Aire Wissant aire (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know wether to comment or not after my going on about gravelines, but I'm afraid we don't like this one, too crowded, very shaded , not as close to anything, buses, I know a lot like it and if you are heading south it is in the right direction but not for us I'm afraid :(

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We use this one regularly. Very nice but you need to arrive by mid afternoon in busy season. West of Calais 10 Km. Nice walk into the village. Can’t agree with chaser above but horses for courses.
Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We’ve never stayed because we tried in 2019 and it rammed full, used the dump point which I found hard to use due to position and size.
so it’s a no from me.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We've used it quite a few times as it's been a convenient stop, either outbound if we've done a late afternoon crossing or inbound waiting for the 24 hour dog test delay.
However recently it's proved too popular and we've had to go elsewhere - agree if you're not there by early afternoon forget it. And never ever park in the bus bays.......................
However, although there are few facilities (a waste water dump and litter, no water), it's been okay. Going out the back gate it's a nice enough walk into the town (remember which way you go, easy to get lost). Forget the beach if it's high tide though!
There's another private aire a short distance away which is very pleasant at a reasonable cost.

Overall, it's okay (and free) but not a "goto" destination methinks.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Don't know wether to comment or not after my going on about gravelines, but I'm afraid we don't like this one, too crowded, very shaded , not as close to anything, buses, I know a lot like it and if you are heading south it is in the right direction but not for us I'm afraid :(
Thats the thing, if we dont get varying opinions then we only get confirmatory ones which doesnt help.
Gravelines has the "your bike will be stolen" comments and as long as comments are informative (which yours is) then people can make judgements.

Cheers

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
We have tried many times to stop at Wissant but always found it rammed full. Once we arrived fairly late and there was even a Motorhome parked up on the 'borne de service '

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thats the thing, if we dont get varying opinions then we only get confirmatory ones which doesnt help.
Gravelines has the "your bike will be stolen" comments and as long as comments are informative (which yours is) then people can make judgements.

Cheers
I am quite surprised that we aren't the only ones who don't like this one as it useually gets a good writeup.

May 9, 2011
Cheshire / Vale De Parra
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55
Exp
Since 2011
Tried to stop at Wissant on our return from Portugal in early December, it was closed with barriers across the entrance, looked like they were doing work on the Aire, didn’t stop carried on to Gravelines.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We've used this aire quite a few times, we've always managed to get a space. It's a nice walk into the village which has bars, restaurants, shops & small supermarket. It's never full in the winter and last time we were there the buses weren't.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Used it loads of times. Its not always about the aire, its the locality. We like the town and the open beach, also nice sun drenched bars and restaurants.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Used it once, never again. Buses started up very early in the morning and left on tick over to warm up. So no lie in for us. I think they are school buses so may be OK at the weekend.

We used to stay at Cite Europe when we arrived from the tunnel, but that is closed now. Any recomendations for easy stopover half an hour or so South of Calais (so not Gravelines)? Does anybody stop at the Auchun East of Boulogne, as it does have a bourne?

Edit. I will take the risk with immigrants

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Used it once, never again. Buses started up very early in the morning and left on tick over to warm up. So no lie in for us. I think they are school buses so may be OK at the weekend.

We used to stay at Cite Europe when we arrived from the tunnel, but that is closed now. Any recomendations for easy stopover half an hour or so South of Calais (so not Gravelines)? Does anybody stop at the Auchun East of Boulogne, as it does have a bourne?

Edit. I will take the risk with immigrants
Why not put the Auchan, east of Boulogne, onto the map with a description and then people can add their comments to that one.

Go to Local Guide, select France, select aire, and fill out the details.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
If Wissant is full or we prefer a view and walk to the Brewery next door then give Les 2 Caps a go, on the hill above the coast with views over the channel. Grass terraces are you enter the farm then hard standing and grass with EHU behind the farm buildings.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Wissant town is nice, the aire is usually full, but if you can get in, worth a try. The noisy buses issue is fair comment, if you are fresh from UK you have already lost an hour to French time so are woken up even earlier. Since you have to go out of your way to see if there is a space we haven't bothered with it for some years preferring to go further inland.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Why not put the Auchan, east of Boulogne, onto the map with a description and then people can add their comments to that one.

Go to Local Guide, select France, select aire, and fill out the details.
The local guide is for locals to recommend places they know about to those who don't know about them. I can't recommend it until I have been there.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
The local guide is for locals to recommend places they know about to those who don't know about them. I can't recommend it until I have been there.
In which case dont recommend it.
Put it on the map and say "This area has been known to be used and has a borne available, If anyone knows if it is ok to overnight please update"

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I seriously give up.
Go create a thread asking about the Auchan instead of asking about it on a thread entitled "Wissant" and dont put the thread on the map.
Whooaaa easy tiger.

In my post I did comment on Wissant, but it is quite usual on MHF threads for there to be related questions or comments at the same time. Sorry, but I didn't realise you don't approve of that.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Whooaaa easy tiger.

In my post I did comment on Wissant, but it is quite usual on MHF threads for there to be related questions or comments at the same time. Sorry, but I didn't realise you don't approve of that.
A map thread post, not a usual thread. It is going to take some getting used to.

You may want to take some note of this thread I created for you and it now appears on the map.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back