LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
My old favourite almost 20 year old Tilley hat has been worn all over the world, sprayed continuously with salt water when dinghy racing, chucked in the corner, ignored, washed and generally abused.

So not really a surprise to see that it was starting to fray around one of the air vents at the side. Had a look in Go Outdoors for a replacement but then remembered that they have a lifetime guarante, so emailed them and got a prompt response, requesting pictures of the (very minor) damage, the label and the size. This was done and they then requested £6 for post and packing and another picture of the label inside the hat with a big R in permanent marker.

20 year old hat replaced for £6 with a new one, I get to keep the perfectly wearable but much loved old one. If call that a result!!

Great customer service Tilley (y)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I will remember that as I have three of them in various places and my wife has as well.

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
Yes i have got one think its about 5 years old now(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Cracking hats - got 3 of them and always wear tilley trousers - had one pair for 25 years and still cannot wear them out to claim on the lifetime warranty !!!!

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
s-l400.jpg

Tilley a friend for life

:party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Yes - and I embrace my age (y)

S'ppose you wear a baseball cap backwards to show you're "down wid the kidz, innit"

hat_fail-jpg.36195

:D2

I do sometimes.

To embarrass my daughter(y)

Especially playing pool volleyball so she can see my " game face".

It really winds her up:)

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Had mine over 30 years and met the man himself. Alex, I think. He was just starting up and was sellingg them out of a wheel barrow at the Annapolis boat show. He also sold shorts that could hold a 6 pack of beer. I believe that he wanted to retire recently and offered his daughter the company and she turned it down. Trouble is my original one doesn't fit as my head is now bigger,....

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Had one since 2000 and our first trip to SA. I like it but find my ladies folding Panama hat cooler and lighter to wear.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have a couple of their hats, great that they can be just stuffed in a drawer I believe that if you lose your hat or have it nicked they'll replace it for a nominal sum like half of the retail price.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have a couple of their hats, great that they can be just stuffed in a drawer I believe that if you lose your hat or have it nicked they'll replace it for a nominal sum like half of the retail price.
Whith the price of Tilly hats ½ the retail price is not a nominal sum.:ROFLMAO:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Whith the price of Tilly hats ½ the retail price is not a nominal sum.:ROFLMAO:
Didn't want to come up with my penny pinching posts, but seriously what made you all fork out sixty odd quid on a very ordinary looking hat in the first place, must confess I never wear a hat at all except for maybe a woolly one in the worst of winter days.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My old favourite almost 20 year old Tilley hat has been worn all over the world, sprayed continuously with salt water when dinghy racing, chucked in the corner, ignored, washed and generally abused.

So not really a surprise to see that it was starting to fray around one of the air vents at the side. Had a look in Go Outdoors for a replacement but then remembered that they have a lifetime guarante, so emailed them and got a prompt response, requesting pictures of the (very minor) damage, the label and the size. This was done and they then requested £6 for post and packing and another picture of the label inside the hat with a big R in permanent marker.

20 year old hat replaced for £6 with a new one, I get to keep the perfectly wearable but much loved old one. If call that a result!!

Great customer service Tilley (y)
Thanks for that. Mines looking a bit disreputable too, I may see if they will do the same for me.

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
Bought mine in Canada 14 years ago and have worn it every time I go fishing since (which is at least twice a week), it takes major punishment between the weather, being hooked by my boat partner and scrunched up in my bag in between regardless of whether it's wet or dry.
It still looks great! Worth every penny of the $32 CAD that I paid for it.
I'll probably wear out before it does!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
3720286509_f0257c276f_o.jpg
This is one of mine in at Glastonbury in 2005, I think it was about 5 years old by then, still going strong now.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003

I had my Tilley hat replaced after 10 years, very similar experience. Glad I kept a copy of the original recept.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Didn't want to come up with my penny pinching posts, but seriously what made you all fork out sixty odd quid on a very ordinary looking hat in the first place, must confess I never wear a hat at all except for maybe a woolly one in the worst of winter days.

It might look ordinary, but its far from it. It is severely well made, from a seriously good quality heavyweight cotton, It's perfect for motorhomers, travellers and boaters, you can leave it scrunched up in a draw for months but the shape bounces back, throw it in the washing machine and its the same. It's water and mildew proof, designed to last a lifetime or you get another, they'll even replace it at half price if you lose it or have it stolen. I know you like your penny pinching and that's OK, but sometimes the quality of things make them worth buying. But I know you know that; why else would you pay £15 a year for a motorhome forum :D

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It might look ordinary, but its far from it. It is severely well made, from a seriously good quality heavyweight cotton, It's perfect for motorhomers, travellers and boaters, you can leave it scrunched up in a draw for months but the shape bounces back, throw it in the washing machine and its the same. It's water and mildew proof, designed to last a lifetime or you get another, they'll even replace at half price it if you lose it or have it stolen. I know you like your penny pinching and that's OK, but sometimes the quality of things make them worth buying. But I know you know that; why else would you pay £15 a year for a motorhome forum :D
Not knocking anyone's purchase you buy what you want , but what I meant was if you just looked at a hat and saw it was £60 what made you buy it, as I say I never wear one at all so the question doesn't arise for me, but did you know they are good, know someone who had one or what , because it just seems a hell of a lot of money for any hat.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Not knocking anyone's purchase you buy what you want , but what I meant was if you just looked at a hat and saw it was £60 what made you buy it, as I say I never wear one at all so the question doesn't arise for me, but did you know they are good, know someone who had one or what , because it just seems a hell of a lot of money for any hat.
My youngest tends to ware baseball caps which are just as expensive as the Tilley's. I'm sure like most expensive overpriced goods they are purchased with some vanity in mind. He likes to be hip cool and trendy with his pony tail sticking out the back. Look at me I have arrived..:D Bit like Tilley wearers maybe...;)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Paid about £35 for mine many years ago.

Why do I wear it?

When walking the dog in the rain it keeps the rain off my head and my glasses. In hot weather it keeps the sun off my balding bounce. In the middle of winter it keeps my head warm.

I have run over it on a muddy field. Once washed it was as good as new.
Excellent product!

Inside the crown is a pocket to hold money, documents etc. Mine came complete with a few small notes to hand to people at the bar. It said, more or less, " the person next to you is wearing a Tilley hat which makes them a fine person. Buy them a drink".:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back