What Tools and other bits to take? (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi guys been trying to decide what tools to take in our new PVC, unlike the RV which has had me loading it up over 15 years and now has enough to function as a garage I want to carry just enough for minor repairs, to that end I have allowed myself a small tool box and the tray under the drivers seat, so what to take?
Already in the box assortment of screwdrivers, pliers, side cutter, long nose pliers, hammer, lump hammer.
Adding: two small adjustables, mole grips, small socket set, Multimeter,
Other bits: Gaffer tape, electrical tape, scotchloks, assortment of fuses, few metres of wire, set of bulbs for the van.

What else would any of you recommend?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
This is all I carry, Ian....... (y)

1597772643819.png

And this...

1597772835592.png
....................(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Binding wire, a tin of gum-gum and an empty tin can for exhaust repairs. Mind you, exhaust systems seem to last a lot longer these days. Don't know if it's still the case but replacement exhaust systems for RHD vehicles were difficult to source in mainland Europe.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Assortment of small screws for when things might come loose.
And for the spectacle wearers one of those little screw driver sets you get in Christmas crackers really handy for tightening those loose arms.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Gaffer tape, cable ties, multimeter, multi tool, couple of screwdriverS flat and Phillips and Breakdown membership.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Take several H4 and H5 hex bits. You'll lose the first ones and need the second ones. Oh and replace the ridiculous supplied wheel brace with a decent 600mm+ breaker bar and a 19mm socket and make sure they work for you before you leave.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Take several H4 and H5 hex bits. You'll lose the first ones and need the second ones. Oh and replace the ridiculous supplied wheel brace with a decent 600mm+ breaker bar and a 19mm socket and make sure they work for you before you leave.

Unless theirs a secret hiding place I don't have a spare, so no point in worrying about a wheel brace, tyre company can sort that.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Unless theirs a secret hiding place I don't have a spare, so no point in worrying about a wheel brace, tyre company can sort that.

I also didn't have a spare. But then I had a screw into my tyre on a Sunday in Devon. Only KwikFit open and they couldn't work out how to change the tyre. Apparently it has some sort of retention band. Luckily, the screw held out the several hundred miles back home. I now have a spare wheel. I just need to work out how to mount it, as the original mounting conflicts slightly with the LPG tank.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Just another thought, if you maintain your MoHo, there is probably very little that 'should' go wrong therefore you need a minimalist tool kit

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Gaffer tape, Errr, Gaffer Tape, and Cable ties. And a roll of self Amalgamating Tape, for Emergency water repairs, other than that A recovery contract. (y)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Gaffer tape, Errr, Gaffer Tape, and Cable ties. And a roll of self Amalgamating Tape, for Emergency water repairs, other than that A recovery contract. (y)
:nod: yes Gaffer Tape :nod: cant disagree with self amalgamating tape though, along with a recover contract....we all have our limits we just have to acknowledge them ;)(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Also worth carrying a couple of cam lock straps, on our first van on our first trip I ripped the bottom off the gas locker in Slovenia. Held it together with cam lock straps & Gaffa tape, it held until we got back to the UK.

Another vote for self-amalgamating tape used it last year to hold my waste pipe together after catching it on a high curb.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
12v cordless drill?

I have a12v DeWalt drill in which the battery has died.

Has anyone converted one to run off a cigarette socket?

I have a long length of ciggie wire to use.

Cheers James

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
12v cordless drill?

I have a12v DeWalt drill in which the battery has died.

Has anyone converted one to run off a cigarette socket?

I have a long length of ciggie wire to use.

Cheers James
I think you'll find that the drill's current requirement will exceed the capability of a cig lighter socket, its wiring or fuse. On start-up with no load it will draw around 3 amps which will rise to 6 or 7 amps under load and up to 10 amps if the motor stalls when/if the drill bit jams in use.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back