Would you buy a new motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Sep 9, 2020
Deepest Lancashire
Funster No
MH
One day hopefully
With the intended and forced move to electric, is it worth buying a brand new motorhome?

We are seriously having second thoughts regarding parting with a wad of hard earned, to perhaps find limited availability of diesel outlets, and worthless motorhomes in say ten years time.

What are the thoughts of the happy funsters?

download (2).jpg

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
"There are approximately 31.8 million cars on the road in the UK, based on 2019 data. Of these, roughly 18.8 million run on petrol, around 12.3 million on diesel"

Dont quote me on this but sure i heard the other day they still expect 20m cars using Petrol and Diesel on the road in 2030... I dont think most on here need to worry about it at our ages. :wink: (y)

I would not buy a brand new one simply because the quality isnt as good as my current older model.

Currently looking for a new car and it will be petrol...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Diesel will be around for much longer than that - I’ll stick my neck out and say probably min of 15yrs before diesel is no longer widely available.

Perhaps a question to you: Do you intend to keep the same vehicle for 10 or perhaps 15 years?

If not, then why worry about it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Even if they stop production of new vehicles in 2030 spares and fuel will be around for many years after.

Not worth worrying about just buy it and enjoy it, you could enjoy 2, 3 or more new Motorhomes over the next 10 years.

We will probably keep our van another 2 or 3 years then buy another new one.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
In 2030, when the ban on new diesel engine motorhomes comes in, the second hand value will actually increase. New electric motorhomes will be silly expensive with limited range. As long as they remain roadworthy, there will always be diesel available and a queue of people to buy used vans

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
The chief of Shell was on the box last night saying that hybrid vehicles were not banned till 2035 and that Shell will be supplying all fuels that consumers need for as long as there is demand.
Anything new now should have a minimum of 20 years before petrol or diesel pumps start to decline in numbers

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
There's stuff called "Blue Gas" that is being developed.

Might be the answer, (or not).

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Buy it and use it. If you've still got it after 9 years you'll have had a lot of pleasure from it, and it'll still be worth something to someone. Derv will be about long after 2030.

OP
OP
Grumpyfrog
Sep 9, 2020
Deepest Lancashire
Funster No
MH
One day hopefully
Thanks to those that posted. Your comments have been taken on board.
Something Tonka said has me thinking. The point made that he would not buy a brand new motorhome as the quality is just not as good.
Just what sort of age was the 'sweet spot' of quality motorhome production?
While the present restrictions are in being, we have too much time on our hands to overthink things.
We just want to get out and on the road before the motorways are littered with electric cars waiting to be picked up with depleted batteries!

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I don’t see us buying anything newer for the foreseeable future. We like what we have got if only because it’s not too technical.
By the time our smelly diesel is forced off the road our time out on road may have changed so let’s see what happens at that time.
Management has been talking about hybrid cars with her friend. Maybe that would something I would consider to help the environment.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Just what sort of age was the 'sweet spot' of quality motorhome production?
While the present restrictions are in being, we have too much time on our hands to overthink things.
We just want to get out and on the road before the motorways are littered with electric cars waiting to be picked up with depleted batteries!

I have 3 vans - a 1988 Renault Trafic Autosleeper PVC petrol pop top, a 1991 Trafic Eriba diesel coachbuilt pop top and a 2001 Mobilvetta A class - all taxed, insured and MOT'd

Total cost for all three less than £25k - tax and insurance for all less than £2k - would happily take any of them anywhere - just have to choose ! - and all available to my 3 sons (well not the A class) :giggle:

Buy new and 'worry about it' - not for me:giggle: ............but thanks to all those that bought my vans new (y)

...............they bought quality

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Make your own bio diesel. Or use cooking oil as I used to in my Pajero smelt a bit but cost pennies to run🤫😀😀😀

OP
OP
Grumpyfrog
Sep 9, 2020
Deepest Lancashire
Funster No
MH
One day hopefully
Make your own bio diesel. Or use cooking oil as I used to in my Pajero smelt a bit but cost pennies to run🤫😀😀😀

If that was from my local fish and chip shop, the smell would make me feel permanently hungry!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
With the intended and forced move to electric, is it worth buying a brand new motorhome?

We are seriously having second thoughts regarding parting with a wad of hard earned, to perhaps find limited availability of diesel outlets, and worthless motorhomes in say ten years time.

View attachment 467298
From The Times newspaper yesterday: Ban new diesel lorries by 2040, say cabinet advisers

The sale of new diesel lorries should be banned within two decades to cut pollution and greenhouse gas emissions, the government has been told.

The National Infrastructure Commission, which provides advice to ministers, said new diesel-powered heavy goods vehicles should be phased out by 2040.

