LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Brilliant, wouldn't be without it. Had big bikes, cruisers, sports, VFR's, St 1300 but our 125 Yam fits the bill perfectly. Houses two lids and coats and lets us wander about unhindered. Takes the shopping when we're wearing the lids.

IMG_4978.JPG

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Any bikers braved their natural aversion to scooters and taken the plunge?

I can see myself having a dilemma in years to come - tow something heavier on a trailer that I *want* to have & ride but have all the hassle of a trailer, or put something small & light in the garage that I don't really want to have but in reality will do the job perfectly well.

I suppose it depends on what the "job" is - if it's nipping about locally to the shops and so on then something small is fine, if it's off out exploring further afield and riding for the (considerable) pleasure of riding then something a little larger is definitely required.

If you accept a scooter for what it is it's not a problem. If you expect it to be any sort of bike you will be very disappointed. I love my bikes and bike holidays but our Vespa 300 fits the bill for Motorhome tours. It beats cars away from the lights two up and will cruise at 80 two up if you want but a more sedate "keep up with the traffic style" is more relaxed.

I don't wear so much protective gear on the scooter and in the south of France I've been known to ride the Vespa in shorts and tee-shirt (my choice and yes I know the risks) where as my bikes don't come out the garage unless I'm covered head to toe in full protective gear. Then I do ride my bikes in a completely different style to the scooter.

In essence scooters are good but for me they are not a bike replacement.

This topic seems to come up quite frequently, I concur with the points made by@awg . I currently ride a KTM 1090 Adventure R, whilst SWMBO's Vespa GTS 300 is not replacement for my bike, I still like nipping about on the scooter. In fact I will tend to choose the Vespa for local trips/errands over my bike. It's just a different riding experience and horses for courses territory in my opinion.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
In fact I will tend to choose the Vespa for local trips/errands over my bike. It's just a different riding experience and horses for courses territory in my opinion.

I can see that, I guess it's just when it has to be a "take one or the other away with us" that the choice gets difficult! Don't get me wrong, I can see the practical appeal of a scooter and if it's *just* for nipping around locally why would you want anything else?

That Duke 390 of Richard & Ann's (well, maybe just Richard ;)) looks rather nice though, much smaller than I'd normally want in a bike but I could be easily tempted by that for the weight / power trade off. Ahh well, it's a pipe dream for a few years until it's just me & Mrs F going away anyway!

It doesn't help that one of my mates has just bought one of the 2 models of bike I'd really like new, and another mate has bought the other, it's as if it's a conspiracy to taunt me!!!! Always something more sensible and essential to spend the money on..... :(

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
If we take the scooter, SWMBO can also ride it and therefore go hunter gathering whilst I'm indulging in beer rehydration therapy (or similar laziness). Conversely, if we take my bike, I'm on the hook for such missions as her little stumpy dwarf legs are too short to ride it! ;)

It's a no-brainer for me. :)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
That's the problem we have with the MP3. Although Merilyn has a full bike licence she can't reach the floor while seated and it's too heavy for her to lean it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
That Duke 390 of Richard & Ann's (well, maybe just Richard ;)) looks rather nice though, much smaller than I'd normally want in a bike but I could be easily tempted by that for the weight / power trade off.

Oooo - I've just spotted that according to MCN the Duke 690 weighs the same as the 390 - now that sounds like fun....:)

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/ktm/690-duke/2016/

Pricey though, I can see why a 390 at 3 grand would be an attractive deal, plenty of newly qualified riders to sell it on to in future as well.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Oooo - I've just spotted that according to MCN the Duke 690 weighs the same as the 390 - now that sounds like fun....:)

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/ktm/690-duke/2016/

Pricey though, I can see why a 390 at 3 grand would be an attractive deal, plenty of newly qualified riders to sell it on to in future as well.
Only problem with the 690 is it's double the price, not worth it in my opinion. If I was spending that much I'd go for a naked in-line 4 like the Honda cb650f :love: heavy though.

