Would you buy a new motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Range on electric vehicles is starting to increase now, Ford are bringing out an all electric transit next year Here with a claimed range of 217miles and a payload over 1.6 tonnes.

They are not so keen on telling us the price or the re-charge time so far, but it’s a big step.

Even so I can’t see enough vehicles being produced at an affordable cost to banish fossil fuelled vehicles in the next 20 years.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Don’t forget the limiting factor also of availability of new motorhomes. The pandemic has slowed the production of the base vehicle, which is yet further constrained by something affecting all types of vehicles - chip/board (control systems) production.

Manufacturers are likely not to have as wide a model range/type as they have now if these production restrictions continue. Already someone has mentioned Rapido have dropped the 696f model, no doubt that will carry on (before someone has a go, yes, manufacturers do drop models all the time and bring in new ones. This drop was reported as being directly due to shortages, not unpopularity of the model).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
As already said nothing happens dead on the date!
Look at our vehicles now, there are still older vehicles about that aren’t up to emissions/don’t have seat belts/etc. It will take time to completely eradicate diesel & petrol engines!

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Yes I did!
Better to spend it while you can and enjoy it and spend the kids inheritance.
By the time the world goes electric I will have kicked the bucket or past caring.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
If the build quality of my brand new Burstner is anything to go by it will have fell to bits long before it becomes a problem re allowing diesel fuelled motorhome to travel.
I’m on my 3rd new MH in just over 2 years ,successfully rejected 2 Germany built & am now on a pilote, the build quality of them all is pretty good BUT the quality control of them ALL is piss poor , A used MH at half the price & half the problems don’t sound too bad to me 🤕

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Hands up who thinks OPEC will not allow it to die? They control most of the planets wealth derived from oil products, are sat on countless years reserves. They will let the electric / hybrids take a hold then find a solution to fossil fuel use and carbon/nox emissions and have us literally over a barrel. 2050/60 before they are worried about losing revenues
I read yesterday that 90% of Saudi Arabia's electricity is from oil driven generators which consume 18% of their own oil production. Not much incentive for them to go Green.
The oil producers worldwide have trillions invested in exploration, extraction and distribution, the profits from which most of us depend substantially for our pensions so hopefully they'll develop technology enabling fossil fuels to burn more cleanly. Anyway, at 75 I'll not be personally affected by the situation in 15 years' time. Selfish maybe, but I can do no more now than recycle where possible and buy low transport miles products.
I'm still not convinced that scrapping perfectly good but banned fossil fuel powered vehicles will save more pollution than is caused by the mining of raw materials and the construction of new so-called eco-friendly leccy vehicles and the construction of electricity generating installations and infrastructure needed to power them. Who knows, it may be found that electric vehicles have hitherto unknown health or environmental downsides. Interfering with the natural world has never been a zero sum activity.
I heard this morning on R4 about 'clean' industries 'selling' their carbon credits to polluting industries so where's the saving or incentive for polluting industries to clean up their emissions?

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I should think the TV programme shown this week on going electric (Cars: The End of Petrol and Diesel?) would put may off buying electric currently, unless they only do local journeys. The reporter's experience of trying to do a longer journey would certainly be a disincentive to me (if it weren't already), given she had to make two unsuccessful stops on the motorway to recharge, and then had to go 'off route' to find a charging station. Then you're looking at at least 15 minutes to charge, even on fast charging. That may be fine on motorway trips when you've stopped for a brew and a break, but when you're literally just stopping to refuel it's a PITA. I would think on the single journey shown, at least 45 minutes would've been added to the journey by the charge time, plus the time taken to make two unsuccessful stops. And when there are lots more vehicles needing charging, and you're sitting there in a queue...

Lots of my camping trips involve initial journeys of almost four hours, and I generally don't have to refuel until I'm home again nearly a week later. I am usually 'off grid'. So having to factor in multiple charging stops/short trips, is definitely not what I'm keen to do. It'll be interesting to see how this all develops. I did also notice that on the programme there wasn't a single mention of the dire social and environmental impact of the 'rare earth' minerals used in the batteries, apart from Lithium.

I'll be driving a fossil-fuelled van for a while yet. When I change the car I may look at hybrids but I certainly won't go full electric until their 'green credentials' are a lot better than they currently are, despite all the hype.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I read yesterday that 90% of Saudi Arabia's electricity is from oil driven generators which consume 18% of their own oil production. Not much incentive for them to go Green.
The oil producers worldwide have trillions invested in exploration, extraction and distribution, the profits from which most of us depend substantially for our pensions so hopefully they'll develop technology enabling fossil fuels to burn more cleanly. Anyway, at 75 I'll not be personally affected by the situation in 15 years' time. Selfish maybe, but I can do no more now than recycle where possible and buy low transport miles products.
I'm still not convinced that scrapping perfectly good but banned fossil fuel powered vehicles will save more pollution than is caused by the mining of raw materials and the construction of new so-called eco-friendly leccy vehicles and the construction of electricity generating installations and infrastructure needed to power them. Who knows, it may be found that electric vehicles have hitherto unknown health or environmental downsides. Interfering with the natural world has never been a zero sum activity.
I heard this morning on R4 about 'clean' industries 'selling' their carbon credits to polluting industries so where's the saving or incentive for polluting industries to clean up their emissions?

I agree that carbon credits are a scam. They are the modern equivalent of the "indulgences" that the medieval Catholic Church used to sell to rich sinners as a carry-on-sinning-if-you-want-to tax raising scheme to help fund the lavish lifestyle of the clergy.

