Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think I paid less than £35 for my first one. I bought one from a show a few years ago I think it was £40. Looks like the average retail price now is around £70!

Yes I always used to have an "Emergency £20" in my Tilley's document pocket. This came in handy many, many times. Until my kids discovered it and used it for their emergencies. ::bigsmile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My youngest tends to ware baseball caps which are just as expensive as the Tilley's. I'm sure like most expensive overpriced goods they are purchased with some vanity in mind. He likes to be hip cool and trendy with his pony tail sticking out the back. Look at me I have arrived..:D Bit like Tilley wearers maybe...;)
Wouldn't work with me though cause I wouldn't have had a clue they weren't a quid from a charity shop

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
s-l400.jpg

Tilley a friend for life

:party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2:
That hat is watching someone

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Not knocking anyone's purchase you buy what you want , but what I meant was if you just looked at a hat and saw it was £60 what made you buy it, as I say I never wear one at all so the question doesn't arise for me, but did you know they are good, know someone who had one or what , because it just seems a hell of a lot of money for any hat.

Lot of money for a hat! have you seen the price of decent rollable panama, its use north of £200

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
My inside pocket has a note in it saying " the owner has been irresponsible and has missed placed me. If you feel like doing a good deed, please call *** and use the £10:00 to post me on. If not, then keep the tenner as it serves him right for loosing me ". (y) As I'm a tight wad. Never lost him in 17 years and it has been around the world twice with me.

OP
OP
DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Didn't want to come up with my penny pinching posts, but seriously what made you all fork out sixty odd quid on a very ordinary looking hat in the first place, must confess I never wear a hat at all except for maybe a woolly one in the worst of winter days.
Well, several reasons really...
  1. I like them and they fit well
  2. The only hat I've ever worn dinghy racing that has stayed on every during some spectacular capsizes
  3. They really are almost indestructible
  4. They do not shrink in the wash
  5. And if something does go wrong, they will be replaced for a nominal sum
Horses for courses. Buy cheap, buy often

OP
OP
DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Lot of money for a hat! have you seen the price of decent rollable panama, its use north of £200
Yep - I bought some for clients when we were doing an audit in Panama City - even a relatively cheap genuine one (made in Ecuador) cost about $70 each. I gave mine to daughter in law and she wears it superbly.

OP
OP
DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It might look ordinary, but its far from it. It is severely well made, from a seriously good quality heavyweight cotton, It's perfect for motorhomers, travellers and boaters, you can leave it scrunched up in a draw for months but the shape bounces back, throw it in the washing machine and its the same. It's water and mildew proof, designed to last a lifetime or you get another, they'll even replace it at half price if you lose it or have it stolen. I know you like your penny pinching and that's OK, but sometimes the quality of things make them worth buying. But I know you know that; why else would you pay £15 a year for a motorhome forum :D
Spot on there, Jim

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I've got a Tilley,fantastic hat! Never blows off (my head),comfortable,warm in winter,not too hot in summer,protects my polished head from the elements,indestructible.
But the best thing about it is that my kids(well,if you can call early thirties kids) wouldn't be seen dead wearing one.
Oh,and the other great thing is that they don't follow that vulgar and ridiculous fashion of having somebody else's name on them, like Fred Perry ,Helly Hanson etc.

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
My mate Tomi (@signworks) has one, and though I rarely wear a hat, I was a bit envious and thought I would get one, that is 'til I saw the price of them!! Just have to stick to my old army issue wooly balaclava.:mask::mask::mask::mask:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Didn't want to come up with my penny pinching posts, but seriously what made you all fork out sixty odd quid on a very ordinary looking hat in the first place, must confess I never wear a hat at all except for maybe a woolly one in the worst of winter days.
There speaks a man who has never worn, never mind owned a Tilley hat. Once you have one, no other hat comes close.

I was about to buy another, for winter time & found one I really liked. Sold out of my size in my local shop & on-line & now that style is discontinued. Gutted :(.

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Just a thought Dave, @DuxDeluxe, maybe you need someone to break-in the new one for you? Or maybe you need someone (me) to carry on the traditional wearing of the original !!:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

OP
OP
DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Just a thought Dave, @DuxDeluxe, maybe you need someone to break-in the new one for you? Or maybe you need someone (me) to carry on the traditional wearing of the original !!:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:
Gerri...... that is a possibility; there is no doubt that you look much better in a hat than I ever would. And in bloomers.....phwoar...:D

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Quiz question: why is the expression "mad as a hatter" used?

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I hate wearing hats and rarely feel comfortable in one. But I know that if I go out in the sun without a hat, I will suffer the consequences. My Tilley hat is great for that, I could wear it all day. Had it for 18 years, I abuse it just as I do with pretty much everything else I own, and it's still as good as the day I bought it.

OP
OP
DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I hate wearing hats and rarely feel comfortable in one. But I know that if I go out in the sun without a hat, I will suffer the consequences. My Tilley hat is great for that, I could wear it all day. Had it for 18 years, I abuse it just as I do with pretty much everything else I own, and it's still as good as the day I bought it.
Can't knock the quality and comfort. Well worth the fairly steep price as I just found out.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Still got plenty of hair on me head (at 77) Who needs a bloody hat?

Me Swanni got a hood if it's raining.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
@chaser
Price might be steep now, but it wasn't decades ago when most of us bought our Tilley !
Struggling to think of anything else I bought 20 years ago is still around let alone looking as good as new and still fits.
In my mind, that is superb value.
Perhaps, some of my English made shoes...?
Frightening that some of my "good stuff" will now outlast me :(.

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Gerri...... that is a possibility; there is no doubt that you look much better in a hat than I ever would. And in bloomers.....phwoar...:D
@DuxDeluxe As much as I love the idea of me in bloomers ( an i LOVE wearing bloomers !!!! ) you do realise that it was I ( Ron ) that was posting. Hey, maybe I could wear the hat and bloomers !;);););)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back