Wireless rear view cameras - reccomendations (1 Viewer)

Dazned

Free Member
Aug 22, 2017
Snowdonia
Funster No
MH
Talbot Autotrail Chinook
Exp
1day !
Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a wireless 2.4ghz rear view camera and screen for our autotrail Chinhook. I know it's not a big MoHo but I like to see what is behind when driving and reversing.
There are a few on eBay at around the £50 mark but I thought I would ask opinions of you peeps who have one fitted.

My reason for going wireless is ease of installation (don't fancy running cables the full length of vehicle inside). Power supply to camera and screen is not a problem

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers.

Darren.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many wireless cameras are very close to their max range on a motorhome and can suffer RF interference because of the weak signal.
Admittedly, hard wiring is a pain in the neck but far superior.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Can't help with the wireless as had one once and it was useless, bought the twin wired one from DRW Electronics for around £165 and that works okay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
What the man above said! I've seen plenty of wireless cameras fitted to motorhomes but I've yet to see a truly reliable system. Every single one I've seen showed some sort of interference and picture break up at some point or another. Recommendation is to fit a hard wired system.

D.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Garmin camera, wireless connected to 760LTM. (y)

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
It's all a matter of luck I think. I fitted a wireless one in our last van ani it was great. In our present van I have fitted a supplementary one because the dealer installed a double one connected to the reverse gear which meant I could only see the rear bike carrier when reversing and not where I was going. Any way this supplementary camera gives a great rear view fitted in the bumper but it is right on the limit for wireless so I plan to convert to wired. Wireless is worth a try, you can always convert to wired later

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
Against the flow somewhat:

For our big trailer, we fitted cameras on both sides at the rear to allow for running in Europe. They were wired to the front inside, then we attached a transmitter.

The tow vehicle is a Discovery V8, we have a 7" screen at the front, cabled to a receiver in a box which sits somewhere in the back by the back door.

That gives us a continuous rear view, we don't turn it off when travelling and it has been 100% reliable over 5 years or so.

The individual parts were bought off ebay, the cameras both has reversing guide lines which we didn't want so have changed them for cameras without.

That;s the monitor showing the rear view as we drove down to the South of France in 2014, TomTom sat nav in the HP Ipaq device on the right.

Very bright sun has made the contrast a bit weak, sorry!

Our son in front with his Discovery.

At Villey le Sec, near Nancy.

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back