Scooter freedom

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mojo, Mar 6, 2018.

1. mojo

mojo Funster

Ratings:
    +1,550
    Just before Xmas we purchased our 125cc scooter and came straight to Spain.Its been a great help with exploring the area's a bit too far for our bikes,takes a surprising amount of shopping and very little fuel.With two it manages 60mph,just and no problem parking it anywhere .While the cars were paying today in Orihuela we parked in the Moto spaces for free.
    Just mentioning this as a option to car towing or hiring.We use A frame in UK but might not bother with it anymore.

• Like it Like it x 8
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 6
  2. The Nomad

The Nomad

Ratings:
    +1,964
    Good to hear, but it must have taken a while to ride it straight to Spain though!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  3. tjay

tjay Funster

Ratings:
    +487
    Hi ,what make of Scooter please ? been thinking of doing the same ! have sold the trailer and our Panda !!

• Like it Like it x 1
  4. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Ratings:
    +3,006
    We have used a scooter for a few years now - very handy and great for the warmer climates (y)

A Vespa 300cc GTS and now a Honda SH125.

• Like it Like it x 2
  5. Tibbo

Tibbo Funster

Ratings:
    +1,245
    I have a Suzuki Address 113cc ..... love it and it only weighs 97kgs with full fuel tank. Storage under the seat big enough for a fullface helmet.

Address110_Grey_Front34_Facing_Left.png

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. WSandME

WSandME

Ratings:
    +832
    We wouldn't be without our scooter - BUT...
    I have never found a satisfactory way to bring back a couple of baguettes from the boulanger. I have even tried sticking them down my jumper, and we once bought a baguette bag which looked something like a quiver, but that didn't last long.
    Any ideas?

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Richard and Ann

Richard and Ann Funster

Ratings:
    +3,293
    We've got a bag on the back that's for a push bike, it's a lot smaller than the plastic boxes but expands out when needed. The top has got elastic criss crossing bungies and baguettes/newspapers slot in nicely. The bag sits on a bracket that was originally for a big plastic box that came with the bike, first job was to remove and bin it.

It's discontinued now but this is similar.
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-bags-baskets/ridge-rack-pack

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  8. mojo

mojo Funster

Ratings:
    +1,550
    We have a Honda Vision 125cc at 116 kg

9. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

Ratings:
    +2,385
    Exactly the same 2 as I have.

• Like it Like it x 1
  10. Jackspeak

Jackspeak Funster

Ratings:
    +9,880
    Been thinking of having a scooter for when we are out and about, but have a dog so it makes the possibility a little more difficult!

11. suavecarve

suavecarve Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +3,899
    Suzuki Address here as well. Top box on the back to stop the mrs falling off when i accelerate :D
    Use it all the time when away.
    Flew back from Bordeaux last year and just left it at the airport when i had to come back for 4 days work
    Just break the baguette into 2. Youre bound to do it as soon as you get back !

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 2
  12. Feltwell

Feltwell Funster

Ratings:
    +1,412
    Any bikers braved their natural aversion to scooters and taken the plunge?

I can see myself having a dilemma in years to come - tow something heavier on a trailer that I *want* to have & ride but have all the hassle of a trailer, or put something small & light in the garage that I don't really want to have but in reality will do the job perfectly well.

I suppose it depends on what the "job" is - if it's nipping about locally to the shops and so on then something small is fine, if it's off out exploring further afield and riding for the (considerable) pleasure of riding then something a little larger is definitely required.

13. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +15,844
    Try a poster tube they very strong and cheap from a post office:)

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. suavecarve

suavecarve Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +3,899
    Had a number of bikes of the over years, K100 GPZ500 and a number of 600 Diversions but wouldnt categorize myself as a "biker" but they were used more for as a second vehicle which happened to have free parking.
    I get the urge to get a "non scooter" but it makes no sense whatsoever. My little 110 cc scooter has been pulled over by the gendarmes for going too fast on a dual carriageway in France 2 up (They thought it was a 50cc) but without having had a really good look, trying to find something that does both jobs (a bike that is no bigger than 120cm) seems an impossible task.
    I go up mountains, travel up to an hour, occasionally commute to work on the A3 for 15 miles, mostly 2 up, and yes, i would like to get there quicker, yes I want a bigger bike for the occasional commute to work, but I bought the bike for France and cant see any benefit in getting one that doesnt do the job that i wanted it to.
    Obviously, finance does come into it as if money were no object then i would have 2 or 3 of them !

• Like it Like it x 2
  15. Richard and Ann

Richard and Ann Funster

Ratings:
    +3,293
    Depends what type of person you are. I've had fast bikes in the past and bought a scooter when we got the van. Scooters are very practical for carrying shopping and all round good fun at first, but the lack of power soon becomes annoying.

If you can resign yourself to never overtaking anything ever again, and being humiliated at every traffic lights, then go for it. I think if you have to ask the question, you know the answer.

I bought a lightweight 390cc bike in December, hopefully Ann will get on it in time, and I can get rid of the scooter. at the minute she's a bit scared of it, probably because it looks fast.

• Like it Like it x 1
  16. The Nomad

The Nomad

Ratings:
    +1,964

Been a biker all my adult life, but still find our little 125cc Honda Innova a lark to ride. 4 proper gears, only 100kgs, bulletproof reliability, piece of cake to fit onto rear rack cruises at 85kmph two up, park it anywhere. Maintenance is an absolute doddle.
    Done getting on for 40,000 kms on it all over Europe in the past 5 years.

• Nice One! Nice One! x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Ratings:
    +1,041
    I can thoroughly recommend my Honda PCX 125cc - 130kg good looking scooter with fairly big wheels too! :)

18. Mickey1

Mickey1 Funster

Ratings:
    +1,320
    View attachment 217583 [/QUOTE]
    maybe looking to get on of these, is it comfortable for the passenger?.

Mickey

19. Tibbo

Tibbo Funster

Ratings:
    +1,245
    maybe looking to get on of these, is it comfortable for the passenger?.

Mickey[/QUOTE]

I've only had a passenger on the back for about 5 miles, just to try the scooter out 2 up. She said the seat was quite comfortable, but the old guy up front should be banned from the roads :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Mickey1

Mickey1 Funster

Ratings:
    +1,320
    Thanks @Tibbo , Suzuki address or Honda vision, I need to look at both.

Mickey