What is it with merging traffic? (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
I drive my motorhome very defensively, you have to really, although you can of course use your size sometimes.
However , where I find quite a problem is with merging traffic when I am on a motorway or major road.
I'm going , like most of us, relatively slowly, 60-65mph but vehicles merging seem to think I am not the one with right of way being on the major carriageway.
I quite often have to speed up or brake because a car insists on merging right in front of me.

I wonder if all lane 1 travelers suffer this, truckers included?

Is it only me or do you suffer similarly?

(Note , of course in a car you just move over to lane 2 etc. and there does not seem to be a problem)

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
It is the responsibility of joining traffic to match their speed and pull off the onslip when safe. If it is safe I pull over to allow traffic to join, but it is not always possible, for example if there is already a vehicle in the next lane out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It is the responsibility of joining traffic to match their speed and pull off the onslip when safe. If it is safe I pull over to allow traffic to join, but it is not always possible, for example if there is already a vehicle in the next lane out.
Agreed, but I've seen drivers stopped at the end of the slip with right indicator on because they didn't have a clue how to join a motorway.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Agreed, but I've seen drivers stopped at the end of the slip with right indicator on because they didn't have a clue how to join a motorway.
They don't force their way out in Spain,,vehicles on main carriageway do not alter their speed it's up to the traffic on the slip road to either slow which they usually do or accelerate.In my opinion although alien to us in the UK it is much safer.How many accidents are caused by motorists in the inside lane not concentrating and pulling out into the middle lane without checking their mirrors..BUSBY.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Many years ago I was driving into London on M4 when a car tried to force its way onto carriageway from the service area, unfortunately for them a police patrol car was behind him, they pulled him over and he was done for dangerous driving, I was a cop going on duty, although the patrol car crew did not know this at the time

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
This happens all the time in front of the lorry as well. I honestly don't think they actually look.

I do try and pull into the 2nd lane but its not always available, and frequently when I do the car will sit in the blind spot until we come up to slower traffic at which point they will frequently cut across the front.

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
I understand the suggestion to move to lane 2 , however in a motorhome the speed difference is often too high to enable you to move over without causing a problem.

My experience in Europe is limited so far to a month in France and Spain. I don't recall any real problems. It seems to me more of a problem in the UK ?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Thats why you have very loud horns on Rvs and trucks , its not always possible to move a large vehicle across into next lane , I do if safe but otherwise before it reaches a critical position a sounding of the air horn (think train) reinforces the fact that I am occupying the piece of road they are aiming for , and they need to do something to save themselves :) Typically what was once a courtesy has now become expected , and is leading to grief , more frequently .

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
My experience in Europe is limited so far to a month in France and Spain. I don't recall any real problems. It seems to me more of a problem in the UK ?

Exactly right - the biggest problem is traffic density, Spain and France are each just over twice the size of the UK. Both have extensive road networks and we have the M25.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Thats why you have very loud horns on Rvs and trucks , its not always possible to move a large vehicle across into next lane , I do if safe but otherwise before it reaches a critical position a sounding of the horn reinforces the fact that I am occupying the piece of road they are aiming for , and they need to do something to save themselves :) Typically what was once a courtesy has now become expected , and is leading to grief , more frequently .

Of course I do sound the Airhorns and they are very loud, doesn't make any difference they still keep coming. Its got so bad that as I'm sounding the horn I'm more often than not already starting to brake.

There have been numerous incidents like the one shown on the video, the worst i saw was when a Clio was stuck under the front of a stobarts lorry for about half a mile.

here s a good one

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/20...p1brgoVZ4dJSG2mgD4MqzzaAzab24nXcBRbpRMl7il7IA

Note the dashcam is on the front of the dash with a better view than the driver.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Driving in Auckland. NZ a few years ago , signs on their short stretches of motorway urged you all to “merge like a zip” Meaning everybody leaves space in front of them, so traffic merges smoothly and the overall flow speed remains constant.
Useful advice for UK drivers

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I was at the receiving end of a very irrate hooting lorry driver behind me today as I came out of a fuel station heading South on the A1. We had only picked up our new IH630RD yesterday so decided to fuel up before the long drive home to Dorset. Neither of us has driven a Comformatic/Automatic before , it was pouring with rain and for a split second it looked like a junction to join the A1 direct. I paused for a split second before I clicked it was a junction onto a very short slip road onto the A1. I suppose he wasn’t to know I’d only driven 13 miles but it doesn’t exactly help matters with trucks thundering past!

Fortunately I’m not a nervous driver.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I understand the suggestion to move to lane 2 , however in a motorhome the speed difference is often too high to enable you to move over without causing a problem.

you are lucky not to have a problem ,I think In France the joining traffic has the right of way

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I nearly had that situation on M6 going north in a Daf artic , there was nothing in any mirrors or in front but side proximity alarm went off , so I jumped on the brake just as the car popped into view in front . They had been in the n/s merge when I approached the junction and had come across into the first merge lane .
Some seem to lack a self preservation gene :)

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
Hi,
Jake Royce, you have not had the experience on a dual carriageway in France where a car, van or truck suddenly joins from your RHS at unabated speed and you have to swerve left or hit the “ anchors”.
When this first happened to us I though what the f—— flipping heck ! I was going to overtake and show my appreciation by pulling over when half way by, but , a thought went through my mind , what was that sign I saw just before the joining road, I wonder ,
Later when parked up in an aire I had a look at French road signs, I think the sign had an X on it.
Now I know that in some towns on some junctions there are rights of way when joining, As we have often toured with motor cycle or scooters either in the garage or on a trailer it is something we have been aware of when actually on two wheels and are more vunerable.