In November the government announced plans to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel vans by 2030. At the same time it said it would consult on proposals to end the sale of new diesel HGVs, although ministers did not mention a date.

Combustion-engine lorries are seen as far more difficult to phase out than smaller vehicles because of the size of the batteries needed to power electric heavy vehicles.

The Times online is behind a paywall, but here is the link in any case:

So absolutely no need to fear about lack of diesel fuel until at least 2050 at the earliest I'd say (if NEW diesel powered vehicles should be phased out by 2040). And it's still only a recommendation. :unsure:

I'd be perfectly relaxed about buying a new van. (y)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Many people worried about euro III diesel. Then IV, then V and then onto 5b or VI Some asking about VII.

We have had all but VI in motorhomes and have gone back to III since 2016. Without any problems, so-far.

I think non diesel motorhomes are quite some way off. Is there an electric car you can tow a decent sized trailer/caravan with in the pipeline ?. Land Rover maybe in 2025?. What will the likely range be ? (Pardon the pun).

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

View attachment 467298

I see you have not yet got a motorhome(MH)

In which case I think the question you are asking now should come after several other important questions and the answers you have.

Have you already got written down answers to the following, if you have good,if not read on?

What do you want to do with it? Long trips(> 4 weeks)? UK/ foreign? RHD/LHD?
Are you going to use campsite/Aires/wildcamping?
Do you want it for winter use/insulated?
How many people will be travelling(Max)? How many guests for dinner? What ages/agility are they?
What equipment to you want for leisure? Scooter/bicycles/kayak etc?
Do you need emissions category to go into cities?

From those questions come others -

What do you think will be the total you need to carry(incl water/fuel) = 'payload' reqd? Do you know how it is worked out, from what figures? I will give you a clue, answer is only a weighbridge, not bits of sales paper.
What layout do you want? Fixed/dropdown or make-up beds? What type of seating dinette/bench/sofa?
Garage or hang things(bicycles) on rear carrier?

Have you one or two drivers with C1 licence for over 3.5t?
where will you park the MH.? Are there any constraints on width/length? Covenants at house?
Do you have a budget limit?
Have you studied the market to see the difference in price between a new model(plus price of extras(awning solar panels etc - all add up) and the same 5 years old(still young)

From all this have you written down a specification which you can use to eliminate lts of models and concentrate, also to show to(or even send to salesmen so as not to waste time.

If you already have these answers then I apologise for calling them into question, and wasting your time (if you read them)

If/when you have all this sorted out then start worrying about new/secondhand and petrol/diesel 10-15-20 years hence.

You will enjoy looking if you know what you want, instead of getting confused by what you are being shown. Don't dash around looking at MHs when you can get the answers to these questions by research on the models/descriptions in adverts/telephoning the seller before you go to look.

Good luck and enjoy when you buy.

Geoff

OP
OP
Grumpyfrog
Sep 9, 2020
Deepest Lancashire
Funster No
MH
One day hopefully

nicholsong

Hi Geoff,

Interesting and thought provoking post.
I wont pretend we have all the answers to your questions, bust as ex. caravanners of many years, although not quite the same, there are some similarities, especially where payload and layout are concerned,
Storage is not a problem. We have an existing space at a Cassoa storage site. There is also room at home for washing and loading anything up to 7.5m.
I need to get my C1 reinstated if necessary.
I had to smile re. taking bikes, kyaks, scooter etc. My wife's limited mobility unfortunately wouldnt allow that.
A camera and a fishing rod would satisfy me.
You will probably guess that there are only two of us.
We have toured around Europe quite a lot in the c/van. Its I am sure a lot more work than a motorhome.
There is still so much I havent seen in the U.K. and I would be quite happy to gain experience a little nearer home before venturing over the water. ( or under it).

Our funding is in place. We just want to learn all we can from the experience of fellow members. We started off thinking big, but are leaning toward a well equipped PVC or compact coachbuild, which we feel would suit us better.

It would be nice to be able to climb in a few when this Covid lockdown ends!

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I am searching now for a bigger van. Very recently i set a max budget. If i can get a NEW van within that budget i certainly will. 1, 2 or max 3 years old otherwise.
Highly unlikely i am going to be here in 10 years so not bovvered about the issue.
People will still be running around in diesel and petrol vehicles in 30 years time

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Hands up who thinks OPEC will not allow it to die? They control most of the planets wealth derived from oil products, are sat on countless years reserves. They will let the electric / hybrids take a hold then find a solution to fossil fuel use and carbon/nox emissions and have us literally over a barrel. 2050/60 before they are worried about losing revenues

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back