LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
is there a standard rule about the distance between m/h and m/h caravan and caravan m/h and caravan to avoid the spread of fire the caravan club rules are 6 meters between facing walls of the above that is a good rule but do private and council site have the same rules we had a caravan sited 55inches from use by the warden not happy about that he quoted some rule about a m/h can be moved if there was a fire what a tw*t help needed from my learned funsters lol ray

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
can be a bit like boats moored up in a marina .
takes some seeing just believe they park that close.
on some aires they can almost double how many vans get on to what the books say.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
warden not happy about that he quoted some rule about a m/h can be moved if there was a fire what a tw*t help needed from my learned funsters lol ray
Had he a small trash and moaned about getting a kick in the nuts sometime in the 1930's-1940's ?!..... It was a concentration camp (CC) you were at, wasn't it ? ;)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The origin of the word "rule" is Latin and old French.... did both Latin and modern French at school but don't remember much. That's my excuse, it's all foreign to me :)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
is there a standard rule about the distance between m/h and m/h caravan and caravan m/h and caravan to avoid the spread of fire the caravan club rules are 6 meters between facing walls of the above that is a good rule but do private and council site have the same rules we had a caravan sited 55inches from use by the warden not happy about that he quoted some rule about a m/h can be moved if there was a fire what a tw*t help needed from my learned funsters lol ray
Sites licensed by Local Authorities, have to comply with a general set of rules dating back to legislation set out in 1960 (with amendments).

Site Boundaries The boundaries of the site shall be clearly discernible on the ground by reference to, for example, fencing or otherwise defined to the satisfaction of Aberdeenshire Council, and in accordance with the approved plan. Spacing Subject to the variations in 2.2, the distance between any two units, or between a unit and a building, shall be not less than 6 metres. If there is a mixture of holiday caravans and touring caravans in the same area, the minimum spacing (including the spacing between any two holiday caravans) shall also be 6 metres. The point of measurement for the following variations of the spacings given in paragraph 3 is the exterior cladding of the unit, excluding the drawbar if any. All measurements are between the closest parts of the structures concerned. (a) (b) Porches may protrude 1 metre into the 6 metres space. If awnings are used, the distance between any part of the awning and an adjoining caravan/awning shall not be less than 3 metres. The distance between any unit and the site boundary shall be not less than 3 metres. Roads, Gateways and Footpaths The site shall be designed to provide adequate access for fire appliances. Wherever reasonable and practicable no caravan standing or toilet block shall be more than 90 metres from a site road. Common buildings and facilities shall be connected to the road by a footpath at least 0.75 metres wide and with a hard surface. Roads shall be at least 3.7 metres wide, with provision for passing places if the width of the road is less than 5.5 metres and subject to two-way traffic. This condition applies where a new site or extension is proposed and where alterations would allow the road layout to be improved. There shall be adequate turning space at the end of any cul-de-sacs. Roads shall be adequately surfaced and suitable to carry the vehicles for which they are intended. Gateways shall be a minimum of 3.1 metres wide and have a minimum height clearance of 3.7 metres. Roads shall have no overhead cables less than 4.5 metres above the ground. Roads and footpaths shall be suitably lit to allow residents to see their way about the site at night.

3.10 Emergency vehicle routes within the site shall be kept clear of obstruction at all times. 3.11 The surface, gradient and width of roads and footpaths shall take account of the requirements of persons with disabilities. 3.12 There shall be adequate surface water drainage for roads, carriageways, and footpaths. 4. 4.1 4.2 5. 5.1 5.2 6. 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 Car Parking Up to two vehicles may be parked between adjoining units provided the doors to the units are not obstructed and this does not obstruct fire-fighting appliances. There shall always be 3 metres of clear space between a car belonging to one unit and any other unit. Site operators shall take particular care to ensure that other equipment, for example boats and trailers, does not encroach on the 3 metres of clear space. If particular equipment appears to the site owner to represent a potential fire hazard it shall not be stored between the caravan units. Limited parking shall be provided for any service vehicles or mobile shops which may use the site; or for caravans pulling on to while booking in or out of the site.

