Your opinions on dealers,what do you think? (1 Viewer)

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
This thread is just to ask your opinion on some of the dealer threads that are posted on here.As the owner of a very busy retail business involved totally in the motor industry I find some of the threads very damning they could literally bring a company ,which has taken many years of toil and sweat to build up ,to its knees overnight which I personally think is very wrong.Yes I agree that sometimes a company does something wrong (my company included) but to me putting the complaint on a public forum which has close to 30000 members is not the way to sort the problems out .To me the only way to sort out the problem is direct with the dealer .when it it put onto a public forum the matter can get out of control ,with people adding their bit without really knowing anything about the dealer/garage/depot or about the problem.We are all human and in business things do go wrong .What I would expect of the customer is that they contacted the depot with the problem and it would be sorted out from that point.I would be very annoyed if the problem was put on social media.I know I will probably get a slating for posting this,but it is something that I have got to feel very strongly about.Social media could absolutely wreck a very well thought of and successful business overnight.All I can say is think what you are saying before you post it cos once on it’s to late.
Brian & Jo

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Sometimes people post without putting their brains in gear and not thinking of the implications of what they have posted could do to a company. Other people that don't know the full story get on the band wagon and then it can get like Chinese whispers ....Social media also has a lot to answer for in this day and age ....personally I wouldn't get involved in the slating of any company.

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Sometimes people post without putting their brains in gear and not thinking of the implications of what they have posted could do to a company. Social media also has a lot to answer for in this day and age.

Sometimes people post WITH their brains in gear but their brains don't work very well...

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Keeping quiet when a dealer performs poorly is bad for future customers.
Negative reviews are a great way to get dealers to up their game and improve customer service.
Businesses should listen to their customers and welcome feedback, be it positive or negative

I’m all for it

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Same in the building trade, customers !! should be programmes called Dodgy Customers !

There is the Rogue Landlord & Tennent program which flips the coin both ways on the program.

I had a problem with a car dealer I bought a Porsche from a couple of years ago. Small but successful firm selling high end only stuff and they were really dragging there heals on a warranty issue. Something that was delivered broken and in there attempt to fix it they butchered the car further in a cheapo quick fix. Not what I would expect for someone selling Lambos and the like.

So in my last email to them I gave them until 3pm Friday (a few days) before I file the CCJ paperwork that is already pre populated to hit submit online and also post an account of my experience on every car forum I am a member of which is a hell of a lot having a passion for toys.

The threat was enough and by lunchtime Friday the money was in my bank and we went our separate ways.

Social media can be a very powerful tool if used correctly. I fear if I had done the posting first I probably would not have got the result as easy.

Last edited:

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
If you repeatedly see hard evidence of poor workmanship/business acumen that is without refute that ought to enlighten the business in question. If not, they don't deserve custom. How much poor service is not let out into the public domain because of "gagging orders"?. I'm not talking of just the motor home industry by the way. If you've done wrong, apologise and sort it out.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Same in the building trade, customers !! should be programmes called Dodgy Customers !

Couldn't agree more.

But sometimes people are at their wits end and ignored, if a client has taken all reasonable steps to get something resolved and it hasn't happened what else is there?
Apart from maybe expensive court cases.

It is no different to suppliers or dealers. All need to be "on the case" all the time.
If you receive a valid complaint deal with it as soon as possible and reasonable people are happy.
Some you will never please but most can see who they are even on social media etc.

Its the world we live in now and I cant see it changing.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I recently bought a car from a brand main dealer and I was lied to from day one by both salesmen and manager. I was also lied to by the manager of another branch of the same dealership. Blatantly stupid lies which gave me no confidence in any other aspect of their work. Would I recommend them to anyone? Not a chance.

I'm looking at the motorhomes they have for sale at a third branch of this dealership and thinking 'should I?'

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I agree that some threads about dealers are a little unfair - but usually when this happens someone else jumps in with an opposite view - so a bit of balance.

