple of weeks , few tears a few fallouts a lot of tough words and a bit of coaxing etc.

Mum had by Christmas lost 3 stone since going in to hospital on the 2nd October.
25% of her body weight in total. Still not great on the eating but it's getting better, drinking has improved a lot but again still not perfect but definately better.
Best news is we have been getting her up everyday ...usually a couple of times , getting dressed daily and we've had her off the ward on a good few occasions in a wheeled chair.
So definate signs of improvement and she has gained 200 grams in weight this week lol.
Not a lot but it's in the right direction for once.
Jade has been in a few times now and is a big hit with all the patients and the nursing staff.
So good signs of improvement, the docs think it will still be 6 months to.a year of rehab required but time will tell , she's got no muscles so that's the biggest problem and because still not eating enough it's not easy to build them but little by little.

So I'm heading off on my next adventure on January 15th .....probably take 2 or 3 days down to the tunnel and then head down through France in to Spain. I can't collect milo till February 20th as he will be 6 months then and can have all his blood tests etc done and be neutered.

I've one query ....taking jade back to Europe do I need to.do the worming passport stamp thing leaving UK or is that only for coming in to.uk ?

Jul 22, 2017
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Starting to understand
All sounds very positive Tam, good start to 2019 for all. Enjoy your trip, i'm off on the 20th through France, Spain & Canary Islands. Safe trip .

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Sounds as if she’s heading in the right direction. She’ll take heart from your updates and photos of your travels too ... next best thing to getting out and about herself. Looking forward to updates of your next trip myself (y)

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Great to hear that mum is improving if only slightly, fingers crossed for further improvements over the coming weeks/months. Sounds like you need a break so happy travels.

Sep 8, 2017
Monmouth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4
Exp
Since March 2015
We are all with you Tam. Small steps but great leaps for your Mum. Keep us all in the loop and we willl be following right beh8nd you. Happy New Year and definitely HAPPY TRAVELS X

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
Glad you’re still planning ahead and being positive. Sometimes an older person needs positive encouragement from a younger person. Keep it up. X

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Good news about your mum even if it is small steps .
Enjoy your travels and hope you carry on with the thread as we all love to see your photos and read your adventures . Plus look forward to seeing Milo!
Take care and safe travels!

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
A question for the more frequent channel crossers among you..

Is there any benefit to booking the chunnel ahead or is it the same price if I was to book it say the day before etc?

Mainly incase there's any hiccups on my intended leaving day and in case I end up down there a day earlier or later than intended.

The last and only time I've used it I somehow managed to book through a sure that asked me dimensions of van etc and I was informed on here I paid too much.
I plan to leave here a week on Tuesday the 15th and head down ...depending on my mood and wether I may take 2 days to travel down or 3 or 4.
I'd therfore prefer to jist book it the day before if no price benefit.

Toby was due mot in May and I don't plan to be back then so he's booked in on Friday for mot test

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
Hi Tam. We've found tne price does go up if you leave booking to just two or three days before so we usually try and book about a week ahead, assuming you're not travelling at a peak time. The tunnel are very good about changing your booking without admin charges.... Also if you book directly on tne eurotunnel website it doesn't ask lots of questions....just campervan, pets, and that's it..

Fingers crossed for a smooth getaway.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hi Tam. We've found tne price does go up if you leave booking to just two or three days before so we usually try and book about a week ahead, assuming you're not travelling at a peak time. The tunnel are very good about changing your booking without admin charges.... Also if you book directly on tne eurotunnel website it doesn't ask lots of questions....just campervan, pets, and that's it..

Fingers crossed for a smooth getaway.
I just had a wee look there and if I was to cross on Thursday 17th after 6pm it's £103 and then £19 For jade which I really don't get as she doesn't leave the van and uses nothing.

So £122 in total if I book today. I imagine all would be fine for then or the Friday.
I thought if I go evening rather than morning it saves finding somewhere this side to park up and can stay at cite Europe when I arrive.

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
Have a quick look at the prices for the day ahead as sometimes it does get a bit dearer round the weekend. They will let you travel but you have to pay the extra... I always think the dog charges are excessive but I think its to cover the checking centre for the return trip..... just wait till you've got the two to pay for!

We usually go for a latish crossing and stay at Cite Europe too...

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I always think the dog charges are excessive but I think its to cover the checking centre for the return trip..... just wait till you've got the two to pay for!

You already pay both ways, at least coming back they check the chip and passport.(n)

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
I just had a wee look there and if I was to cross on Thursday 17th after 6pm it's £103 and then £19 For jade which I really don't get as she doesn't leave the van and uses nothing.

So £122 in total if I book today. I imagine all would be fine for then or the Friday.
I thought if I go evening rather than morning it saves finding somewhere this side to park up and can stay at cite Europe when I arrive.
At £19 for Jade , make sure she makes her own deposit, don't pay it for her :D.
John

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Think you will find the lower prices are after 4pm on the way out and before 1pm (French time) coming back.
I would book at least 48hrs before travelling so that you don't have to pay the last minute 'panic' price.
We always travel just after 4pm and then nip round the corner to Cite Europe.
Have a great trip and I too look forward to following your adventures. (y):D

Richard.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
I believe £88.50 ow Newhaven/Dieppe inc dog and that's without the old farts discount. Have a look and check out the saved milage

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Can you not just bungee cord the dog to a cavity underneath, beside the grey tank?

