What Car Would you Suggest Please? (1 Viewer)

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I hope the sat nav is truck or camper based to allow the width and height to be input to avoid narrow roads and low bridges :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
He’s already had to have a windscreen fitted and it was more £ than many A classes. His grandson loves driving it, even though he‘s not old enough to have a license yet 😵😵

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Our local Merc dealer lent me a GL350 for three months because they broke my car ... long story ... that was big and comfortable. Bit heavy on juice but you could get 30 plus mpg out of it on a cruise. They do a seven seater. They are basically an ML Merc with a stretched body but on the same floor pan. You might need to apply budget creep and man maths to get a really well specced one.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
For that money you could get a very nice Skoda Superb estate.
Ive just recently got a 2 year old petrol one with the dsg gearbox, as I couldnt justify a diesel ( too many short journeys) and I am very pleased with it. Largest load in its class, extremely comfortable and drives like a dream.
Yep I have the 220hp saloon sportline they're the same length as the estate. They're based on the VW Arteon. Had Skoda's for a decade now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
My mate bought a caravan and asked advice on a tow car, he likes his driving (his other car is a DB9 Volante) but was thinking of a large 4x4.
I pointed out that he would be towing for no more than 5% of the time and directed him towards an Audi A6 Avant.
He bought an A6 Avant 3lt biturbo, diesel & quattro. It goes like sh*t off a shovel and on a run he gets well into the 40's mpg. He loves it. And within your budget. Simples!

Terry

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've just bought a VW Touareg , I'm not one for spending a fortune on cars but I do like to buy the best example for the budget I have

I can say with total honesty it's the best car I've ever driven, I love it

25k would get you a 4 year old one , mine is 14 years old and still drives like it's new.

but , what I do when looking for a car is just put in a £number as max budget, tick the body styles I'm looking for and see what comes up , found some real bargains like that and cars I may not have thought of

Just had a look, VW approved used have a few around 25k , they come with 2 years VW warranty

Last edited:

ashburn8618g

Free Member
Aug 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
For £25k, you could get a Subaru Outback, the 2012-2021 model or Volvo XC70 - the 2013-2016 XC70; tough, reliable vehicles. The 2.0 D on the Subaru is punchy for a diesel, but noisy; however, it's got 147bhp so is powerful. The XC70 comes in at just under £25k since the newest is 2016 model year.

With the Volvo, you get a 2.4-litre 181bhp 4-cylinder turbodiesel, the D5 which is economical, but avoid the smaller 2.0 D4D with 181bhp, it's 2WD only.

Note the Volvo has a reputation for going through brake pads; one owner reported replacing them 4 times in 7 years.

For the Volvo, go for SE Lux trim or SE Nav with Geartronic auto; choose a strong colour like red or navy blue, or coppertone, but don't go for brighter blue or white models, no-one really wants them.

Subaru also has SE trim which is well-equipped, but their auto is called Lineartronic.

In all, both are decent choices - car-like looks but SUV-like ability.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
2018-06-17 15.40.27.jpg

In another year i think these will only £25K. This is Mrs Bob's.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Barry who I’m working for is into his cars and just swapped his RR for https://www.bentleymotors.com/en/mo...VlKl3Ch2MNgf4EAAYASAAEgKp-PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
don't they start at 160k?
The 2.0 D on the Subaru is punchy for a diesel, but noisy; however, it's got 147bhp so is powerful.
have they stopped the diesel engine problems the early ones had?
Scoobies are noted for being heavy on the mpg but bomb proof.
Petrol maybe, the early diesels used to destroy themselves .

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Audi A6 Quattro?

BMW 5 series xdrive.

VW Caravelle 4x4

If 4x4 then the world's your oyster but most will be disappointing compared to the range rover.

Cheers James

A6 Quattro and 5 series x-drive , yes, shortlisted

I Never want another VW transporter, ever again after two T5 disatsters, both brand new factory orders.
Toyota Landcruiser is a possibility probably get more for your money than range rover
Have you seen the price of a decent Land Cruiser these days?
Xc60 or xc90 lovely the latter especially 👍
New shape Xc90's were tooo expensive when I bought the Range Rover
Definately on my list
G wagon but will need to increase your budget lol
I have had major issues with Mercedes Cars and Vans in the past. Bit like eddievanbitz
Kia Sorento
My Newphew worked for mercedes for years. Now operations manager at lookers and rates these VERY Highly, its his company car choice.
Mercedes ML420 diesel will be my next. I've had an ML 350 petrol auto for the last eight years and apart from one broken coil spring it's not put a foot wrong. Very comfortable on a long trip, it's been from Cardiff to Geneva and back at least 6 times. Put a ski box and bikes on top plus bikes on the back and makes no difference. Awesome in snow too 👍
as above I have had major issues with Mercedes Cars and Vans in the past. Bit like eddievanbitz
Barry who I’m working for is into his cars and just swapped his RR for https://www.bentleymotors.com/en/mo...VlKl3Ch2MNgf4EAAYASAAEgKp-PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
One of my customers has. I think its net worth is £50,000,000.00 though
I’d look no further than an Audi A6 Avant or a BMW 530d estate.
A6 Quattro and 5 series x-drive , yes, shortlisted
I can say with total honesty it's the best car I've ever driven, I love it

25k would get you a 4 year old one , mine is 14 years old and still drives like it's new.

but , what I do when looking for a car is just put in a £number as max budget, tick the body styles I'm looking for and see what comes up , found some real bargains like that and cars I may not have thought of

Just had a look, VW approved used have a few around 25k , they come with 2 years VW warranty

I will take a look at that.
I'd say another LR, but £25k won't get you much
Ours is a low mileage 4.4TDV8

Lots of extras

Rear DVD
4 zone Climate
TV
Cameras all around
Blind Spot
Sunroof

You name it.

But its let me down too often in just over two years and ive only covered 6,000 miles. (limited due to covid)
36EC8F85-237F-4403-AA90-FD5D38C1370D.jpeg
36EC8F85-237F-4403-AA90-FD5D38C1370D.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi,

I am looking to replace my Range Rover with a Luxury Grand Tourer.

Its to use for long Distance trips to Spain, Scotland and up in the Alps in Winter.

I just cannot think what to replace it with?.

* 4X4 Or at least AWD
* 5 to 8 Comfortable Seats.
* I don't like saloons so must be Estate/Minivan
* Prefer Diesel
* High Towing Capacity
* Power and Refinement

Used Market - Budget is £25,000

Any suggestions please?
Porsche Taycan !!
No point in messing about.
🤪
Mitch.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Switched over to an A4 estate since April this year, 4wd and very nice on my long drives across Europe. Did consider an A6 but in honesty i don't need that much space, that much of the time. I looked at similar BMW's and Mercs and just loved the interior of the A4. I went petrol this time (first one in years) after being an LR stalwart, Discos and then RRS. Have to say i'm finding it very enjoyable to drive a car rather than a sofa:giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back