My favourite bike at the minute is the Kawasaki Z900RS :whistle:

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
My favourite bike at the minute is the Kawasaki Z900RS :whistle:

Very nice. One of my mates has splashed out on a new Triumph Bonneville Thruxton R - lovely bike - yes, I'm jealous! I'd go out and get one tomorrow but whilst the bike *may* be too expensive for me divorce is *definitely* too expensive!

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Bought a used Peugeot Kisbee 103cc from a fellow motorhomer on another site on way home from Spain late November last year. 4 years old only ever used as a motorhome runabout less than 800 miles on the clock. Its been over 50 years since I owned one (a
B01F5BD0-EF19-4B40-A8EF-BEB7584DC940.jpeg
and it’s been absolutely brilliant here in Spain this last 6 weeks, shopping and short sightseeing trips and commuting around some larger campsites. It’s no motorway bruiser but is capable of 55 two up more than fast enough for an old fart like me, does 120+ to the gallon and weighs in at 92 kg (without beer cans!) so hardly notice it’s weight in garage when driving.

Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
You can pick these up for just over 3 grand pre registered. 149kg dry, 44bhp.
View attachment 217680
She'll do the ton and blow anything away up to 60mph (except another cycle of course) :rolleyes:

STOP IT WILL YA! ...... my bank card just slithered under the desk and said "don't you even consider it mate!!":D2

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014

The "plastic maggot"! I haven't seen of them in a very long time. Never the nicest nickname but it stuck! A friend of mine had a "turbo maggot" CX650 Turbo for a while, back when manufacturers were sticking a turbo on any (usually unsuitable) vehicle.

CB250RS was a great little bike but the cam ran directly in the soft alloy head, so they were very prone to wear & destroying the head unless decent oil was used and it was changed frequently - something that alas doesn't tend to happen on small bikes. I seem to remember camchain tensioners being a problem on many Honda's of that era, including the CX. Honda had such a bad reputation with reliability back then, culminating with the infamous "Cadbury cam" VF750, that's it's amazing they managed to so comprehensively claw back that reputation to the one they have now. They say the early VFR750's saved their reputation, I've had one for 24 years now and I have to say it's been fantastically reliable.

Anyway, back on topic, scooters! I think part of my aversion must be memories of the miserable 50cc moped I had as an impoverished 16 year old, the "Honda Express Deluxe" - which was neither Express nor Deluxe. I know the modern scooters have to be infinitely better but I still can't get that damn moped out of my head! One concern I would have with scooters is how nickable they are, they seem to be second only to off road bikes in terms of desirability to scumbags.

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Bought a used Peugeot Kisbee 103cc from a fellow motorhomer on another site on way home from Spain late November last year. 4 years old only ever used as a motorhome runabout less than 800 miles on the clock. Its been over 50 years since I owned one (a View attachment 217773 and it’s been absolutely brilliant here in Spain this last 6 weeks, shopping and short sightseeing trips and commuting around some larger campsites. It’s no motorway bruiser but is capable of 55 two up more than fast enough for an old fart like me, does 120+ to the gallon and weighs in at 92 kg (without beer cans!) so hardly notice it’s weight in garage when driving.

Exactly what I own. Fantastic little runaround, I've owned it from new and covered about 5000 miles. Only had to replace roller weights in clutch once - extremely easy diy job and cost about £10 for parts.

Rob

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
If you're concerned about nickability then you need an MP3. When its steering is locked everything's locked - steering, handbrake and suspension. Plus it weighs a ton so can't be tucked under an arm and carted off.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Filler in a bike frame :Eeek: that's a dangerous bodge if ever I heard one. Yes, I remember CX's having a frame rot problem.

I've got a 1989 VFR750 that I bought in 1994 and still have - they really were very well built, Honda had to salvage their reputation after the "Cadbury Cam" VF750 fiasco, which had the infamous "chocolate cams" that went from being lumpy to being round in a very short space of time! I've heard Honda lost money on every one of the early VFR's, they were over-engineered but as a result they really are bullet proof, I knew a dispatcher who had the same model as mine with over 200k on the original engine - untouched except for 2 new clutches and a starter clutch.

Some bits for mv VFR are starting to be hard to find and bike prices are going up, it's entering "classic" status, so I grabbed a spares bike for £300 to store away for the future - whilst it's a bit scruffy unusually all the plastics are there, I haven't really got the heart to break it, it's too good. All it's missing is a starter solenoid and a key!

