Year long travel legalities (1 Viewer)

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
Hi,

Just wondering if there are any legalities I need to be aware of when we go travelling for a year. If you know of anything then please let me know (or suggest where I can find out more).

We will be getting a motorhome in the next few weeks and are currently house owners.
House is being sold and we plan to start living in the motorhome at the end of December.
Our 'adventure' is for the whole of 2018.
We will be living in the motorhome near my husband's work from start 2019 until we buy a house (so a few months).
We will have his parent's address (electoral roll, V5, driving licence, GPs, storing belongings) when we sell our house.

In 2018 we will be travelling around UK and EU. Trips to EU max 60 days long each, 6 trips (dog's insurance restrictions). A mix of different countries.

So far I have found out information like NHS entitlement runs out after 90 days in a single trip. That won't affect us but I'm trying to find out if there is anything else that will. I know we will need to sort out insurance and breakdown carefully and I am reading various policy wordings to check we don't do anything wrong and invalidate any insurance!

Thanks!
Moose :)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Am I correct in thinking that every 60 days (2months) you will be driving all the way back home again? How's that going to work?

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
We won't be out for 2 months every time, that is just the maximum length that a trip could be.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Seems a lot of expense to sell your house, to be looking to buy a year later.
Big risk if the prices go up.
Have you thought of renting it out for a year with a reputable agent?
I fulltime in my van and have a fulltimers policy with comfort. I also have insure and go, a backpackers policy that you can buy online and specify the period and amount of cover you want.

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
Hi,
We were moving house anyway so would have to sell and rebuy regardless. Yes, we have considered renting it out, it wouldn't be worth it (financially and stress-wise). Yes, house prices could go up suddenly, that is a risk we are running and have planned how to cope with it if it happens. Thanks for the suggestions though :)

We are currently going through insurance companies finding out who can cover us. Comfort will only do motorhomes newer than 2005 and we are getting 2004. But I have 2, possibly 3 other companies that will cover us so far and still more to ring. We will still have a registered address (electoral roll, banks, V5, licence, GP, belongings and place to live if it goes wrong) and some companies have said that makes it acceptable to the insurers (I am being very open with the details to make sure we are properly covered). I haven't looked at insure and go so I'll add that to the list.

Thanks!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you will need to factor in the vehicle mot as you need to be in the uk to retest. sorry, feeling rough today so dont remember how long, but if your van is out of the uk and in another country so many months it is considered exported and needs reregistering

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
you will need to factor in the vehicle mot as you need to be in the uk to retest. sorry, feeling rough today so dont remember how long, but if your van is out of the uk and in another country so many months it is considered exported and needs reregistering
Hi, thanks for that. We are planning on over the year probably spending 6-9 months in EU (including Ireland) but spread out over the year with no single trip longer than 60 days. The remaining 3-6 months in UK throughout the year will give us plenty of time to sort out the MOT.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
No stress in letting your house. YOU MUST USE A GOOD AGENT. When we rented a house for a year the agent called every three months to check the outside and inside of the house.

colyboy

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Hi,

We are currently going through insurance companies finding out who can cover us. Comfort will only do motorhomes newer than 2005 and we are getting 2004. But I have 2, possibly 3 other companies that will cover us so far and still more to ring. We will still have a registered address (electoral roll, banks, V5, licence, GP, belongings and place to live if it goes wrong) and some companies have said that makes it acceptable to the insurers (I am being very open with the details to make sure we are properly covered).
!

For your van insurance, there is ONLY 1 company who provide a proper fully legal full time policy, with no fixed abode that is neither yours nor for which you have a rental agreement, and that is Aviva Horizon, through Comfort. ( I believe maybe 1 other broker offers it but comfort are the experts)
If you want to be water tight and completely above board, there is NO exception on the market for this cover...........unless you bend the rules as many do, or are mis sold a policy. Be careful!!!

For long term travel health insurance, if you are under 55 then Alpha is the way to go.

