Where would you go in the winter (UK only)? (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We used to get a long break from work over the Christmas period when it shut down so could eek it out to 2 weeks if we wanted by adding an odd extra day's holiday. We went to Southport a couple of times and also to London twice, the latter mainly because there's something to do if the weather's a bit iffy.

Until we started going abroad over the last 2 winters for a couple of months we hadn't been away over winter at all for a long time as doing so in the UK isn't great as I feel the cold badly and having to sit in a MH most of the time because it's too cold to go out isn't my idea of fun.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We used to get a long break from work over the Christmas period when it shut down so could eek it out to 2 weeks if we wanted by adding an odd extra day's holiday. We went to Southport a couple of times and also to London twice, the latter mainly because there's something to do if the weather's a bit iffy.

Until we started going abroad over the last 2 winters for a couple of months we hadn't been away over winter at all for a long time as doing so in the UK isn't great as I feel the cold badly and having to sit in a MH most of the time because it's too cold to go out isn't my idea of fun.

Awe Man! me and thee both! just hate the cold! Spend winter rugged up like the Michilin Man!

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Wouldnā€™t venture to Cornwall. Itā€™s permanently wet and windy there. Somewhere in the centre of the country away from the coastal wind and rain would be good.

Griffithii

Free Member
Oct 12, 2017
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 638EB
Exp
Two years, 5,000 miles, less than 100 nights
Exmoors lovely once the pubs are open so you don't have to sit in the van all night.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Wouldnā€™t venture to Cornwall. Itā€™s permanently wet and windy there. Somewhere in the centre of the country away from the coastal wind and rain would be good.
Don't discount sitting on a clifftop in a nice warm van watching the waves roll in on the beach blow during a storm. The sheer power and beauty of nature

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I'd forgotten about London. We did London a few years running, in the winter. We stayed here
and got the tube into London.

We did a few things that we'd always wanted to do, including eating at Le Gavroche, seeing The Waterboys at The Roundhouse, going for afternoon tea in Harrods, seeing War of the Worlds at the O2 arena, visiting the Winter Wonderland at Hyde Park and shopping for the grandchildren at Hamleys. There's always something to do in London.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Winters are mild but wet here in Eastbourne. Snow is very rare. There are some sites on the Pevensey bay road. Dont know if they are all year, CMC site at Brighton is all year.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I'm going to stay home in France this coming winter, we normally have 3 months in Spain, based largely on good quality campsites. However this coming winter I'm not keen on sharing facilities with hundreds of others, or wilding around the Costa Del Sol where the welcome might be dubious.

This year in January I was parked on a beach head miles from nowhere on the Costa Azahar and got shot at by an airgun at about 2am and again 40 minutes later, had go and hide on a housing estate near town to get some sleep.

But it's Brittany this year for me, quiet and safe, mild but some rain. About 5 degrees warmer than the UK normally, never had a frost here in 17 years.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Would not recommend Sutton on Sea, to many miserable auld motorhomers live here, winter here is usually not to bad, a wee bit breezy, especially a North Easterly, but we do escape most of the bad weather

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Augusta08 where about did you get shot at on the Costa Azahar

Alcossebre about a mile up the road from Playa Tropicana. I was booked on site for 62 nights but arrived a day or two early. Didn't fancy paying 30 euros a night parked on the pebbles.

JonHG

Free Member
Oct 30, 2019
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 540
Exp
Since 2008
South? I would pack my thermals and head north to try and see the Northern Lights!

Old enough to know better, young enough to still do it.

Nov 22, 2011
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
PVC WildAx
Exp
Since 2007
If you like woodland and beaches close by try Setthorns in the New Forest. Run by CCC. Very basic but nice chunky hook up for winter. Inland I'd select .Moreton in Marsh, Cotswolds. Run by C&M Club. Cosy heated washrooms. Fingers crossed they're open by then. Lovely market town on foot and super walks. Buses to exciting places stop outside the site.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I agree M in M is smashing and in a lovely picturesque location, but struggling to fathom where around the area I'd describe as exciting ?

Nov 22, 2011
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
PVC WildAx
Exp
Since 2007
I'm easily pleased. Stratford upon Avon. Oxford Batsford Arboritum, walkable and do epic Sunday roast. Of course might be a bit restricted on 'inside venues' even come winter.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Last year from Christmas Day night onwards we had 4 nights on a site in the Lake District, this year we've got 4 nights from Boxing Day on a site in Wales.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Alcossebre about a mile up the road from Playa Tropicana. I was booked on site for 62 nights but arrived a day or two early. Didn't fancy paying 30 euros a night parked on the pebbles.

I've heard about someone else getting shot at there. We've wild camped there, several times but I think we'll give it a miss in future.

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
My vote goes to the Rugby club a bit further up.
A lot cheaper šŸ˜Š

They do have a couple of basic showers.
Water and dump station available šŸ˜Š
They have a decent pitch too from memory. Played one, won one on there. Lovely town too, if a trifle pretentious.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back