Wing wont start (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Sorry If I am wrong or missing something on The Wing not starting, but even if the fuel pump was kaputt, why did the engine not turn over on the starter?
If the engine turned over on the key, and then did not start, then one might look at fuel starvation or ignition electrics etc
How could they possibly know it was the fuel pump, without the engine not turning over trying to fire up?
LES
Modern electronics are a nightmare to diagnose. An example, on older boilers if the fan didn't run it was easy, has it got power? yes then it's a faulty fan.....no power then it's a PCB fault. Move on a bit in time and now if a fan is faulty the PCB will know and won't send it any power. After this change all diagnostic procedures had to change. It's far more complicated than it was.

May 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Yes. I can well believe that the ECU tries to turn on the fuel pump to prime the system, and when the pump fails to run the ECU won't let you crank it as that would be pointless and drain the battery. Is that the case on this bike though? Dunno. But a dealer should have diagnostics where the computer will tell you why it is refusing to go. Perhaps it was pointing to the fuel pump, but the problem is actually in the loom between the ECU and pump. Really could be anything.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Quite like the look of the X-Adv, maybe something ill look at when i decide to diwnsize.
Honestly i was so surprised when i rode it.
Got plenty of go in it for me at my age (i still like to play and chuck it about)
I can sit on it and ride in one go longer than on the Wing.
I have done a bit of green laneing
It's doing 75.5 mpg
Got 4 modes in the DCT
It's confused all the punters as they are struggling to define what it is, a scoot or a bike. I've decided it's deffo a bike.
It ticks a lot of boxes.
I love it so much i don't need the Wing.................even when it's running :LOL:
Might get a retro modern to go along side it. Fancy a CB 1100 like i had before.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Yes. I can well believe that the ECU tries to turn on the fuel pump to prime the system, and when the pump fails to run the ECU won't let you crank it as that would be pointless and drain the battery. Is that the case on this bike though? Dunno. But a dealer should have diagnostics where the computer will tell you why it is refusing to go. Perhaps it was pointing to the fuel pump, but the problem is actually in the loom between the ECU and pump. Really could be anything.
Certainly with boilers and I expect it's the same with most stuff, diagnosing is centered on questioning the PCB, however the answer will normally only be able to point in a direction of a fault, rarely can it identify a component fault. Another example from a boiler, modern boilers have air flow sensing and if faulty the pcb will be able to tell you that there is a problem with air flow but we then have to find out 1) is there a blockage 2) is the fan running at the correct speed 3) is the sensor faulty 4) is the PCB faulty 5) is it a wiring fault. Add to that every component is expensive and the customer will not pay if we order the wrong one, it's not easy from whichever side of the counter you are on.
It was much easier in the old days and I'm glad I'm out of it now

Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Honestly i was so surprised when i rode it.
Got plenty of go in it for me at my age (i still like to play and chuck it about)
I can sit on it and ride in one go longer than on the Wing.
I have done a bit of green laneing
It's doing 75.5 mpg
Got 4 modes in the DCT
It's confused all the punters as they are struggling to define what it is, a scoot or a bike. I've decided it's deffo a bike.
It ticks a lot of boxes.
I love it so much i don't need the Wing.................even when it's running :LOL:
Might get a retro modern to go along side it. Fancy a CB 1100 like i had before.
Hi Bobnick, if you are looking for a goldwing guru you could call Dave Partridge at AwingAway in Telford.
If he canā€™t fix it no-one can!!!!!
Alex W (goldwing rider)

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Hi Bobnick, if you are looking for a goldwing guru you could call Dave Partridge at AwingAway in Telford.
If he canā€™t fix it no-one can!!!!!
Alex W (goldwing rider)
Thanks for that.
I am commited at the mo as the bike is with Bill Smiths.
The name has gone in my little blue book.

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Thanks for that.
I am commited at the mo as the bike is with Bill Smiths.
The name has gone in my little blue book.
Bob and if you come to Telford as previously discussed I have overnight parking with all facilities or an en suite bedroom + of course the use of the garden baršŸ˜œ

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Bob and if you come to Telford as previously discussed I have overnight parking with all facilities or an en suite bedroom + of course the use of the garden baršŸ˜œ
Hope the room has a nice radiator in it to keep me warm :LOL: ;)
A very gracious offer, thank you.

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Hope the room has a nice radiator in it to keep me warm :LOL: ;)
A very gracious offer, thank you.
My progress to date, going to bury the pipes that the builder in the 80ā€™s didnā€™t seem to think was a good idea. I have another radiator hung just need stepson to re plumb and then patch the wall. Ho wouldnā€™t do it in the winter in case he encountered problems

Yorick of course you can bearing in mind you would then be indebted to me and I may have to call with you on my next trip to Spain šŸ‘

image.jpg

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Sold mine and bought a motorhome. No regrets

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I don't believe what i have just heard on a telephone call from Bill Smiths Honda.
"It's the kill switch Bob."
Well i was speechless. How long have they had the bike. I know nowt but i would have started there.
Unbelievable.
Ordered a new one that will be coming from Belgium, Ā£545. Pay up front it will be here on Friday.
Spanner monkey don't work Fri Sat Sun And Mon (good job eh) so Tuesday it's his first job to put it back together.

I'm going for a lay down.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I don't believe what i have just heard on a telephone call from Bill Smiths Honda.
"It's the kill switch Bob."
Well i was speechless. How long have they had the bike. I know nowt but i would have started there.
Unbelievable.
Ordered a new one that will be coming from Belgium, Ā£545. Pay up front it will be here on Friday.
Spanner monkey don't work Fri Sat Sun And Mon (good job eh) so Tuesday it's his first job to put it back together.

I'm going for a lay down.
Do you ever use the kill switch Bob? If not then it's likely got some oxidisation around the contacts, a good squirt of contact cleaner and switching it on and off a few times might get it working again.
I know one thing I doubt if i'd ever use Bill Smith for any work on a bike of mine.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Their getting as useless as car dealers šŸ˜”šŸ˜”

Had an issue with a triumph a number of years ago. Always overheating. Two dealers tried to fix it over 3 years and couldnā€™t.

Took it to a local backstreet bikers garage. ā€œIf Darren canā€™t fix it then no one canā€ I was told by mates.

He fixed it within an hour.

Now only he is allowed anywhere near my bikes.

Dealers ā€¦ā€¦. šŸ˜”šŸ˜”šŸ˜”šŸ˜”

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 yearsā€¦.
New bike in 2001, took it to the local Yamaha dealer for its first service.
Picked it up and driving home and the chain was slapping on the swinging arm!! Rang them and they said ok bring it backšŸ˜³
Donā€™t think so said I you send someone out to do Iā€™m not wasting my time and petrol againšŸ˜
Little while later a mechanic turned up and adjusted it in the garageā€¦ā€¦

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Do you ever use the kill switch Bob? If not then it's likely got some oxidisation around the contacts, a good squirt of contact cleaner and switching it on and off a few times might get it working again.
I know one thing I doubt if i'd ever use Bill Smith for any work on a bike of mine.
Never ever used it on any of my bikes other than by accident.
As for switching it on and off a few times i did that scores of times when the issue first manifested itself.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back