Scooter freedom (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just before Xmas we purchased our 125cc scooter and came straight to Spain.Its been a great help with exploring the area's a bit too far for our bikes,takes a surprising amount of shopping and very little fuel.With two it manages 60mph,just and no problem parking it anywhere .While the cars were paying today in Orihuela we parked in the Moto spaces for free.
Just mentioning this as a option to car towing or hiring.We use A frame in UK but might not bother with it anymore.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Hi ,what make of Scooter please ? been thinking of doing the same ! have sold the trailer and our Panda !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We have used a scooter for a few years now - very handy and great for the warmer climates (y)

A Vespa 300cc GTS and now a Honda SH125.

Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
I have a Suzuki Address 113cc ..... love it and it only weighs 97kgs with full fuel tank. Storage under the seat big enough for a fullface helmet.

Address110_Grey_Front34_Facing_Left.png

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
We wouldn't be without our scooter - BUT...
I have never found a satisfactory way to bring back a couple of baguettes from the boulanger. I have even tried sticking them down my jumper, and we once bought a baguette bag which looked something like a quiver, but that didn't last long.
Any ideas?

Reactions: OG1
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I have never found a satisfactory way to bring back a couple of baguettes from the boulanger. I have even tried sticking them down my jumper, and we once bought a baguette bag which looked something like a quiver, but that didn't last long.
Any ideas?
We've got a bag on the back that's for a push bike, it's a lot smaller than the plastic boxes but expands out when needed. The top has got elastic criss crossing bungies and baguettes/newspapers slot in nicely. The bag sits on a bracket that was originally for a big plastic box that came with the bike, first job was to remove and bin it.

It's discontinued now but this is similar.
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-bags-baskets/ridge-rack-pack

Last edited:

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We have used a scooter for a few years now - very handy and great for the warmer climates (y)

A Vespa 300cc GTS and now a Honda SH125.

Exactly the same 2 as I have.

Apr 23, 2014
Naarfook
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano
Exp
5 years
Been thinking of having a scooter for when we are out and about, but have a dog so it makes the possibility a little more difficult!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Suzuki Address here as well. Top box on the back to stop the mrs falling off when i accelerate :D
Use it all the time when away.
Flew back from Bordeaux last year and just left it at the airport when i had to come back for 4 days work
Just break the baguette into 2. Youre bound to do it as soon as you get back !

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Any bikers braved their natural aversion to scooters and taken the plunge?

I can see myself having a dilemma in years to come - tow something heavier on a trailer that I *want* to have & ride but have all the hassle of a trailer, or put something small & light in the garage that I don't really want to have but in reality will do the job perfectly well.

I suppose it depends on what the "job" is - if it's nipping about locally to the shops and so on then something small is fine, if it's off out exploring further afield and riding for the (considerable) pleasure of riding then something a little larger is definitely required.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Any ideas?

Try a poster tube they very strong and cheap from a post office:)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09

I can see myself having a dilemma in years to come - tow something heavier on a trailer that I *want* to have & ride but have all the hassle of a trailer, or put something small & light in the garage that I don't really want to have but in reality will do the job perfectly well.

I suppose it depends on what the "job" is - if it's nipping about locally to the shops and so on then something small is fine, if it's off out exploring further afield and riding for the (considerable) pleasure of riding then something a little larger is definitely required.
Had a number of bikes of the over years, K100 GPZ500 and a number of 600 Diversions but wouldnt categorize myself as a "biker" but they were used more for as a second vehicle which happened to have free parking.
I get the urge to get a "non scooter" but it makes no sense whatsoever. My little 110 cc scooter has been pulled over by the gendarmes for going too fast on a dual carriageway in France 2 up (They thought it was a 50cc) but without having had a really good look, trying to find something that does both jobs (a bike that is no bigger than 120cm) seems an impossible task.
I go up mountains, travel up to an hour, occasionally commute to work on the A3 for 15 miles, mostly 2 up, and yes, i would like to get there quicker, yes I want a bigger bike for the occasional commute to work, but I bought the bike for France and cant see any benefit in getting one that doesnt do the job that i wanted it to.
Obviously, finance does come into it as if money were no object then i would have 2 or 3 of them !

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014

Depends what type of person you are. I've had fast bikes in the past and bought a scooter when we got the van. Scooters are very practical for carrying shopping and all round good fun at first, but the lack of power soon becomes annoying.

If you can resign yourself to never overtaking anything ever again, and being humiliated at every traffic lights, then go for it. I think if you have to ask the question, you know the answer.