I also run a company and would be annoyed if a customer had a grievance and slated me on social media etc without giving me a chance to sort the issue. But if a customer of mine (and I'm sure of yours) did have an issue with my company I would sort it out fast.

This doesn't seem to be the case with a lot of motorhome dealers. I seem to always be reading about problems that have been going on for months - sometimes over a year.

Under these circumstances, I believe companies should be named and shamed and hopefully others won't have the same problems.

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
Some could be spending there life savings on a certain dream ,is it not hard to expect that they receive what they are paying for ,if you can't supply that service then why should anyone get away with it ,as someone mentioned your only as good as your last job .

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think life has become too customer / client driven.

In the old days you were expected to read terms and conditions.

These days it seems to be the traders responsibity that you have read them correctly and that you understand them:(

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Let’s face up to the facts. We are all human beings and, whether we are making things or proving a service, we are all capable of making mistakes. In the case of motorhome dealers, we usually expect them to fix a manufacturing defect not of their making or provide (for example) a good habitation service. They won’t always get it right but if they apologise, accept their error and fix it quickly then I will usually be happy. To the extent that I will be content to use them again and recommend them to others, reasonably secure in the knowledge that they will treat me right if problems arise.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I think we have to give funsters a little more credit TBH.
If someone posts a load of stuff about someone some dealer of some product all it does for me is make me want to "investigate it further" for myself.

I will give you a couple of examples but based on your obviously fine tyre and exhaust service Brian you need to think outside the box as the internet is a very dangerous place. One bad review might scare you to death but it's how you manage that review to ensure it's not destroying your business that matters. You always have the right to reply even if to do it you go around it a different way. example, someone moans on a forum that you scratched a wheel when fitting a tyre. Another customer, (say josh) immediately adds a review of how you witnessed loving and cherished care of said wheel when they done yours... score is 1-1, then another mate adds the same similar observation and the public start to now think complainant 1 is nothing more than a you know what.

I have never slated a dealer on here publicly and I have never sang the praises of one either. But when I purchased my current motorhome off ES Hartley about how bad the salesman was and how bad the aftercare was, I immediately got replies from others with examples similar to mine. I receieved a telephone call from one of the directors who promised me a free service and requesting information about said salesman which was duly given. I posted on the forum that the director had been in touch and the action she took. However, I guess it must be some sort of magical service done whilst I am asleep and I never get to see it. Therefore if anyone ever asks me what my buying and aftercare experience would be with that company they will always get whats the truth.

Will it stop people buying from them? no of course it wont. But will it make people ask the right questions? I hope so.

I recently posted about a company called tourershine who I am forking out £450 to have my van detailed. I had about 10 positive responses about the company and 1 "buyer beware" sent by inbox. I was then able to use that info and when I spoke with the company asked for certain reassurances that I was then given. if that funster would not have contacted me I would not have known. So it can work other ways too with positive results.

We have to accept we are living in a different era, only this morning whilst out in Slaithwaite on my scooter during a weekend away in the van, Google asked me to review the Commercial Pub. Well, I ain't ever been there but yesterday whilst running a marathon I ran past it and got the normal abuse from the regulars in it, but I wouldn't review it.

