Where can we hire left-hand drive motorhomes in the U.K.? (1 Viewer)

New2This

Free Member
Dec 14, 2017
Funster No
Mr H and I would like to do a tour of vineyards and olive oil groves in the South of France next summer. We're intending to hire a motorhome to give us flexibility and of course the capacity to bring back plenty of bottles! We know we can hire a motorhome in France, but we'd prefer to hire a left-hand drive in the U.K. and take it over (we're both experienced left-hand vehicle drivers).
Does anyone know of where we can hire one in the U.K.? I've tried several places without success and online. We're based in North Yorkshire.

Mrs.H

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Think you will be hard pressed to find a UK hire that does a left hooker.. :shake::shake:

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Can't help with hire companies your way,but depending on length of time you expect to be away could be a bit of an expensive trip with hire cost.
Good luck with you endeavours and travels

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Also can't help with the 'van (and, as an aside, you don't need a left hooker to drive in France. Your overtaking opportunities are far less in a motorhome and you are high enough in the cab to make a RHD nearly as good)

What I was going to suggest, however, is that if you do get the trip planned, have a go at "France Passion"???
Nothing to do with amorous escapades but a system of motorhome stops in exactly the kind of places you wish to seek out, vinyards, olive groves etc, and, don't tell anyone but the night halts are free, shhhhh!

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
These guys have lefthand drive motorhomes in the hire fleet and their really nice people to deal with.
A friend of ours has hired lefthand drive from them a few time to tow his race car to European race meetings.

Not on your doorstep but you could maybe pick one up on your way down south leave your car there and pick it up an the way back.

https://www.hireahymer.com/

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Ikonic campers Yorkshire were going to start hiring vans, and he imports hymer so might have a left hooker to rent.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Mr H and I would like to do a tour of vineyards and olive oil groves in the South of France next summer. We're intending to hire a motorhome to give us flexibility and of course the capacity to bring back plenty of bottles! We know we can hire a motorhome in France, but we'd prefer to hire a left-hand drive in the U.K. and take it over (we're both experienced left-hand vehicle drivers).
Does anyone know of where we can hire one in the U.K.? I've tried several places without success and online. We're based in North Yorkshire.

Mrs.H
Depending how long you are going for , you may find it cheaper to buy a good used one, and either keep it or sell it on when you come back , and although you are experienced left hookers , a right handed vehicle is hardly any detriment if there are two of you to keep a lookout at sharp junctions.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As Lenny says, I think most hire vehicles will only be rated at 3500kg because on license restrictions. So they wont have a lot of payload available. A litre of wine is a kilo in weight (so i am told but never weighed it).
Dont be put off by a RHD to use on the continent, I prefer it that way...

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
As you are planning on bringing back loads of wine make sure you hire one with plenty of payload.
This is a very valid point.

Many vans - mostly plated at 3,500kg in a hire fleet - will likely have very little spare weight capacity. And cases of booze are not lightweight! :(

Just to add, you shouldn't have any problem with a right-hand drive van. We travel all over the continent in one, and have done without stress for years.

Have a great trip. (y)

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Justgo motorhome hire, close to the M1 near Flitwick are a major motorhome hire company. Call them on 01525 878000 to ask what vehicles they have.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
As Lenny says, I think most hire vehicles will only be rated at 3500kg because on license restrictions. So they wont have a lot of payload available. A litre of wine is a kilo in weight (so i am told but never weighed it).
A 70cl bottle is over 1.2 kg. Of course lighter by the 5 litre box which is how we buy it :giggler:

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
A bottle of wine is near enough a kilo as well due to the weight of the glass so watch the wieght!! Just seen the above you must buy posher wine than us in thicker bottles!!.....just wiehed a few the average is about 1.2 about 1 for the cheap stuff from majestic. I wouldn't bother too much about RHD we never hire adifferent car if we go to France and did 3k miles in our uk m/h this year in France it helps that the roads are so much quieter. If you decide to not bother with france passion you can often find vineyards to stay at free if you ask at the local tourist info or use "search for sites" or try the french motorhome aires often cheap or free. Do be aware it could be a very expensive trip both for the motorhome hire and the fact you will probably end up buying one when you find out how much fun it is especially in France

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back