What Car Would you Suggest Please? (1 Viewer)

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
For £25k, you could get a Subaru Outback, the 2012-2021 model or Volvo XC70 - the 2013-2016 XC70; tough, reliable vehicles. The 2.0 D on the Subaru is punchy for a diesel, but noisy; however, it's got 147bhp so is powerful. The XC70 comes in at just under £25k since the newest is 2016 model year.

With the Volvo, you get a 2.4-litre 181bhp 4-cylinder turbodiesel, the D5 which is economical, but avoid the smaller 2.0 D4D with 181bhp, it's 2WD only.

Note the Volvo has a reputation for going through brake pads; one owner reported replacing them 4 times in 7 years.

For the Volvo, go for SE Lux trim or SE Nav with Geartronic auto; choose a strong colour like red or navy blue, or coppertone, but don't go for brighter blue or white models, no-one really wants them.

Subaru also has SE trim which is well-equipped, but their auto is called Lineartronic.

In all, both are decent choices - car-like looks but SUV-like abilIty

Isn't xc70 diesel is the D5 5 cylinder engine quite a characterful engine in my experience later ones will be 205 /215 bhp which is pretty good. You'll get more car for your money than with Audi / BMW but thet do look older compared to newer models like XC90

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Kia Sorento GT line S
7 seats
Automatic
All the toys and a balance of the 7 year warranty what’s not to like
90C88616-52CA-4541-A879-0A7EFD01B675.jpeg

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Austin Maxi with seats down
I’ve just realised that ‘Austin Maxi with the seats down’ is the answer to loads of questions on this forum.
I.e. coachbuilt or PVC? Austin Maxi with the seats down.(AMWTSD)
Single or double beds - AMWTSD
single or double axle - AMWTSD
Best motorhome you’ve ever owned ..AMWTSD
Towbar or door bike rack. AMWTSD
Recommend Aire? AMWTSD
etc etcetc

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
I’ve just realised that ‘Austin Maxi with the seats down’ is the answer to loads of questions on this forum.
I.e. coachbuilt or PVC? Austin Maxi with the seats down.(AMWTSD)
Single or double beds - AMWTSD
single or double axle - AMWTSD
Best motorhome you’ve ever owned ..AMWTSD
Towbar or door bike rack. AMWTSD
Recommend Aire? AMWTSD
etc etcetc
Fantastic car I've got 1 that I'm rebuilding i wasn't going to sell it but I suppose I could let it go to a fellow funster I reckon about £22000 would be a reasonable price

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
What I'd do is have a look to see if Fords Of Winsford have anything you're considering
I haven't been since Covid but for looking at various makes and models it's great

They just give you the keys to go and sit in the cars to get a feel for them , if you find one you like you approach a salesman and he arranges a test drive

This may have changed since Covid though , in the past they'd let you take 3 sets of keys

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
What I'd do is have a look to see if Fords Of Winsford have anything you're considering
I haven't been since Covid but for looking at various makes and models it's great

They just give you the keys to go and sit in the cars to get a feel for them , if you find one you like you approach a salesman and he arranges a test drive

This may have changed since Covid though , in the past they'd let you take 3 sets of keys
FoW gas changed a bit in Covid times
Went last week with a relative from outside the area, very difficult to get keys, a “qualifying” process ( just short of a stool sample) to get a single set of keys and then repeat the process to get another. One set at a time. I suppose in an effort to restrict browsers to real buyers, they have tightened up….so it gas changed a bit

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Mercedes ML420 diesel will be my next. I've had an ML 350 petrol auto for the last eight years and apart from one broken coil spring it's not put a foot wrong. Very comfortable on a long trip, it's been from Cardiff to Geneva and back at least 6 times. Put a ski box and bikes on top plus bikes on the back and makes no difference. Awesome in snow too 👍
I ve had a 2008 ML420 for the past 5 years now. It is an amazing drive train, wonderful overtaking car for the weight of it and will pull 3500kgs without breaking a sweat and not bad on fuel. You could have it in a quarry on a Friday and at a wedding on a saturday and yes would happily jump in it and go any distance.

