Where to stay in the New Forest (1 Viewer)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
@Popeye
Must be me.....not keen on Setthorns although I know loads of folk love it and saying that we have only ever driven round once (asked the wardens nicely). It's too closed in for me. We have parked up & walked round there & Wilverley Inclosure many times. Perhaps we should try a night there.:)

We like Roundhill, would love to try Aldridge Hill but it's only open about 2/3 months. Have been more times than I care to remember to Black Knowl & have been using Long Meadows lately which is better placed imo (next to the showground)......where they have rallies......Griff...nod, nod, wink, wink:wink: :*pretty please.

There's also a couple of britstops, tried one, intend to try the other sometime.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
image.jpg
image.jpg
Thanks for the promotion Popeye, but we were assistants not managers :)

We did work there for three seasons though and I think it's a lovely site overall.

Pros: easy walking distance of two pubs, cafe, railway stationand coop. Lots of nice out of the way pitches and tends not to have as many of the rowdy campers some of the bigger sites seem to attract.

Cons: can get very wet/ boggy, some road/ rail noise (depending on where you pitch), Managers adhere to rules strictly (not a con in my opinion but some people seem to think it is).

For an out of the way site I love Setthorns but don't rely on getting a Phone/ TV/ Sat signal there.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
At Setthorns just now, given doggy envelope by wardens to warn about Alabama rot, doggy biscuits, vets addresses and dog friendly pubs thought it was a nice touch. Tv and wifi working fine.
WiFi at Setthorns??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
New Forest Caravan Club Centenary Site, Bransgore (in my opinion more Holmsley than Bransgore)
Could be due to the fact that it's next door to Holmsley fc site?;) :LOL:. Quite like Holmsley....never been on the cc one ther but remember the commercial one that was there beforehand:D

.....& yes I would class that as the forest, it's easy enough to drive & park up for the day somewhere:)

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Forgot to mention Ashurst is a dog free site.

Although Denny Wood is also dog free, Matley Wood across the road allows dogs and is one of the cheaper Camping in the Forest sites as it just has water/ empty point, no other services.

OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Thanks for the promotion Popeye, but we were assistants not managers

Thanks Ven, don't thank me for the promotion I'm sure you deserved it.

Has your Dad @Les finished house training my dog yet? Just askin' like:Eeek:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Could be due to the fact that it's next door to Holmsley fc site?;) :LOL:. Quite like Holmsley....never been on the cc one ther but remember the commercial one that was there beforehand:D

.....& yes I would class that as the forest, it's easy enough to drive & park up for the day somewhere:)
Could be if I knew what Holmsley fc site was or it could be because its next to Holmsley airfield. ;)
upload_2016-5-18_14-12-51.png

OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I can recommend a beauty - fully serviced with cake and wine/beer/tea/ coffee/lovely hostess (host could be a bit 'ornery at times) and PYO plants included as well! ;)

Oh and another one wanting to join the Cheeky Mares Club.

IMG_1373_800x598.JPG

OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I noticed that @Zigisla photoshopped his Marksman-mate out of his new Forest Deer piccie

Roundhill.jpg

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
No I just zoomed out enough in Google Earth to show Beaulieu and the little site I found in Fordingbridge yesterday, but it's close enough to qualify.
You see we drove round a nice little site the other day at Hurst View with direct path to the waters edge.
http://www.hurstviewleisure.co.uk/ I think @MichelleRyall might have stayed there recently so might be able to review?

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Setthorns,
stay here many times also over a couple xmas's, now wife wont go anymore because of @Popeye (only joking) she's really more worried about alabama rot ( that's re the dog not her ! )

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Could be if I knew what Holmsley fc site was or it could be because its next to Holmsley airfield. ;)View attachment 106540
....fc=forestry commission ....or suppose I'm just showing my age there as it's been Camping in the Forest for yonks.....but yes, it's on an airfiled, same as Roundhill:D

@Popeye @cliffandger ......whatcha doing in that pic? Having a tree planting ceremony to commemorate your stay?????:LOL:
:LOL::LOL:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
....fc=forestry commission ....or suppose I'm just showing my age there as it's been Camping in the Forest for yonks.....but yes, it's on an airfiled, same as Roundhill:D

@Popeye @cliffandger ......whatcha doing in that pic? Having a tree planting ceremony to commemorate your stay?????:LOL:
:LOL::LOL:
Mike insists on calling Ocknell Campsite - Fritham after the airfield.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
There's Hollands Wood camping in the forest too - opposite Long Meadow but it is closer to the road. Huge site but lots of pockets to tuck away into. Wouldn't like to be here or Roundhill in school hols but nice walks/cycling.

The problem is the New Forest is now really popular - gone are the days when you could walk or cycle all day & not see another soul, bit like the Peak District I suppose.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hurst View was lovely. It's near Lymington and a comfortable walk into the town ( Saturday market ) their is a lovely coastal walk to Keyhaven (The Gun Inn pub) . The site has hookup or not depends on your requirements. They allow fires in the large field and sell wood for that purpose. We have stayed twice now and really enjoyed it.

OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Mike insists on calling Ocknell Campsite - Fritham after the airfield.

....and of course Fritham Pond which is near where I live

@Popeye Is the one marked near the Bolderwood pin Longbeech?
Also you could include Toms Field http://tomsfield.com/

Yes it is Longbeech, I still don't know why my brother calls it Bolderwood.

I have only seen vans at Tom's field at week ends I used to ride (Horses) down to the "Fighting Cocks" pub at the week-ends when I was a Little younger than now or should I say 35 years ago.

There is another site at Gorse Farm close by as well, never been there though.

Pros: easy walking distance of two pubs, cafe, railway station and co-op. Lots of nice out of the way pitches and tends not to have as many of the rowdy campers some of the bigger sites seem to attract.

No good for the Average Fun Meet then, not unless we banned @ukbill and @old-mo @Silkcut1105 @Daz n Tina , @Tootles @swanseajack13 and all the other Ner do Wells:wink:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I bet there are more to add, but I'll keep updating it when I discover more, thank you all for your input and patience.

Overview3.JPG

Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Stayed at a couple of Britstops last Weekend one in Burley and Lindhurst good stops great walks for me and the dog also 1 one night at Holmsley £14 for a night to have a look round as we are thinking of taking our son and his family away in the 6 weeks holiday which Holmsley quoted £52 a night with electric! for 4 adults and 2 young children.

OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
£52 a night with electric! for 4 adults and 2 young children.

That sounded a bit rich so I had a look and it seems about right.
The same pitch for me without EHU and in the low season would be 15.95.

The high season 21.80 without EHU, even that sounds reasonable, I guess I'm not used to paying for 2 more adults and 2 sprogs.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Some great suggestions on this thread
Are some of these sites open all year round? sounds like it's a busy place to visit over the summer months.
Are there any rallies/ meets that happen in the New Forest? Sounds like an ideal spot

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back