What birds do you get in your garden

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by davanne, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +24,069
    One of our pigeons has discovered that she (or he) can reach the seed feeder from the white cross pole. Funny to watch!

The young hawk has been back the last two days...... she tried to land on the roof yesterday and slid all the way off. A real clatter as she came down the slates. She has managed to catch a few mice even though the sparrows are too fast and clever for her.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
  2. davanne

davanne Funster

Ratings:
    +15,239
    We live at the top of a hill and yesterday as we left home in the car to drive down to the A48 we were level with a red kite that was flying over a sloping field.........we often get them flying over the garden but this was so much closer.
    We are still getting the usual array of birds including our resident woodpecker ...I’ve not taken any photos recently but will see what we have visiting today and try to get a photo or two.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Love it Love it x 1
  3. mart

mart Funster

Ratings:
    +508
    Just heard a thud from the patio area ,looked out to see a sparrowhawk with one of our local doves , there are now feathers everywhere and one hawk enjoying brunch

4. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Ratings:
    +6,033
    We have a couple of sea gulls trying to land this morning. As the garden is small they seem to panic and take off again with out landing.

5. davanne

davanne Funster

Ratings:
    +15,239
    We have a resident sparrowhawk too........he has recently taken to flying into the glass on our back door when trying to catch small birds .....he must be quite young and not quite got the hang of catching prey.

6. Norfolk Nomad

Norfolk Nomad Funster

Ratings:
    +430
    Nuthatch, always nice to see. 49212673_2002496106508239_6505335664714711040_o.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like it Like it x 4
    • Love it Love it x 2
  7. davanne

davanne Funster

Ratings:
    +15,239
    They amaze me how they feed upside down

8. Lanerboy

Lanerboy Funster

Ratings:
    +299
    We live on the edge of town with fields front and rear we have bird feeders up but really seem to struggle with any type of song birds we get black birds and the odd robin but not much else

I put it down to the huge number of magpies around us and huge numbers of grey squirrels both of which I have seen in spring going up and down the hedgerows eating all the birds eggs

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Ratings:
    +49,301
    This heron flew in with me sat, albeit inside, but big window and only 15’ away

No harm done, just had a look, but I suspect he will be back :(

BCF464DA-4733-46AB-8765-6E1A22AD5EA0.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 11:04 AM
    • Love it Love it x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  10. davanne

davanne Funster

Ratings:
    +15,239
    A heron took two beautiful koi from my pond when I lived in Lancashire:( after that we had netting over which did deter it from trying again.

My step daughter and her husband have a huge pond complex outside the conservatory at their farm and they can be sat right by the edge and the heron still comes to try his luck. They have a very fine but strong mesh over the main pond where the fish are which seems to work.