Your opinions on dealers,what do you think? (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I had a business building narrowboats, and my small team observed the O A P rule
if you make a mistake Own up
Apologise
Put it right
solved most issues before they occured

It would be nice if customers did the same thing.

Never happens though. Even when the customer is demonstrably an idiot who shouldn't be allowed outdoors unsupervised it's still almost always the traders fault for not being able to work miracles or not being willing to work for free.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Let's have a vote on that shall we?

Go for it (y)

I'll predict the results now:

Everyone will claim to be perfect model customers who freely admit mistakes, are polite, who listen, who always follow ordering guidelines, who never have unrealistic expectations or demands and who always pay on time without complaint.

All the traders and people who are misfortunate enough to have to deal with the public will look on in amazement and wonder where all these wonderful people are hiding and why never frequent any of our businesses (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Everyone will claim to be perfect model customers who freely admit mistakes, are polite, who listen, who always follow ordering guidelines, who never have unrealistic expectations or demands and who always pay on time without complaint

Most of us are customers most of the time. Can we assume that, you therefore are 'the perfect model customer?'

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Most of us are customers most of the time. Can we assume that, you therefore are 'the perfect model customer?'

Nope far from it.

I’m as bad as everyone else at lot of the time. The difference is that I’m honest about it (y)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I wonder how many customers feel badly done by but are not the type to do anything about it , but just accept they have been hard done by and put it down to life today.

bengie

Free Member
Feb 14, 2012
bournemouth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Customers Yes I remember them. They are the people I made a bloody good living from They bought my house, feed and clothed my kids, paid my bills. I will always be grateful to them. If they are not happy with something put it right or give them there money back they will be more likely to come back and recommend you. Small price to pay for keeping your customers. If you feel It is to much and to many are complaining then may be it is time to look at yourself and ask why.The old saying the customer is always right stands true through the generations they can always find another trader to go to. finding another customer is not so easy.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Go for it (y)

I'll predict the results now:

Everyone will claim to be perfect model customers who freely admit mistakes, are polite, who listen, who always follow ordering guidelines, who never have unrealistic expectations or demands and who always pay on time without complaint.

All the traders and people who are misfortunate enough to have to deal with the public will look on in amazement and wonder where all these wonderful people are hiding and why never frequent any of our businesses (y)

I agree with u.

I had a public facing job for a year - swore i would never deal with the general public again. Most would lie and cheat.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I agree with u.

I had a public facing job for a year - swore i would never deal with the general public again. Most would lie and cheat.

I refuse to deal with customers face to face or even over the phone unless I know them really well. I can't be doing with it.

I only work by email with most people so that their lies are documented.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I think it's laughable that someone who deals with customers is happy to call them idiots. For me posting a complaint or praise on a forum is no different from posting about a holiday or restaurant experience on trip advisor!

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
It is quite noticeable and telling that a few business owners in this thread have used the words.... idiots , wa***rs , liars, cheats , to describe their customers . One even suggesting that motorhome buyers were punching above their pay grade in purchasing a van.

To be so utterly dismissive and downright offensive when referencing their client base is surely unacceptable and completely unnecessary ? If these business persons have reached such a conclusion based on their past and ongoing experience it surely suggests that maybe , just maybe , they are the negative guilty party , not the customers.

It is only fair to also mention, thankfully , there has also been input from other business owners who were and are much more reasonable and personable in their business methods .

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
It is quite noticeable and telling that a few business owners in this thread have used the words.... idiots , wa***rs , liars, cheats , to describe their customers . One even suggesting that motorhome buyers were punching above their pay grade in purchasing a van.

To be so utterly dismissive and downright offensive when referencing their client base is surely unacceptable and completely unnecessary ? If these business persons have reached such a conclusion based on their past and ongoing experience it surely suggests that maybe , just maybe , they are the negative guilty party , not the customers.

It is only fair to also mention, thankfully , there has also been input from other business owners who were and are much more reasonable and personable in their business methods .
Spot on. (y)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
So what does - 'good customer service' - actually mean?

There has been much research on the subject, and the answer is straightforward - ultimately it boils down to one thing:

'easy to do business with'

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You come across as a really sad person who hates the rest of the human race

Not all of them, only the ones who think they're clever enough to try and get one over on me (y)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I've been in business for most of my adult life and keep saying 95% of problems come from 5% of jobs (not customers) and get sorted.......... but amongst that 5% is a total Barclays Banker who thinks he/she is the most important thing in the World.... who will never be 'satisfied' ..

.. my comment to my staff is always the same............. we have to deal with an idiot like this once a year - some poor sod has to live with him/her 24/7.............be happy

Last edited:
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I suspect he’s showing symptoms od dealing with the public for too long
But we're all 'the public,' and to go back to @mikebeaches ' definition of 'easy to do business with,' I would suspect that those people who are 'easy to do business with' as sellers are the very same people who are 'easy to do business with' as purchasers. It comes down to such traits as respect, honesty, fairness, good communication skills and empathy. They're of equal importance whichever side of the fence you're sitting on at any given time. Some people know how to treat others and some people don't. If a person's occupation entails dealing with people, I would have thought that it they are to be successful, good people skills are a must.
If a trader disrespects their customers, they've only got themselves to blame if they gain a poor reputation.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
just read back though the last few pages and found myself liking posts with clearly opposing views o_O

some people really can never be pleased, most put up with what is really poor service, it really is time the worm turned, however a thread like this or a review is never going to please all

one sadness is that because one person likes a dealer, they don't like opposing views, equally the person that had appalling service from same dealer cant say so for fear of attack

I do also run my own business and am lucky enough to be able to tell some customers to do one, we just don't need the aggravation, a couple have come back and tried again, we offer a pro forma option to them that most then refuse, we refer them back to 'go do one', in business we need to be paid to be worth the effort, one problem I clearly recognise with motorhome sales is give us your money, then we might sort the problem, no idea how they get away with it, we wait 30 days minimum to be paid for 'good' service

We might be the mugs though o_O

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
am lucky enough to be able to tell some customers to do one, we just don't need the aggravation, a couple have come back and tried again, we offer a pro forma option to them that most then refuse, we refer them back to 'go do one', in business we need to be paid to be worth the effort,

Exactly this (y)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I often wish we could get 'reviews' of customers.......from tradesmen or other retailers they have dealt with.....

It's very difficult to spot the customer that expects far more than they should.......... a Rolls Royce at Kia prices...............delivered tomorrow......with a 6 year warranty (Sale of Goods Act).....and they do exist

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's very difficult to spot the customer that expects far more than they should

I’m quite good at it. (y)

The “I think it would be better if you took your business elsewhere” email is a standard template now. (y):D2

Some of the reactions to that email have been hilarious.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I’m quite good at it. (y)

The “I think it would be better if you took your business elsewhere” email is a standard template now. (y):D2

Some of the reactions to that email have been hilarious.
The could make a good thread in itself, with names removed to protect the "innocent"

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back