Trust me, been at this since 2011!!!

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
For your van insurance, there is ONLY 1 company who provide a proper fully legal full time policy, with no fixed abode that is neither yours nor for which you have a rental agreement, and that is Aviva Horizon, through Comfort. ( I believe maybe 1 other broker offers it but comfort are the experts)
If you want to be water tight and completely above board, there is NO exception on the market for this cover...........unless you bend the rules as many do, or are mis sold a policy. Be careful!!!

For long term travel health insurance, if you are under 55 then Alpha is the way to go.

Trust me, been at this since 2011!!!

Hi, Comfort turned us down straight away as our motorhome is 2004 and they only cover 'newer than 2005'. But with giving all the details (no bending any rules) a few other brokers have said they could provide cover so that's good.

I'll look up Alpha insurance, thanks for the recommendation :)

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
If you have a registered address and it sounds that you have through relatives you are covered in so far that you are legit.dont forget you can live with anybody. From there you can take out any insurance on a van that covers you for EU. Up to 9 mths in the case of van insurance through the caravan club. Pet insurance is as you say short term abroad but as you intend to be back every 60 days I’m sure you have that covered. In essence it is all around a registered address. We are full timers and covered all this with our insurance company and all they wanted to know was our registered address and not away for more than 270 days (9mths)in one trip
It’s great fun and it’s sounds that you have all the bases covered. Keep us posted on your travels and look forward to meeting you and drinking all your wine

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
If you have a registered address and it sounds that you have through relatives you are covered in so far that you are legit.dont forget you can live with anybody. From there you can take out any insurance on a van that covers you for EU. Up to 9 mths in the case of van insurance through the caravan club. Pet insurance is as you say short term abroad but as you intend to be back every 60 days I’m sure you have that covered. In essence it is all around a registered address. We are full timers and covered all this with our insurance company and all they wanted to know was our registered address and not away for more than 270 days (9mths)in one trip
It’s great fun and it’s sounds that you have all the bases covered. Keep us posted on your travels and look forward to meeting you and drinking all your wine

Hi,
As one insurance agent asked me today - 'If the motorhome was stolen or damaged too much to use, where would you live until you got another?'. The answer was at the registered address as that is my husband's parents, we are very close to them, our non-travelling belongings will be there and they would let us live there if needed. She then said that fulfils their requirements for an address.

I am guessing it is so they don't have to deal with homeless people in the event of a claim?

Caravan club said no, they would require us to own a house, even if was only for 9 months.

Pet insurance though it is strict is ok as we don't actually want to be away longer than that at a time anyway (would miss the inlaws too much!).

It is all very exciting! It will be funny to see if we meet anyone from this forum while we are travelling. We are more likely to have cider than wine but could get a bottle in for visitors ;)

Moose

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Where are you planning on travelling to?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If you have a large insurance claim, the insurers may ask for 2 utility bills in your name to prove you are not fulltiming.
This could be when the problems start.
They may also check your ferries to ensure you have not exceeded your allowed time abroad and even check Google earth if you say you park at home.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I insured with sure guard, they give up to 355 days continuous European cover. I simply explained to the insurance company that I planned to tour Europe for anything up to a year, as I hadn't done it before I couldn't predict the future so it could be two months or 12 months, I also couldn't predict my mileage, they said that's totally fine, I insured my van with them in August, I have my mother's address as my registered address for vehicles and insurance etc, passport and driving licence on her address also.as is my mobile phone contract so I have at least one utility bill, I sold my house in August, it does mean that my insurance will be up for renewal while I'm still away as I don't head abroad till January but that should hopefully be a simple online renewal process, I'll Mot the van and tax for a year in late December before I leave UK giving me almost the full year. I never mentioned the words full timing, travelling for up to 12 months is the truth and they accepted that, there was no lies or bending rules involved, I don't own my mother's house or rent it but neither did I when I lived there till I was 21. With full breakdown cover including vehicle repatriation, unlimited mileage, up to 355 days constant in Europe etc it cost £545... Comfort quoted me £1870 for less cover less miles

