Free Member
Oct 30, 2016
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
1 year
My Motorhome WiFi 4G roof aerial linked to a Huawei B315 router performs fantastically well.

My experience:

Three phone sim only: I was lucky enough to get an early sim with unlimited data. UK coverage very good in urban areas - tethering limit - EU - they seem to only provide 3G (12Gb pM) and no tethering.

EE data sim only: UK excellent 4G - EU - I get good 4G where Three are giving 3G. Same data as UK and tethering ok

Voda data sim: Terriblly patchy in UK eg OXFORD CCC - very poor. EU - excellent as 4G readily available with same allowance as UK.

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
I use "3" 30gb per month (12gb per month abroad) no problems tethering just set your phone as "hotspot", used it for 2 months abroad , France and Spain and no problems using the laptop through the phone

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
We've both been with "3" for about then years. Our internet (Sky) was diabolical & as we had unlimited downloads at the time, we used the connection to tether with as our sole internet source & had no problems at all.
Sky finally got their finger out with the internet so we moved back with them.
Our current "3" deal has limited downloads but we still use the tethering feature when away in the motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tom2023

Free Member
Mar 20, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
With the Vodafone data only SIMs you can use your full allowance abroad, they allow tethering but you can only use it abroad for 2 months in every 4 month period.

No idea what happens when you reach your 2 month limit.

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
Thanks for this thread - Just upgraded my 3 package. From 600 minutes call time to a 'all you can eat call minutes' and from 1gb to 4gb data all for the same £10 per month. :cheers::clap2:
Going to do the same but couldn't get through to them a couple of days before Christmas . will try at the end of the week. Touch wood , in Scotland granted , never not been able to stream video.
John

JaveaSteve

Free Member
Nov 8, 2017
Javea, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium T70GE
Having followed this post, thought best to advise those interested, if any, have just this minute bought a Three 3 12gb sim valid for 12 months for €21.44 from Amazon.es for delivery to Spanish address, that's almost half the price from Three.co.uk (£40) and a third cheaper than from Amazon.co.uk (£33.99) who would not deliver to Spain. Thank you all for your recommendations.

Tom2023

Free Member
Mar 20, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
Just spoke to vodafone about their 2 month foreign use in 4 month limit.

Your 2 months start the day you first use the SIM abroad.They will contact you when your 2 months is up so you can make a decision to stop using the SIM or use incurring charges.

They did advise me to get a rolling 30 day contract and cancel it after a month.

I think vodafone are way better value than 3 UK at the moment.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Going to do the same but couldn't get through to them a couple of days before Christmas . will try at the end of the week. Touch wood , in Scotland granted , never not been able to stream video.
John
@kelpie Do you have a link for the above? I 've tried and failed to find that deal which I would find useful.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
There does seem to be some confusion. I had chat with a nice lady yesterday and after first telling me I could only use roaming data for two months, after which I had the option to purchase more or be charged at the standard rate or go PAYG, she went on to tell me I could use my data without restriction and it would not be cut off after two months and to would not cost more. I assume this is because a monthly contract renews every month. Anyway I attach a transcript which might be of interest to those on extended trips. It might be worth having an internet chat to see if you get the same answer, at least then you have it in writing.

"Info: Thank you for choosing to chat with us. An agent will be with you shortly.
Info: You're now chatting with Pramila.
Info:
ian Johnson: Hello, i am travelling in Europe for several months later this year and I am concerned that my data roaming will be cut off after two months is that correct?
Pramila:
Hello IAN!

ian Johnson: Hello
Pramila:
Yes if you are out of the country for more than two months then it will be cut off

Pramila:
In that case you can take a PAy as you go number

Pramila:
And you can use that sim card in Europe and it will be valid for 180 days

ian Johnson: Could I not just purchase extra data?
Pramila:
Yes of course you can take the extra data

Pramila:
I would be glad to assist you

Pramila:
Let me check your account

ian Johnson: what does that cost please
Pramila:
There are several data options
Extra 1 GB data for £6
Extra 2 GB data for £10

Pramila:
Extra 15 GB data for £20

ian Johnson: So for example in the third month I could just purchase 15GB and my data would start to work again?
ian Johnson: Are we still connected?
Pramila:
ALlow me a moment

Pramila:
I am connected with you

ian Johnson: ok
Pramila:
Ian, I would like to inform you that you can use your services in outer countries for more than 2 months.