Nobody will ever know.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Tam,
Is it worth asking if anyone wants a frequent travel partner?
Someone may want six leaving you four.
This means you would have to pay 4 x £46 upfront £184 but then you can use some or all of them as and when you want in the next twelve months.

You have to pay £12 motorhome surcharge only when you book it and same with Jade.

This way you can literally book from say, Canterbury P& R and then drive down to the tunnel.

Happy travels & I hope everything works out.

Barry

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Tam,
Is it worth asking if anyone wants a frequent travel partner?
Someone may want six leaving you four.
This means you would have to pay 4 x £46 upfront £184 but then you can use some or all of them as and when you want in the next twelve months.

You have to pay £12 motorhome surcharge only when you book it and same with Jade.

This way you can literally book from say, Canterbury P& R and then drive down to the tunnel.

Happy travels & I hope everything works out.

Barry
Pssst don't tell anyone but I'm planning and hoping to go over on the 17th and not come back till after new year lol . If I can keep under the radar that's my intention
Sod bloody brexit .....worse case scenario I'll get deported lol

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I believe £88.50 ow Newhaven/Dieppe inc dog and that's without the old farts discount. Have a look and check out the saved milage
Is that with a doggy cabin or would I have to leave her in van? ( don't want to do that if I can )

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
That's without a cabin and she would need to be left in the van for the four hour crossing. There is also an £18- charge for her.... There are some kennels but I think they're for foot passenger pets only. I haven't dared leave our two on a ferry crossing. They hate unexpected noises and those car decks are not the quietest or most pleasant of places. So it's the tunnel for us every time.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Hi Tam. Great to hear your next trip is imminent. Like so many others on here I look forward to reading all about your next adventure with Jade and new family member Milo.
Because I dread built up areas I always use the Newhaven/Dieppe crossing. The dogs think of the Moho as their home so are quite unconcerned when left in it for the four hour crossing. they have the freedom of the van and can either sit up on the seats or curl up on their beds, I always leave water available to them. I do not believe the lorry decks which the motorhomes share are plagued with alarms as the car decks may well
At Newhaven one can park up at the ferry terminal before departure and on landing at Dieppe there is an Aire a couple of hundred yards along the road.
Its a no brainer for me.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Is that with a doggy cabin or would I have to leave her in van? ( don't want to do that if I can )
Thought it was free for pets but @keades is right
Newhaven-Dieppe Route
Motorists can take their pet on holiday with them by booking online in advance for £18 per pet, each way. You can visit your pet in your vehicle during the crossing if accompanied by a crew member, but not during the first or final hour of the crossing. Foot passengers may travel with pets but your pets must remain in kennels in the car deck throughout the journey. Passengers are asked to carry pets on board in a suitable travelling case.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thanks for the well wishes peeps.

So it's been a weird couple of weeks , few tears a few fallouts a lot of tough words and a bit of coaxing etc.

Mum had by Christmas lost 3 stone since going in to hospital on the 2nd October.
25% of her body weight in total. Still not great on the eating but it's getting better, drinking has improved a lot but again still not perfect but definately better.
Best news is we have been getting her up everyday ...usually a couple of times , getting dressed daily and we've had her off the ward on a good few occasions in a wheeled chair.
So definate signs of improvement and she has gained 200 grams in weight this week lol.
Not a lot but it's in the right direction for once.
Jade has been in a few times now and is a big hit with all the patients and the nursing staff.
So good signs of improvement, the docs think it will still be 6 months to.a year of rehab required but time will tell , she's got no muscles so that's the biggest problem and because still not eating enough it's not easy to build them but little by little.

So I'm heading off on my next adventure on January 15th .....probably take 2 or 3 days down to the tunnel and then head down through France in to Spain. I can't collect milo till February 20th as he will be 6 months then and can have all his blood tests etc done and be neutered.

I've one query ....taking jade back to Europe do I need to.do the worming passport stamp thing leaving UK or is that only for coming in to.uk ?
Glad to hear that Mum is improving & fingers x'd it continues.
You already pay both ways, at least coming back they check the chip and passport.(n)
They only charge "both ways" to make it look cheaper. The actual charge is for incoming only.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
That's without a cabin and she would need to be left in the van for the four hour crossing. There is also an £18- charge for her.... There are some kennels but I think they're for foot passenger pets only. I haven't dared leave our two on a ferry crossing. They hate unexpected noises and those car decks are not the quietest or most pleasant of places. So it's the tunnel for us every time.

Indeed. Having travelled overnight in the cheap cabins in the past, which are the ones low down near the car decks, the main problem is all the numpties who lock their cars with the alarms armed - the motion sensors mean car alarms go off all night. Would frighten the living daylights out of any pets nearby.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back