Some people just like to complain and I think society knows that.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I actually find most threads on here about dealerships are fairly well balanced. If someone joins just to have a rant at some business which hasn't responded in exactly the way the thread starter wishes, the forum generally gives due weight to his rant.
If a well known dealership fails to perform in a particular instance, then often as many will post that they've had good service.
It generally takes quite a lot to break "British Reserve" so if someone has been driven to "go off on one" on this forum, it's generally because the poster is at the end of his/her tether, has tried all options as is getting nowhere.
So, like everyone else in business - dealerships will just have to learn to live with social media, airing dirty laundry etc. That particular genie is out of the bottle.
Serve a bad meal, a picture of the burnt offering is on instagram... police badly handle a disturbance, the video is on twitter. Handle a complaint poorly, expect to see your name on Facebook.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I know Brian that you have, based on your reports, had an unimaginable trouble free experience with your dealer, and that may be colouring your opinion or it may be another reason, however mine was such that I did not even get past first post on subjects like mechanics, engineering and a deal. Fortunately I finally purchased in Germany, as I have had some serious issues with my Flair which my German dealer ensured were correctly sorted by the factory. I know of at least 2 other people who purchased from the UK dealer and ended up in the mire of controversy. For the most part I have not shared these on the internet neither have they but whilst there are some who may believe they can achieve satisfaction by starting with public examination where the dealer is held guilty with no defence open to them, for most it is a route to finding out if the tales they have been told are in fact true. I am not sure that your view on the harm that can be caused by forums such as this is correct, there is the old adage that no publicity is bad publicity, do people genuinely decide against a dealer based on a forum thread, probably not, they will bear in mind the critique and examine the dealer with some decent background knowledge and come to their own conclusions.
For example based on the criticism on here of GB vans, how are they still selling? Let alone the dealers surviving?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The sales service we had from our dealer was ace, delivered on time etc. The after sales service was abysmal, I am better at fixing things than their technicians. Once the warranty expired I never went back. However, I have never named them, or recommended them.

Musicboy

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
fulltiming since 2003
Name & shame in my opinion... & why not ... I even agree people should say more . It's the British old style of " don't make a fuss " ...
It's up to the dealers to prove their worth but in my experience the industry is very very below par ... Always , one if many signs to poor sales/ service ... they dont call you back .. Doh ...
pen & paper to record call backs ... No excuse ... We have all been there .... I have a mobile fitter / mechanic to do all servicing & i can see what he's doing ... Most habitation checks I do myself . Never use a dealer .
Can't believe that dealers have a van all day to do a annual service ... No planning at all .. And ... !!!! For those who have megga bucks vans ... Who's driving it about the dealers for poss a test drive ... Worried . Yep ...
Anyway . My opinion but based on years of bad unprofessional service from dealers ... Just saying ...

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I can see this from both points. If someone posts about a bad experiance with a company, it doesn’t mean the company is no good, it means they made a mistake. They should put it right if they have any sense. If ten peaple post about a bad experiance, then alarm bells start to ring. We all give credit where credit is due, good service etc. It’s the same as trip advisor, good and bad. If we are going somewhere we look at trip advisor, if the hotel etc has lots of bad reveiws, you have to ask yourself, should we be going there. We all spend a lot of money on our motorhomes and enjoying them and work hard to do this, or have worked hard if your lucky enough to be retired so why we should we put up with bad service.

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
I find some of the threads very damning they could literally bring a company ,which has taken many years of toil and sweat to build up ,to its knees overnight which I personally think is very wrong

Let me change and add a little to those words please >>

I find some of the companies very damning they could literally bring a customer ,who has taken many years of toil and sweat to be in a position to purchase a motorhome , to his or her knees overnight which I personally think is very wrong.

I have no doubt you thought your words fair and balanced. Do you find mine to be the same ?

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Let me change and add a little to those words please >>

I find some of the companies very damning they could literally bring a customer ,who has taken many years of toil and sweat to be in a position to purchase a motorhome , to his or her knees overnight which I personally think is very wrong.

I have no doubt you thought your words fair and balanced. Do you find mine to be the same ?
Don’t know wether you are trying to start a row with me ,but anyway in answer to your question yes I find it fair cos everyone is entitled to their opinion and that was the purpose of the thread,to get people’s views on the topic.So your response is welcome.(y)
Brian & Jo

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Don’t know wether you are trying to start a row with me ,but anyway in answer to your question yes I find it fair cos everyone is entitled to their opinion and that was the purpose of the thread,to get people’s views on the topic.So your response is welcome.(y)
Brian & Jo

I can assure you, its not my way to start rows anywhere, never mind on here . So , no I clearly state I am not . I"m simply offering a different viewpoint. :)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Yes dealers do lie, but it's common in a lot of business to lie. Transport is another business where you know they will lie. May be it's just the way of life now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back