If you plan to return and buy a house again in twelve months time then just tell them the truth your taking a year out to go travelling your not full timing, like you if things go wrong I go stay with my mum, if the vans damaged etc I go stay with my mum.
Don't over complicate it and deal with any problems if they should happen, insurance is there because we can't predict the future

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
For pet insurance have a look at LV as they have no limit on trips outside the UK. Of course if you dog(s) have pre-existing conditions it may not be possible to get cover, so it might best in those circumstances to stay with your current insurer.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
MAYBE I SHOULD SHOUT :banghead:

There is only ONE full time policy as mentioned above.

It's not about having somewhere else to live in case of an incident, as that's not even covered! It's simply about declaring that you live in your van, and yes, the insurance triples due to the perceived risk as opposed to someone who only uses their motorhome for weekends, it's not fair or right, and it's a rip off, BUT ITS LEGIT and the insurance will pay out! ( I hope!!!)
If you don't mention it, being full time, then it's not a full disclosure of the facts, and is 'bending the truth' !
If age of vehicle is a factor, then that's a shame but something to consider.
Can you provide utility bills in your name at the address you give? Mobile phones are not counted as utility bills! Can you PROVE you live there, and not in your van?
Sorry to labour the point, but it is so misunderstood!

Believe me, I would be happy to be proved wrong, and pay less, but at the end of the day a policy that gives you a piece of paper to show the authorities if you are stopped is very different to a policy that will actually cover you if you have an accident or get the van stolen!

We own a house, and are on the electoral role, have things registered there, but it's rented and I can't prove I live there if asked!

Ya pays ya money, ya takes ya chances!!!;)

Last edited:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
When i phoned safeguard and asked for fulltimers cover they said they dont do it.
When i said they advertised 365 days european cover which is fulltime they hung up on me.
Also i cant see a copy of the policy details online to clarify cover.

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Safeguard don't do 365 days Europe cover they do 355 days Europe cover I never at anytime mentioned fulltiming to them I told the truth and said I'd be touring for up to 12 months continuous
The UK is still part of Europe, so you can be in the motorhome touring constantly for 355 days out of the year, you may only be able to do that 1 year but at the minute that's what I'm doing.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Your adventures sound great and we hope you have a good time...(y) if like us, once you do Europe you’ll find 2mths is never long enough as it is just so easy and cheaper to travel out there :)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It sounds like a wonderful plan for adventure, and I admit I'm jealous. I hope it all works out and you enjoy your tour.

The bit I am struggling to understand is the constraint of pet insurance. Perhaps because I have never ever taken out pet insurance and basically self-insured and took the risk of vet bills.

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
It sounds like a wonderful plan for adventure, and I admit I'm jealous. I hope it all works out and you enjoy your tour.

The bit I am struggling to understand is the constraint of pet insurance. Perhaps because I have never ever taken out pet insurance and basically self-insured and took the risk of vet bills.

We are really looking forward to it! My dog is on insurance and we have previously have to claim on it so ideally we would like to stick to the same company for now. Once he gets a year or two older then we will self insure as the monthly payments will get too high. But we would like to keep him insured and fully covered while we are adventuring for security. I don't know why they have the 3x60 day trip each insurance year but they do so we'll have to stick to that. Luckily the insurance year changes just over half way through our adventure so we will be able to get 6 trips in during 2018.

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
For everyone else with the input about insurance thank you for all your information :)

We aren't trying to get out of anything and I know insurance is likely to be over £1000. However we can't afford to upgrade by nearly £10,000 to get a newer motorhome to fit Comfort's requirements. We have been extremely lucky to find one as new as we have for our budget.