The more I read about it the less I am convinced by the consensus about anthropogenic climate change allegedly caused by rising CO2 emissions. Likewise, sceptical about the Paris Accord, which is for the benefit of China, India, and developing countries who will be allowed to double or even triple their CO2 emissions, while the West is obliged to de-industrialise and lose its competitive advantages at huge economic cost to jobs and prosperity. It is "green" nonsense.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
With the intended and forced move to electric, is it worth buying a brand new motorhome?

We are seriously having second thoughts regarding parting with a wad of hard earned, to perhaps find limited availability of diesel outlets, and worthless motorhomes in say ten years time.

What are the thoughts of the happy funsters?

View attachment 467298
When viewing motorhomes a couple of years back there was a two year old model up for sale, the reason it was for sale was the owners wife had passed away as the Nike Advert says Just Do it. We brought new as it meant we brought an EU6 vehicle the difference in cost of a vehicle which was EU5 and Two years younger was £10K.

Diesel will be here for much longer than 10 Years as other have said EV's are eye wateringly expensive just get one enjoy it and if you looking for long term 10-20 years at this time I cannot imagine you will still be driving it.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Instead of the nanny weather forecasters nagging us to take a raincoat or an umbrella they'll have to warn us when not to go out in our leccy vehicles due to the wrong type of sun, lack of wind, or ice on the wind generator blades.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Instead of the nanny weather forecasters nagging us to take a raincoat or an umbrella they'll have to warn us when not to go out in our leccy vehicles due to the wrong type of sun, lack of wind, or ice on the wind generator blades.
I think you might have been influenced by the recent problems in Texas. The iced up wind turbines were only a minor contributor to the problems, most of their electricity supplies are gas and coal. Being the Lone Star State they have not joined either the West or East US grids and were on their own when things went wrong.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Unless I had lots of money probably not, as there would be a lot of other things first before buying a new motorhome.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Terry Grumpyfrog

You said

"Our funding is in place. We just want to learn all we can from the experience of fellow members. We started off thinking big, but are leaning toward a well equipped PVC or compact coachbuild, which we feel would suit us better."

I might have cut down the Qs I posed had I known about your extensive caravan touring experience.

You have had a variety of views on here about the pending electrification of new vehicles and I think I cannot add much to that other than things will become clearer nearer the time, including the possibility of dates slipping.

You also said you are reluctant to shell out a shedload of money now, if there are chances of not getting fuel in say 15 years. Combining that with the following :-

Secondhand prices versus new - if one compares the new price(incl all extras fitted ( e.g. a lot of manufacturers now count an awning as an extra) then look at same model 3-4 years later the latter are usually only 50-60% of the new price.

Many first-time buyers of MHs change within 3-4 years, even if they have had caravan experience, unless they have done a lot of research, which you may have done already.

You may find your style of touring changes from caravanning, but will not know exactly what will suit you in a MH till you have experienced it, which in itself could alter your requirements.

Taking the last 4 points into account I would suggest you seriously think of buying a good secondhand MH now with the idea that you will exchange it nearer the leccy date when more is clear about the future of diesel, and you have more experience of MHs and how various ones fit into your new touring style.

On another aspect, you say you are leaning to a well-equipped PVC or compact coachbuilt. A bit outside my market experience, except that when looking at the better quality MH ranges some of the manufacturers do not do coachbuilt at all.

My other observation, which may be relevant if you were to buy secondhand, is that buying a quality MH at say 3-4 years and selling again at another 3-4 years you would suffer very little depreciation, compared with some cheaper brands which may be starting to look a bit worn. Another point on quality MHs is that they are usually built with aluminium sandwich construction with no timber and almost free of damp faults.

These thoughts just flow from your original question, to which there is no definitive answer now, so a flexible answer to your purchase may suit you.

Geoff

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
With the intended and forced move to electric, is it worth buying a brand new motorhome?

We are seriously having second thoughts regarding parting with a wad of hard earned, to perhaps find limited availability of diesel outlets, and worthless motorhomes in say ten years time.

What are the thoughts of the happy funsters?

View attachment 467298
Good used for me everytime, so much more for your money and easier to resell if it doesnt quite suit your needs/ work as well as you hoped

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Good used for me everytime, so much more for your money and easier to resell if it doesnt quite suit your needs/ work as well as you hoped
Yep, and let someone else pay for and be inconvenienced by having to take it back to a distant and often disinterested supplying dealer for the annual hab checks and sorting out faults under warranty.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Yep, and let someone else pay for and be inconvenienced by having to take it back to a distant and often disinterested supplying dealer for the annual hab checks and sorting out faults under warranty.
And let someone else fart in the bed and let their dog drag it’s arse up the lounge carpet.......not for me, new every time😄

OP
OP
Grumpyfrog
Sep 9, 2020
Deepest Lancashire
Funster No
MH
One day hopefully
And let someone else fart in the bed and let their dog drag it’s arse up the lounge carpet.......not for me, new every time😄
tenor.gif

Love it!

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Fair point; we all have our fetishes. For 14 years I stayed almost every week in a variety of hotels throughout Europe, Africa and the Middle East so it's not a concern for me.
For far less than the immediate depreciation you can have someone replace the carpet, mattress, loo seat, tooth brush holder, and whatever else worries you.
(I've read on here of owners of new m/hs finding that the toilet has been used or even that the cassette had 'contents', presumably c/o staff at the supplying dealer).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back