What do you think (1 Viewer)

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
You have that guilty conscience of selling alleged faulty goods, however you were NOT aware of any issues and would have negotiated the selling price if they been pointed out. Onus is on his purchase to check all issues including damp/hab checks to a degree. Now if it is his first motorhome purchase and not aware of the pitfalls that is a different issue and he/she i would have expected to take someone else with some knowledge to pass comment. This is not a small topic to offer some compensation for but a major inconvenience to all parties. What else could he find fault to make further claim.
1609340445526.png

Sep 23, 2014
weston s mare
Funster No
MH
frankia A class
Exp
He is a genine sort of guy, He's offering to show me invoices, photographs and contact the company that carried out the work so I have little doubt that he is telling the truth.
Having said that, it's a private sale, caveat emptor applies, he viewed the van in the dark whilst it was raining.
So I could stick two fingers up and say 'on yer bike'
Like everyone else, I have bought many things in the past that needed money speeding on them after I had bought them

However, I think I'm with Bernie109 on this, I made good money selling it and I have to live with myself, so an ex gratia payment of £250 will make the issue go away and if we meet on a campsite sometime time the future, we can do so without fighting!
I think that would be the right and Gentleman thing to do. and would suggest it ought to leave a smile on both of your faces

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I would go a little further and say what makes both parties content. Not an easy path to tread I accept

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
He is a genine sort of guy, He's offering to show me invoices, photographs and contact the company that carried out the work so I have little doubt that he is telling the truth.
Having said that, it's a private sale, caveat emptor applies, he viewed the van in the dark whilst it was raining.
So I could stick two fingers up and say 'on yer bike'
Like everyone else, I have bought many things in the past that needed money speeding on them after I had bought them

However, I think I'm with Bernie109 on this, I made good money selling it and I have to live with myself, so an ex gratia payment of £250 will make the issue go away and if we meet on a campsite sometime time the future, we can do so without fighting!
I think you are being fair and ethical offering £250 but make sure you get him to sign that it is in full and final settlement and no further payments will be made no matter what future issues arise. You don’t want him thinking he can come back again if he1 finds something else or 2 breaks somethin.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I think you are being fair and ethical offering £250 but make sure you get him to sign that it is in full and final settlement and no further payments will be made no matter what future issues arise. You don’t want him thinking he can come back again if he1 finds something else or 2 breaks somethin.
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Personally i think he is being a cheeky bugger. It's not a new van, he inspected it, he accepted it, you told him all you knew about it, he took the risk buying used. As i said previously i would tell him to do one.
it certainly would have helped if you had written "sold as seen" on the receipt but.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Don’t pay the guy anything, you have said you checked and made sure the vehicle was as in good a condition as you could make it. Whilst I am not a solicitor If you pay him anything it could appear your admitting liability. What happens in a months time and the clutch needs replacing or the piezo spark on the cooker does not work. It’s a private sale and the buyer should have made their own checks before purchase. Don’t do it (at least I wouldn’t).

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
As far as i'm concerned, you have to live with yourself, so do what make's you happiest.
Not if it’s deemed by offering some money your admitting liability and further claims could come along in the next few months. An unscrupulous buyer could also view the seller as a soft touch.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
I've sold lots of cars over the years and I always get the buyer to sign a copy of the bill of sale with the words "sold as seen no warranty implied or given" there are lots of people in this world who take great pride in ripping others off and although your man maybe totally genuine and did find the said faults he may also just be trying it on so personally I wouldn't worry about trying to resolve the issue he it's there own fault if they didn't see the problems before parting with the money.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back