All Local Authorities comply with these basic rules for camp sites.

HTH,

Jock.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
If there are rules about distance between pitches they certainly do not apply in many campsites in Germany and Austria . A site we stayed in in the Black Forest was like a chicken hatchery ! It was not the only one ...I must say that I expected better from the Germans . In the end we decided that it was just as good to use the stellplatzes since many of them have hookup which is all we need most of the time .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The legal position is part of the Caravan Sites & Control of Development Act 1960.

Under Section 5, local authorities may attach conditions to site licences which they issue and (ss6) the Minister may issue model standards which LAs must have regard to. The latest model standards date from 2008 and can be found Here and on many LA sites.

S5, however, only applies to licensed sites. That means that it does not apply to any site established under an exemption in Schedule 1 so it does not apply to CLs/CSs, rallies, meets or THSs or to the likes of music festivals (or, as we found, camp sites at historical re-enactment events). In reality, though, sensible CL/CS owners and rally organisers follow the model as well.

Spacing at aires in other countries is obviously not covered by UK legislation.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
For future reference you can download the Fun Rally Marshals Handbook that has among other information about running a Fun Rally, the spacing regulations..
Here http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/rally-marshals-handbook.84/update?update=122

the page showing the correct spacings

rally.PNG

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Having spoken to some Spanish campers as to why they park so close to their friends, their answer was, why wouldn't you???
They obviously don't know or realise how easily a caravan/motorhome can catch fire, how ferociously it burns and how easily it can spread to adjoining units..

always at the back of mind on packed Aires where vans can be so close you can't open your window fully ..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There are no rules law wise. However should on a fun meet, person A's motorhome catch fire and damage person B's van. Then person B's insurers (whether person B likes it or not) will be asking me why we did not adopt the 'Best Practice' in this area as outlined by the largest club in the UK ( the Caravan Club) ie their 6m rule.

And to get our rally certificate we have to show the Government our policy for pitching vans, we show them the document ScotJim posted above (y)

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
Parked on an Aire at Braganca yesterday, the level we were on is for 4 vans, came back from a stroll to find ourselves boxed in:(
There were 9 vans parked on there:LOL: ours and 8 Frenchies!
They did come over and say they were leaving at 8am the next day:rolleyes:
God job for them we weren't leaving then:LOL:
DSCN0428.JPG
Probably should have said we are leaving at 6am:ROFLMAO:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Festival Spacing. 7 paces. We did try actually measuring, putting in pegs etc;. but no one took any notice. So, The introduction of the 7 pace rule. now applies, The operative phrase being "Nearside on me sunshine".!!! Then He (She) wants a space saved for 2 Mates!!!. It ALWAYS Rains when parking up! have you noticed?.

P.s. I shall have to come and see Jim`s Parking one of these Days!!!.

Pete

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
On Aires if parking bays are not marked I park just far enough that another van cannot squeeze in between.
I would say the majority are marked out unless very big then they don't bother as it is too costly.
I expect the revamped aire at Dieppe will be the marked out variety when it re opens.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Parked on an Aire at Braganca yesterday, the level we were on is for 4 vans, came back from a stroll to find ourselves boxed in:(
There were 9 vans parked on there:LOL: ours and 8 Frenchies!
They did come over and say they were leaving at 8am the next day:rolleyes:
God job for them we weren't leaving then:LOL:
View attachment 61615 Probably should have said we are leaving at 6am:ROFLMAO:
It was packed like that when we were there about ten days ago. Almost all French too, but I couldn't work out why they were there and should have asked I suppose.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
For future reference you can download the Fun Rally Marshals Handbook that has among other information about running a Fun Rally, the spacing regulations.. the page showing the correct spacings..

At first glance I thought I was looking at a Dance manual for large beetles there (cha cha cha).

Fascinating, as the late Mr Spock would say.

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back