BernieT ( dipsie )

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I was at the receiving end of a very irrate hooting lorry driver behind me today as I came out of a fuel station heading South on the A1. We had only picked up our new IH630RD yesterday so decided to fuel up before the long drive home to Dorset. Neither of us has driven a Comformatic/Automatic before , it was pouring with rain and for a split second it looked like a junction to join the A1 direct. I paused for a split second before I clicked it was a junction onto a very short slip road onto the A1. I suppose he wasn’t to know I’d only driven 13 miles but it doesn’t exactly help matters with trucks thundering past!

Fortunately I’m not a nervous driver.

Indeed it can be very scary for all concerned, The Lorry Driver may well have been cross but using the horn correctly to alert you to give you chance to alter course. It would be very messy if one hit you as the lorry's total weight can be as much as 12 times the weight of your MH.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Think it's because as a nation we are polite and when years ago traffic on motorways was light it was easy to pull out to allow drivers on the slip road to filter on and it has just become the norm but now with the volumn of traffic this practice is dangerous.BUSBY.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
you are lucky not to have a problem ,I think In France the joining traffic has the right of way

Oh no it doesn't! Rule is the same. The only difference is that when a French driver switches on his indicators, he's already chosen his spot AND IS COMING OUT. But as long as you don't make any attempt to accelerate 99% of the time the manoeuvre is successful without any drama. In thousands of kilometers on the continent I've seen it done countless times and it is accepted as normal. I was forever telling rookie coach drivers (I always seemed to get them as co-driver) to "cool it", accept it and get on with it!

What you are thinking of is the "Give way to traffic on the right emerging from side roads - mostly dropped now although a few towns still use it, but if you see the yellow diamond with a red crossing out, look out for side roads. But I don't think I've ever seen it on a dual carriageway dipsie, like everywhere you still get the arrogant b-----ds!

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
The merging traffic should adjust their speed accordingly. Like a chain going around a cog. If on a slip road joining a motorway you should assess the speed of the rolling traffic, and either speed up or ease off to intermingle.
Some knob heads think the end of a slip road has a 'give way' sign at the end, it doesn't!
Take Spain, for example, a joining vehicle will no doubt speed up and be well ahead of you, or slow down if he is at the side of you, to join safely.

Craig

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Driving in Auckland. NZ a few years ago , signs on their short stretches of motorway urged you all to “merge like a zip” Meaning everybody leaves space in front of them, so traffic merges smoothly and the overall flow speed remains constant.
Useful advice for UK drivers

I remember this being used when 2 lanes of the same carriageway merged, not when joining a motorway - not that NZ has many.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
They don't force their way out in Spain,,vehicles on main carriageway do not alter their speed it's up to the traffic on the slip road to either slow which they usually do or accelerate.In my opinion although alien to us in the UK it is much safer.How many accidents are caused by motorists in the inside lane not concentrating and pulling out into the middle lane without checking their mirrors..BUSBY.

I wish someone would tell drivers in Devon that this is the way to drive. Driving standards are so bad, they’re only beaten by Cyprus in my experience. I can be trapped in lane one by overtaking traffic and still cars will shoot out in front of me from slip roads. The A30 at Honito. And the A380 to Torbay particularly bad.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
not really alien to us in the UK as thr Highway Code does instruct drivers joining a motorway to “adjust their speed to that of the traffic already on the motorway.

hopefully those instructors and learner drivers taking advantage of the changes allowing learners onto motorways will have the opportunity to learn this procedure

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It is not only motorhomes who suffer. Earlier this week I was on the A11 on the bike..
A post office van decided he had the right of way at the Attleborough junction
The road was pretty busy and there was no room to pull in to the outside lane with even a reduced safety margin
To rub salt in to the wound when I over took about a mile further on he flipped me the finger !

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
TerryL. You say Oh no it doesn't! Rule is the same. Then you say What you are thinking of is the "Give way to traffic on the right emerging from side roads which is what I thought I said

the fact this mostly only happens in small towns doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen

certainly happed a few times to me

Found this

But in France, if a car comes out to your right, you need to give way to them! The car that is on your right will not even think twice and just drive straight out because THEY have right of way (= la priorité). Fortunately this mostly only happens in small towns

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018
West Wiltshire
Funster No
Exp
Long time
Had a woman once drive into the front corner of my truck from a slip road, when exchanging details she asked if I saw that she wanted to pull out ! I just replied with didn't she see the lines and know what they meant !
Then the other day as brother was going down M3 in a coach he couldn't pull over to lane 2 or move and the car on slip road tooted at him etc, then when it pulled out behind him it raced passed and cut in front while braking hard, lucky brother was not carrying passengers as he had to bake rather swiftly.
Police have camera footage and see what they do.
Driving is getting worse, people seem to be in too much of a rush, but that is the way this country is going at the moment.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
I remember this being used when 2 lanes of the same carriageway merged, not when joining a motorway - not that NZ has many.
Ah , you may be right , few years ago.
NZ does not have many duel carrigeways for sure.
Still the idea of merging like a zip from 2 lanes down to 1 does keep traffic moving . Unlike or habits of closing up , or overtaking a stationary queue and forcing a way in at the last yard , which stops the queue resulting in more overtaking.
Saw a lorry driving very slowly in the outside lane of a merging lane on a motorway . Figured out it was stopping the overtaker and thereby keeping the front of the queue moving, so the whole queue kept moving. Cars behind were glowing in red hot though!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back