Free Member
Apr 29, 2017
nn297tl
Funster No
MH
E745 Bessacar
Exp
12yrs
Here's a thought for you, I recently sold a motorhome, I attended to all the faults that I was aware of including two advisories at the MOT.

The new owner made contact to say that he had found rotten wood underneath, an area of damp and a leaking rooflight, none of which I was aware of,

He asked if I'd take the van back, I declined.

He has since had the repairs carried out and the bill came to Ā£450 (so the work can't have been too major)

He's asking me to pay for it.

Before I reply to him, I'd be interested to hear your comments.

OP
OP
B

BuilderBob

Free Member
Apr 29, 2017
nn297tl
Funster No
MH
E745 Bessacar
Exp
12yrs
It was a private sale, I gave him a receipt simply confirming the date, and price

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Much depends on the status of the sale - if you are a dealer, then consumer protection law applies. If it was a private sale then the onus is on the purchaser to have made sure he knew what he was buying. Personally, I would be looking at seeing if I could come to some arrangement with the buyer to help offset the additional expenditure that neither of you anticipated. This link helps explain the legal position https://www.inbrief.co.uk/consumer-law/non-professional-and-private-sales/

OP
OP
B

BuilderBob

Free Member
Apr 29, 2017
nn297tl
Funster No
MH
E745 Bessacar
Exp
12yrs
As I said previously, private sale, no guarantee offered, I take your point chaps, that 'sold as seen' is a useful addition to the receipt.

Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
I always sell a vehicle with a receipt stating that the new buyer has looked over and agreed / happy with said vehicle and all know faults have been rectified or pointed out to buyer. print 2 copies one for buyer and for seller, signed and dated on both. There are plenty of templates for vehicle sales online, and I believe there may be one for motorhomes on here. Whether or not the buyer of your motorhome has any comeback is one for the legal eagles on here.
Just found one on here- https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/motorhome-buyers-and-sellers-contract.312/

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Always put 'sold as seen, tried and tested by them' for future reference.

Did you go and see the 'problems' after he found them?

Craig

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Depends what u made on the deal and what % Ā£450 represents plus how desperate your personal circumstances are.
If it were me I think I might offer Ā£250 without accepting any liability and after seeing a photo of the wood repair.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Guess the question would be "how much hassle is he going to give you by email, etc".
Whilst I would say it's the buyers problem might you want to come to some sort of agreement with him? Does he have photos \ proof of the issues and if so offer a couple of hundred pounds contribution as full and final settlement for this and any future that may come to light (not saying there will be but....).
Boils down to how much do you trust him, like him, etc and if it's worth a couple of hundred pounds to put this issue to bed and move on.

Jul 26, 2019
Devon / Cornish border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kimu 122
Exp
I always put the following when I have sold a car:

Sold as seen, tried tested and approve. No Warranty implied or given

and get a copy signed for me and a copy signed for the buyer

But, I wouldn't pay the Ā£450 or offer anything and see what develops

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Our host Jim has put up a useful Bill of Sale (with all the caveats about not being a lawyer etc). I am a lawyer and it's pretty good. I'd urge any private seller to find, download and use the form.

P.s. I think Peskyrabbitt at #10 above has provided the link.
P.p.s. I must read the whole thread. šŸ˜€

• Thanks
Reactions: Jim
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Did you honestly not know about the damp? No hab checks? If not then I think you can sleep easy. If you did then you will have to square that away with yourself. Buyer should really have asked for a hab check though.

OP
OP
B

BuilderBob

Free Member
Apr 29, 2017
nn297tl
Funster No
MH
E745 Bessacar
Exp
12yrs
He is a genine sort of guy, He's offering to show me invoices, photographs and contact the company that carried out the work so I have little doubt that he is telling the truth.
Having said that, it's a private sale, caveat emptor applies, he viewed the van in the dark whilst it was raining.
So I could stick two fingers up and say 'on yer bike'
Like everyone else, I have bought many things in the past that needed money speeding on them after I had bought them

However, I think I'm with Bernie109 on this, I made good money selling it and I have to live with myself, so an ex gratia payment of Ā£250 will make the issue go away and if we meet on a campsite sometime time the future, we can do so without fighting!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
He is a genine sort of guy, He's offering to show me invoices, photographs and contact the company that carried out the work so I have little doubt that he is telling the truth.
Having said that, it's a private sale, caveat emptor applies, he viewed the van in the dark whilst it was raining.
Like everyone else, I have bought many things in the past that needed money speeding on them after I had bought them

However, I think I'm with Bernie109 on this, I made good money selling it and I have to live with myself, so an ex gratia payment of Ā£250 will make the issue go away and if we meet on a campsite sometime time the future, we can do so without fighting!

I wouldn't entertain his claim.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The only time you are liable on a private sale is if you knowingly declare a serious fault that you were aware of.

As you made good money on the sale I would agree with your decision but I would ask him to bring the van over for you to have a look and have a look at the invoice for the work. It will show you are not a soft touch in case he comes back with other problems.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015

An excellent way to deal with the matter, if I may say so. One thing I'd do, is mark your exchange making the settlement, 'without prejudice' so that if he doesn't accept your offer, and takes you to the county court small claims court, your offer can't be used as an admission or partial admission. Good luck!

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
There is a Karma to buying and selling vehicles. If you feel that you have been honourable and correct in your assertion of the vehicles condition, then you could rightly adopt a caveat emptor position. Conversely if the buyer is a decent chap who has genuinely found issues which as the seller you were unaware of, then I would seek to remedy (without acknowledging any liability) with an agreement satisfactory to both parties. This approach avoids the bad Karma... šŸ˜‚

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
I bought our first motorhome a few years back and found out quite quickly that there was damp and rot in one area of the floor and wall due to poorly sealed outer panel, after getting a quote for the repairs I spoke to the person I bought it from (private sale) and asked if he could help out as I had bought the motorhome in good faith and to my surprise he offered to pay half which I accepted. What a nice man.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
When you have agreed the sale, you should provide the buyer with a car sellerā€™s contract. This is a receipt, signed by both the buyer and the seller, which states that the car was ā€œsold as seen, tried and approved without guaranteeā€. You can find a template for a car sellerā€™s contract on the AAā€™s website.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back