Which phone package

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by dicksob, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Deleted member 29692

Deleted member 29692 Deleted User

Ratings:
    +0
    Easily, especially if it’s your only source of internet.

I’ll give you one example. Streaming video or live TV will use between 600MB and 1.4GB per hour depending on the source and the quality.

• Like it Like it x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. SMB

SMB Funster

Ratings:
    +1,055
    I have a 30 day contract sim with 3 which gives me unlimited data in the UK and 200 minutes, 1000 texts which is £27 a month. The gf has a plusnet 30 day contract with 2.5gb data, 1000 minutes and unlimited texts which is £8 a month. Both have worked well in Spain and Portugul including tethering even though I believe its not supposed to work. We've been abroad since the middle of September and haven't had any 60 day warnings yet. I have found that in most locations the plusnet data worked best, achieving 4g where the 3 simcard didn't :Smile:

• Like it Like it x 2
  3. The general

The general Funster

Ratings:
    +403
    All depends what the individual does with the data ?

4. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Ratings:
    +6,158
    Fortunately swmbo does not know you can stream radio so at least if we're abroad I get a break from the appalling Chris Evans. In some of northern France you can get radio 4 on the long wave.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 2
  5. dicksob

dicksob Funster

Ratings:
    +297
    Thanks all for your experience and advice. Decided to stick with Vodaphone for next 12 months, great coverage here in Scotland, but double my data to 20gb and, as others have advised, see how we go!
    Thanks again to all.
    Bill

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. shawn&emma

shawn&emma Funster

Ratings:
    +1,059
    Vodafone very time for us now. Had 8gb on each phone and tethered with no problem using that over 6 weeks traveling back to UK in oct/Nov. Brought a 30gb sim for the mifi before we left to come back and used that with no problems all the way back, never had a problem with signal or strength.

We can easily use 1gb a day if both using our pads, if we get close we just teather from the phone.

When we were in Scotland on Mull over the 5 years Vodafone was the best provider.

• Like it Like it x 2
  7. TeeMyob

TeeMyob Funster

Ratings:
    +2,650
    I Have tried them all.

VODAPHONE For mobile costs was stupid (2014-2016).

I am currently on PlusNet (very poor signal even when working around Manchester).

I am going Back to THREE, 3 who are best overall and have WiFi Calling. This is a bonus as I also have a 50gb Vodaphone mobile router.

TM

• Like it Like it x 1
  8. sally47

sally47 Funster

Ratings:
    +142
    Ive been with three for years and can't get better covers us through Europe one or two bad spots in uk have mobile dongle for I pad 20 gas for £10 pm if you want data on your phone I've just taken 2 contracts for my grand daughters 12 month unlimited mins unlimited texts unlimited data £26 PM

9. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Ratings:
    +3,962
    Thanks for this thread - Just upgraded my 3 package. From 600 minutes call time to a 'all you can eat call minutes' and from 1gb to 4gb data all for the same £10 per month. :cheers::clap2:

• Like it Like it x 2
  10. Madcaravanner

Madcaravanner Funster

Chesterfield / Soumeras Near Montendre 17130
    Ratings:
    +2,581
    I'm on 3
    Just had to get a new phone after one I bought decided to go faulty so got a Huwuei Honor
    The deal I got was simple pay for 4GB data get 12GB unlimited calls unlimited text and Go Binge which means that certain streaming sites can be used without affecting your data usage so I am paying for the phone BUT

Stephanie has the same contract as Sim only for £10 a month

We used it all over France and Spain for 4 months last year without being cut off by their Fair use policy and had enough data to download a few Game of Thrones episodes though we are planning on a mifi unit this year as as has been said before you can't tether when roaming

We only really had problems when we were out of the back of beyond where there were no masts around but they are going mad putting new ones in

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. ironduck

ironduck Funster

Ratings:
    +30
    My Motorhome WiFi 4G roof aerial linked to a Huawei B315 router performs fantastically well.

My experience:

Three phone sim only: I was lucky enough to get an early sim with unlimited data. UK coverage very good in urban areas - tethering limit - EU - they seem to only provide 3G (12Gb pM) and no tethering.

EE data sim only: UK excellent 4G - EU - I get good 4G where Three are giving 3G. Same data as UK and tethering ok

Voda data sim: Terriblly patchy in UK eg OXFORD CCC - very poor. EU - excellent as 4G readily available with same allowance as UK.

12. gradyp

gradyp

Ratings:
    +133
    I use "3" 30gb per month (12gb per month abroad) no problems tethering just set your phone as "hotspot", used it for 2 months abroad , France and Spain and no problems using the laptop through the phone

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  13. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

Ratings:
    +10,291
    We've both been with "3" for about then years. Our internet (Sky) was diabolical & as we had unlimited downloads at the time, we used the connection to tether with as our sole internet source & had no problems at all.
    Sky finally got their finger out with the internet so we moved back with them.
    Our current "3" deal has limited downloads but we still use the tethering feature when away in the motorhome.