Pramila:
Till then it will be free and after that it will charge you as per standard charges

ian Johnson: OK so does that mean that my data will not be cut off after two months?
Pramila:
Yes it will not got cut off

Pramila:
It will charge you as per the standard charges

ian Johnson: So just to confirm, If I use data for more than two months in Europe I will not need to purchase more data and the data roaming service will work as normal, is that correct please
Pramila:
Yes you are correct Ian

Pramila:
Thanks for understanding

ian Johnson: So no extra charges for more than two months, just my usual monthly payment and I can use all of my data allowance each month?
Pramila:
Yes you are correct

ian Johnson: Thats great thank you
Pramila:
As Europe is Roam Free destinations

Pramila:
Is there anything else I can help you with today?

I have read through this several times and I come to the conclusion that on a monthly contract which renews each month, if one uses all of the data allowance in a month then to continue using data one would either accept being charged at the standard rate, or preferably purchase an extra data package to be used in that month. Indeed that's what I had to do last year when I ran out of data. Then when the next monthly period started data (and calls & text) were reset to zero and Carried on using the service as normal.

I was not away for over the two months but I don't see how data would be cut off if I was while at the same time allowing continued use of calls and text, particularly since under the contract the paid for in advance.

I was back in the UK for two months then went back to Germany for another two months and everything worked perfectly.

Vodafone will send a text telling you that your monthly data allowance is about to run out and giv the option to buy more, thats what they did with me but I haven't hear of anyone being told they cannot purchase more data because they have been in the EU for more than two months.

So there it is, for what it's worth. I recommend an internet chat for anyone going away for more than two months, it would be interesting to see what reply they get.

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
When talking to EE yesterday the 15gb limit usage in the eu was mentioned and also the 60 days limit which I wasn't aware of.
In practice are these rigidly enforced if it is not something you do regularly.

ps. Sorry after reading the thread properly I see these questions have been commented on.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
My existing mobile contract with vodaphone is now up for renewal, currently have unlimited calls and text with 10gb of data. Own the phone so looking for a sim only deal.
Three seem to offer the best data deals, 30gb data for £18 or 100gb data for£25. Vodaphone best price is 20gb for £20, not too bad.
As we live in Scotland, travel in uk and europe, can anyone give first hand experience of the 3 network for reception, download etc, comparator sites seem to say all ok?
All advice welcome!!

thanks
Bill
Why do you want so much more data no point paying every month for something you don't need? I pay about £3 a month on 3 payg!!!!!

Just seen the date on the post .......DOH

OP
OP
BillandHelen

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
To make it worse, both Helen and myself now have 45gb each of data a month, live streaming and Spotify helps you get through your allowance!!
Guess horses for courses!
Bill

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
When talking to EE yesterday the 15gb limit usage in the eu was mentioned and also the 60 days limit which I wasn't aware of.

ps. Sorry after reading the thread properly I see these questions have been commented on.

I know plusnet don't enforce the time limit strictly, and they use the EE network.

I know Three enforce the time limit... They barred me :cry:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Don't forget everything may potentially all be back up in the air again if there is a no-deal Brexit. The Govt snuck through a bit of legislation the other week which allows operators to raise roaming charges. The industry claimed their costs may rise if the EU based operators raised their charges as they would be free to do in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

Of course competition between the UK operators should limit the increases, if any and the Govt plans to put a cap on increases, but the point is the situation is no longer as clear cut as it was say last year when the message was roaming charges would not return. They may. Who is then the best operator may change.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45064268

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back