Will I have fused solar panel? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Repaced my 5 year old Varta leisure battery with the same model as fitted (LDS105). The van is in indoor storage and was on hook up with a smart charger connected. I turned off the hookup (and therefore the charger) before removing old battery and fitting new battery. What I didn't know one should do, is to remove the fuse to the solar panel.
Is it likely that I have damaged the solar panel (or blown the fuse) by connecting new battery without disconnecting the solar?
As van was indoors didn't even think about the solar panel. Only realised I should have when following a thread about changing leisure battery.
If solar fuse has blown, where is the fuse likey to be fitted? And what value will it be?
Thanks.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I doubt it has blown, especially being indoors.
What you should do now is disconnect the solar panel from the controller then connect the fully charged battery to the controller....then reconnect the panel.
This 'tells' the controller what the battery voltage is so it can provide the correct voltage.
The fuse is usually close to the battery....if one was fitted.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Should be all OK but some solar regulators require the regulator connecting to the battery first then the panels connecting to it. So may be worth disconnecting the regulator then connect in the correct order.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks Pappajohn and LennyHB. I'll need to go out to the van tomorrow and see if I can fathom how to disconnect the regulator. The solar panel and controller (a Sunworks dual battery) was fitted when we bought the van so unsure where the in line fuse will be. Would removing the fuse, in effect, be disconnecting the regulator? The spark who fitted all accessories to our van was apparently very good so I'm sure he would have fitted a fuse near to the leisure battery.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Depends which side of the regulator it is, input or output.
You just need to disconnect one of the connections to the panel. This is from the Sunworks site if yours is the same either one of the two right hand side connections will do.

upload_2017-12-20_18-1-41.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think you could just do it at night or cover the panel with a bit of cardboard if doing it in daylight. Then disconnect the battery, have a swig or two of tea, then reconnect. :)

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Will go to van tomorrow and take it out for a run. Will then be able to see whether panel is working ok (by looking at the charging rate on the controller LCD panel).

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Will go to van tomorrow and take it out for a run. Will then be able to see whether panel is working ok (by looking at the charging rate on the controller LCD panel).
Be careful. You won't know if the controller thinks you have a 24v system by just looking at the charge rate. If it thinks you do have a 24v system it will charge your batteries - then fry them.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
@DBK- so what I should do whilst stll in storage is cover the panel, disconnect the battery, wait a while then reconnect the battery before goi g out? Sorry if I'm being thick!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
@DBK- so what I should do whilst stll in storage is cover the panel, disconnect the battery, wait a while then reconnect the battery before goi g out? Sorry if I'm being thick!
In hindsight I'm not 100% sure my suggestion will work. It should, but the only safe way is to disconnect the panel first, connect the battery then reconnect the panel. I don't want to be responsible for causing damage. :)
Hopefully, others might chip in with comments.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The solar controller electronics do not function without a power supply therefore whilst the battery is disconnected the controller is unable to regulate the output of the solar panel. So the controller and its electronics are subjected to whatever voltage the panel is putting out at the time. Given that you were indoors the panel output would not be high enough to cause any damage and the controller will be fine. However it would be wise to re-boot it (remove 12v battery connection then reconnect it) with the panel totally covered or disconnected which will allow the regulator to reset correctly and, as pointed out above, re-sense the battery voltage to which it is connected. Given the current level of sunlight it won't do any harm even if it does think you have a 24v battery but it's worth allowing it to reset before making any serious use of the van.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
As both the vehicle battery and the leisure battery are charged by the solar panel, will I need to disconnect both batteries in order to allow the regulator to reset?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back