Its achilles heel is the 7g transmission, two years ago the motor on the side that changes the gears failed locking itself in park and there is no manual override. So 4 wheel lift recovery and then the garage had a nightmare trying to get it on a ramp. Merc were a pita because the part has to come from Germany coded to the car and then needed further programming to get it to actually work. Why it has the 7g is beyond me it has so much torque that a 3 speed manual would be more than enough.

Its fine again now but next one will be older and manual and yes possibly Toyota - although can you get a decent Amazon for the budget?

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
The pool of used cars is getting very small at the minute due to the semi conducter issue so it might be worth waiting a couple of months when prices may start to drop as more stock becomes available

mjay

Free Member
Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
nissan elgrand e50
Nissan elgrand v6 3.5 fantastic high performance, 4 x 4 available so much fun!
D is available

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I ve had a 2008 ML420 for the past 5 years now. It is an amazing drive train, wonderful overtaking car for the weight of it and will pull 3500kgs without breaking a sweat and not bad on fuel. You could have it in a quarry on a Friday and at a wedding on a saturday and yes would happily jump in it and go any distance.

Its achilles heel is the 7g transmission, two years ago the motor on the side that changes the gears failed locking itself in park and there is no manual override. So 4 wheel lift recovery and then the garage had a nightmare trying to get it on a ramp. Merc were a pita because the part has to come from Germany coded to the car and then needed further programming to get it to actually work. Why it has the 7g is beyond me it has so much torque that a 3 speed manual would be more than enough.

Its fine again now but next one will be older and manual and yes possibly Toyota - although can you get a decent Amazon for the budget?
Ah that's a shame. I was thinking of replacing my 350 petrol with one. It's difficult to know what to buy these days. Bloody electronics and emissions make them all so complicated.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Nissan elgrand v6 3.5 fantastic high performance, 4 x 4 available so much fun!
D is available
I do have a Wildcard

Toyota Vellfire
3.5 V6 Petrol
7 or 8 Seats
Selectable AWD
Front and Rear A/C

There are various options that the original Japanese buyer may have added.

Radar Cruise
Adjustable Damping
Aircraft style Seats (that I do not like)
Electric Doors
Twin Sunroofs
Parking Cameras

I am just not sure of the tow weights.

I think I would use an import agent.

Broken Link Removed

Older Version

<Broken link removed>
velf1501_24.jpg

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Mmm? Nice interior but why do they call it a car? It's not very nice looking on the outside even for a van. That's my opinion for what it's worth.

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Its a bit small as well!
Ford Expedition anyone, the older 6.7 litre one, forget your little girly 4X4's.
( only joking I would keep the Range Rover)

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
Hi,

I am looking to replace my Range Rover with a Luxury Grand Tourer.

Its to use for long Distance trips to Spain, Scotland and up in the Alps in Winter.

I just cannot think what to replace it with?.

* 4X4 Or at least AWD
* 5 to 8 Comfortable Seats.
* I don't like saloons so must be Estate/Minivan
* Prefer Diesel
* High Towing Capacity
* Power and Refinement

Used Market - Budget is £25,000

Any suggestions please?
Could i ask What year RR you have now ?

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Could i ask What year RR you have now ?
2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 TDV8

62,000 miles.

Almost Full Main Dealer service History

Usual Westminster Standard Specifications.

Tow bar 3,500kg
Harmon Kardon Logic 7 Speakers ( I think they quote 19 speakers though I cannot find them all (29! in the P405))
TV + 6 CD Changer

Additionally it has, over usual Range Rover Westminster Spec some rarely available options (Westminsters of this model year were mostly factory standard built to empty shelves).

All-around parking cameras
Blind Spot warning
4 Zone Climate Control
Rear Chauffeur Function - Including Reclining rear seats
Rear Screens with TV/6 DVD changer/TV/ Playstation type Inputs + Remote Control
Bluetooth Headphones x 2 for rear

Lots more I am sure we cannot think of

Awesome power and refinement. More a long distance cruiser with serious off road ability.

I just don't think it warrants our daily needs and we are trying to combine to combine 2/3 cars into one.

Apart from the know starting issues of it, I love it. One minor gripe or two. The Split tailgate means its a pain for anyone under 7 foot to reach into the back of the boot. To keep the TV/DVD/CD/Radio on for more than a few minutes, you have to run the engine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back