When ringing insurance companies to enquire I have said:
  • We are buying a motorhome soon.
  • We are selling our house in December and then WILL NOT own or rent a house.
  • We will then be LIVING in our motorhome while we travel around UK and EU throughout 2018.
  • My husband's parents have said we can use their house for electoral roll, driving licence, banks, post, GP etc.
  • (after one agent asked) We could live at their house in the case of an emergency.
I have tried to make it really clear to them that we are living in the motorhome. Out of the 16 companies I have tried so far 4 have said yes, 2 maybe (they would need more information) and the rest have said no. I haven't asked who underwrites which policies.

Obviously this may change when we actually get to doing quotes rather than enquiries and if no one can insure us then we will have to lose our deposit on the motorhome and go travelling say in B&Bs. We would far rather have the freedom of a motorhome. We aren't going to break the law to do so though.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
@Randommoose i wish you every luck, and would be interested to know who the 4 company's are who said yes to your circumstances, as I'll try them at renewal too!!!

It's always been only the Aviva policy, who had cornered the market, if there are others now waking up to full timing then that's great, and about time too:)

I wasn't trying to be difficult, just responding to your opening question re being 'legit' (y)

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
@Randommoose i wish you every luck, and would be interested to know who the 4 company's are who said yes to your circumstances, as I'll try them at renewal too!!!

It's always been only the Aviva policy, who had cornered the market, if there are others now waking up to full timing then that's great, and about time too:)

I wasn't trying to be difficult, just responding to your opening question re being 'legit' (y)

I know you aren't being difficult and frankly I'm surprised that as many have said they can insure us (and that Comfort wouldn't do vans older than 2005!). Maybe more of them do the Aviva policy or maybe some others are willing with an address described as above. I don't know.

Once I actually get quotes and have confirmed which companies can do it I will let you know as it would be helpful if there was more than one that offers the service. I can't get the quotes myself as I don't have the C licence so won't be driving, it will be my husband mainly (and sometimes my husband's father) so he will need to ring. However I like the research and finding out detail so I'm doing all the queries.

It is really useful to get input from different people and suggestions and advice. Tricky though when the insurers are saying one thing and it seems to be different from other peoples' experience. I don't want to get caught out!

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
For everyone else with the input about insurance thank you for all your information :)

We aren't trying to get out of anything and I know insurance is likely to be over £1000. However we can't afford to upgrade by nearly £10,000 to get a newer motorhome to fit Comfort's requirements. We have been extremely lucky to find one as new as we have for our budget.

When ringing insurance companies to enquire I have said:
  • We are buying a motorhome soon.
  • We are selling our house in December and then WILL NOT own or rent a house.
  • We will then be LIVING in our motorhome while we travel around UK and EU throughout 2018.
  • My husband's parents have said we can use their house for electoral roll, driving licence, banks, post, GP etc.
  • (after one agent asked) We could live at their house in the case of an emergency.
I have tried to make it really clear to them that we are living in the motorhome. Out of the 16 companies I have tried so far 4 have said yes, 2 maybe (they would need more information) and the rest have said no. I haven't asked who underwrites which policies.

Obviously this may change when we actually get to doing quotes rather than enquiries and if no one can insure us then we will have to lose our deposit on the motorhome and go travelling say in B&Bs. We would far rather have the freedom of a motorhome. We aren't going to break the law to do so though.

I think you are being too prescriptive on yourself around fulltiming. If you register yourselves as living with your parents, that is where you reside. The fact that you own a Motorhome registered and insured from the address it just confirms that you live there. I can only assume that after 60 days abroad when you come back to UK, re pet insurance, you would have need to pop Home to see parents, so in fact you are not full time you are frequent users.

My son moved home with us from a house he sold. He registered living at home with his car insurance and other everyday essentials banks etc.
He had a car claim. There were no issues of a 30 year old living with his parents.

Yes if you are like many selling up for ever and living for years with no fixed abode I can see a full time policy.
We are into our third year traveling Europe. We are back in UK every six months or so pop Home for a few days and off again.
Imagine if you still owned a house and went abroad for the maximum period allowed you would not have any issues. So I say once you are fully registered at your parents address that is where you live.

Good luck

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back