I bought a lightweight 390cc bike in December, hopefully Ann will get on it in time, and I can get rid of the scooter. at the minute she's a bit scared of it, probably because it looks fast.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years

Been a biker all my adult life, but still find our little 125cc Honda Innova a lark to ride. 4 proper gears, only 100kgs, bulletproof reliability, piece of cake to fit onto rear rack cruises at 85kmph two up, park it anywhere. Maintenance is an absolute doddle.
Done getting on for 40,000 kms on it all over Europe in the past 5 years.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
I can thoroughly recommend my Honda PCX 125cc - 130kg good looking scooter with fairly big wheels too! :)

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015

If you accept a scooter for what it is it's not a problem. If you expect it to be any sort of bike you will be very disappointed. I love my bikes and bike holidays but our Vespa 300 fits the bill for Motorhome tours. It beats cars away from the lights two up and will cruise at 80 two up if you want but a more sedate "keep up with the traffic style" is more relaxed.

I don't wear so much protective gear on the scooter and in the south of France I've been known to ride the Vespa in shorts and tee-shirt (my choice and yes I know the risks) where as my bikes don't come out the garage unless I'm covered head to toe in full protective gear. Then I do ride my bikes in a completely different style to the scooter.

In essence scooters are good but for me they are not a bike replacement.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Thanks @Tibbo , Suzuki address or Honda vision, I need to look at both.

Mickey
I've got a Vision 110. The suzuki is better because it has a kick start. If there's any problems with the battery or starter the Honda can't be started, it's auto of course so it can't be bump started.
Also the suzuki is cheaper, lighter and slightly less underpowered.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I use a Burgman 400 which affords travel in excess of speed limits
on motorways if desired , is very comfortable even two up for long distances if needed (200+ miles). MPG is very good and so is weather protection . 2 full face helmets under-seat , and with top box and panniers enables extensive shopping when forced to ! handling is not far off "bike" limits :) when you get the hang of the different approach to riding it .
F9rdmX.jpg

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Any ideas?

image.jpg

We use the above bag (albeit on a pushbike, not a scooter). The bottom of the baguette goes in the net bottle holder and then the top half of the baguette is secured close to the bag by the straps near the top. So we can transport 2 baguettes like this and then fill the interior with the obligatory croissants / pain au chocolat and afternoon slice of cake :rolleyes:.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I think if you have to ask the question, you know the answer.

I bought a lightweight 390cc bike in December

Hmm - I think you're right, thanks to you & other respondents for your comments.

Years ago as a student I bought a little Honda CB250RSA as a stop-gap between bigger bikes - riding it around Birmingham was a hoot, a little single-cylinder 4 stroke bike that was as skinny as could be, weighed nothing and I could thrash the pants off it riding full throttle everywhere. I'd rather have the modern equivalent of that to go in the garage than a scooter I think, despite a scooter undoubtedly being more practical. An automatic scooter just doesn't sound as much fun.

I've got a 250cc 2-stroke off-road bike that is great fun, maybe a small supermoto would be the way to go, might be a bit tall for a garage though. Or maybe I should just stop having a mid-life crisis and think of something sensible for a change ;)

Feb 24, 2018
Funster No
We have a scooter great for getting into large towns especially if you are in an aire that's in a small village could not manage without it :)

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just back from golf,two up with clubs over my neck ,between my legs.Had 100kmh on the AP 7 one hour ago.Great little get around.My Ducati not nearly as practical.A good bike for motorhome duties.
IMG_20180307_151024.jpg

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Hmm - I think you're right, thanks to you & other respondents for your comments.

Years ago as a student I bought a little Honda CB250RSA as a stop-gap between bigger bikes - riding it around Birmingham was a hoot, a little single-cylinder 4 stroke bike that was as skinny as could be, weighed nothing and I could thrash the pants off it riding full throttle everywhere. I'd rather have the modern equivalent of that to go in the garage than a scooter I think, despite a scooter undoubtedly being more practical. An automatic scooter just doesn't sound as much fun.

I've got a 250cc 2-stroke off-road bike that is great fun, maybe a small supermoto would be the way to go, might be a bit tall for a garage though. Or maybe I should just stop having a mid-life crisis and think of something sensible for a change ;)

You can pick these up for just over 3 grand pre registered. 149kg dry, 44bhp.
2017 main.jpg

She'll do the ton and blow anything away up to 60mph (except another cycle of course) :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back