14. Tom2023

Tom2023 Funster

Ratings:
    +194
    With the Vodafone data only SIMs you can use your full allowance abroad, they allow tethering but you can only use it abroad for 2 months in every 4 month period.

No idea what happens when you reach your 2 month limit.

15. kelpie

kelpie Funster

Ratings:
    +997
    Going to do the same but couldn't get through to them a couple of days before Christmas . will try at the end of the week. Touch wood , in Scotland granted , never not been able to stream video.
    John

• Like it Like it x 1
  16. JaveaSteve

JaveaSteve Funster

Ratings:
    +3
    Having followed this post, thought best to advise those interested, if any, have just this minute bought a Three 3 12gb sim valid for 12 months for €21.44 from Amazon.es for delivery to Spanish address, that's almost half the price from Three.co.uk (£40) and a third cheaper than from Amazon.co.uk (£33.99) who would not deliver to Spain. Thank you all for your recommendations.

17. Tom2023

Tom2023 Funster

Ratings:
    +194
    Just spoke to vodafone about their 2 month foreign use in 4 month limit.

Your 2 months start the day you first use the SIM abroad.They will contact you when your 2 months is up so you can make a decision to stop using the SIM or use incurring charges.

They did advise me to get a rolling 30 day contract and cancel it after a month.

I think vodafone are way better value than 3 UK at the moment.

18. Emmit

Emmit Funster

Ratings:
    +4,568
    @kelpie Do you have a link for the above? I 've tried and failed to find that deal which I would find useful.

19. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Ratings:
    +4,302
    There does seem to be some confusion. I had chat with a nice lady yesterday and after first telling me I could only use roaming data for two months, after which I had the option to purchase more or be charged at the standard rate or go PAYG, she went on to tell me I could use my data without restriction and it would not be cut off after two months and to would not cost more. I assume this is because a monthly contract renews every month. Anyway I attach a transcript which might be of interest to those on extended trips. It might be worth having an internet chat to see if you get the same answer, at least then you have it in writing.

"Info: Thank you for choosing to chat with us. An agent will be with you shortly.
    Info: You're now chatting with Pramila.
    Info:
    ian Johnson: Hello, i am travelling in Europe for several months later this year and I am concerned that my data roaming will be cut off after two months is that correct?
    Pramila:
    Hello IAN!

ian Johnson: Hello
    Pramila:
    Yes if you are out of the country for more than two months then it will be cut off

Pramila:
    In that case you can take a PAy as you go number

Pramila:
    And you can use that sim card in Europe and it will be valid for 180 days

ian Johnson: Could I not just purchase extra data?
    Pramila:
    Yes of course you can take the extra data

Pramila:
    I would be glad to assist you

Pramila:
    Let me check your account

ian Johnson: what does that cost please
    Pramila:
    There are several data options
    Extra 1 GB data for £6
    Extra 2 GB data for £10

Pramila:
    Extra 15 GB data for £20

ian Johnson: So for example in the third month I could just purchase 15GB and my data would start to work again?
    ian Johnson: Are we still connected?
    Pramila:
    ALlow me a moment

Pramila:
    I am connected with you

ian Johnson: ok
    Pramila:
    Ian, I would like to inform you that you can use your services in outer countries for more than 2 months.

Pramila:
    Till then it will be free and after that it will charge you as per standard charges

ian Johnson: OK so does that mean that my data will not be cut off after two months?
    Pramila:
    Yes it will not got cut off

Pramila:
    It will charge you as per the standard charges

ian Johnson: So just to confirm, If I use data for more than two months in Europe I will not need to purchase more data and the data roaming service will work as normal, is that correct please
    Pramila:
    Yes you are correct Ian

Pramila:
    Thanks for understanding

ian Johnson: So no extra charges for more than two months, just my usual monthly payment and I can use all of my data allowance each month?
    Pramila:
    Yes you are correct

ian Johnson: Thats great thank you
    Pramila:
    As Europe is Roam Free destinations

Pramila:
    Is there anything else I can help you with today?

I have read through this several times and I come to the conclusion that on a monthly contract which renews each month, if one uses all of the data allowance in a month then to continue using data one would either accept being charged at the standard rate, or preferably purchase an extra data package to be used in that month. Indeed that's what I had to do last year when I ran out of data. Then when the next monthly period started data (and calls & text) were reset to zero and Carried on using the service as normal.

I was not away for over the two months but I don't see how data would be cut off if I was while at the same time allowing continued use of calls and text, particularly since under the contract the paid for in advance.

I was back in the UK for two months then went back to Germany for another two months and everything worked perfectly.

Vodafone will send a text telling you that your monthly data allowance is about to run out and giv the option to buy more, thats what they did with me but I haven't hear of anyone being told they cannot purchase more data because they have been in the EU for more than two months.

So there it is, for what it's worth. I recommend an internet chat for anyone going away for more than two months, it would be interesting to see what reply they get.