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I use an Innova -been a biker for 50 yrs ranging from British (inc Goldie) BMW"s/Japs .Agree about the "chocolate cam Hondas but the Innova has roller bearings each side and is a doddle to work on.I now run a Deauville but find the Innova just as much fun -especially when away in the van and beauty is you can drive it up the ramp standing at side as its an auto.Cant tell its on back of van.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Hmm - I think you're right, thanks to you & other respondents for your comments.

Years ago as a student I bought a little Honda CB250RSA as a stop-gap between bigger bikes - riding it around Birmingham was a hoot, a little single-cylinder 4 stroke bike that was as skinny as could be, weighed nothing and I could thrash the pants off it riding full throttle everywhere. I'd rather have the modern equivalent of that to go in the garage than a scooter I think, despite a scooter undoubtedly being more practical. An automatic scooter just doesn't sound as much fun.

I've got a 250cc 2-stroke off-road bike that is great fun, maybe a small supermoto would be the way to go, might be a bit tall for a garage though. Or maybe I should just stop having a mid-life crisis and think of something sensible for a change ;)

I have just sold my Honda 250RSA. Owned it for just under twenty years.

Regardless of all the other bikes I owned (I had nine at once some time ago - ages ranging from 1928 to brand new) its the bike I least wanted to sell.

Funny how bikes get under your skin. I never look back when i sell a car.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
I use an Innova -been a biker for 50 yrs ranging from British (inc Goldie) BMW"s/Japs .Agree about the "chocolate cam Hondas but the Innova has roller bearings each side and is a doddle to work on.I now run a Deauville but find the Innova just as much fun -especially when away in the van and beauty is you can drive it up the ramp standing at side as its an auto.Cant tell its on back of van.

It's a semi-automatic, not an automatic.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Here's my little baby, 125cc 2 stroke Gilera, just got it going again. It decided before xmas not to start so being a lazy sod I thought "sod it":D Fitted a new plug this morning and went for a ride, so just got to fit the carrier on the back of the RV and we are sorted.

IMG_20180313_131025.jpg

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I have just sold my Honda 250RSA. Owned it for just under twenty years.

Regardless of all the other bikes I owned (I had nine at once some time ago - ages ranging from 1928 to brand new) its the bike I least wanted to sell.

Funny how bikes get under your skin. I never look back when i sell a car.

I couldn't agree more. I regret selling my little 250RSA - I only bought it as a cheap stop-gap as well. What makes it worse was the bloke I sold it to turned out to be a right pain in the arris, he paid me very little really for what was an old bike, I even let him ride round on it for a week before making his mind up to buy it - then for a year afterwards if anything was wrong, even as minor as a blown bulb, he would moan at me about "that bike you sold me"! That only finished when I left university and moved away.

I can never sell my VFR. Firstly I've had the bike longer than I've been with Mrs F, just - so I have to remind her of a longer relationship - and secondly, it's the memories and where I've been and what I've done on the bike, even though since the arrival of kids it doesn't get used as much and has long long since ceased to be my sole means of transport.

Cars - maybe it will different if I have a classic car at some point. No attachment so far though.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Just fitted the saddle bags this afternoon...

20180313_143625.jpg

I know some people think they spoil the bike but for me, it's got to be practical or I won't use it. They were only about 15 quid on ebay, really good thick pretend leather. They're on Shad mounting brackets (£70) not keen on the Shad bags, they're too big.
If the weather is OK at the weekend it's coming out to play :cool:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We wouldn't be without our scooter - BUT...
I have never found a satisfactory way to bring back a couple of baguettes from the boulanger. I have even tried sticking them down my jumper, and we once bought a baguette bag which looked something like a quiver, but that didn't last long.
Any ideas?
One up each trouser leg

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've the symjet125 I picked it up in September for £600 2015 with 6000 miles on clock. Has kick and electric start weighs 105kg lots of fits helmet under the seat ...does way over 100mpg and ice had 60 out of it with a rather plump passenger :D

Can't go wrong really .....although I've been using the pushbike more

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back