We need to say thank you...and complain...

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
On our way back from our world tour (My mother told me a million times not to exaggerate) we were lucky to stop in Sainte Maure de Touraine in the Indre-et-Loire Department in France after travelling down the excellent and straight D910.

It was absolutely pouring with rain and I was, rarely for me, completely exhausted. We had spent an hour and a half trying to find somewhere to park in the large town of Tours. It was a disaster with barriers over all suitable parking areas despite it being late October.

We came into the small town of Sainte Maure de Touraine an hour further south which obviously has a high level of civic pride judging by the number of information signs proudly displaying the towns historic credentials. I was suspicious when I saw an arrow to the left directing us to camping car parking. It was bound to be closed. No. I gladly pay for parking but it was free parking in a very quiet spot and there were three other motor homes there snuggled up for the night.

We were very tired but when we come across excellent parking of this type we always make a point of supporting local businesses. We trekked out in the absolute pouring rain and found the nearest pizzeria. We had a nice, simple meal and made a point of telling the owner that we were motor homers and were staying in the provided park. We made a special point of saying that we were eating in the pizzeria because of the parking.

The next morning we emailed the Maire thanking him for the excellent parking and explaining that we had eaten in the town. We received a prompt and very nice reply from the Maire thanking us for our visit.

My point is this. When services are provided and can be used by us we MUST say thank you and at the same time support local business. It is the only way to let the powers that be know that we appreciate the help and also reinforce to them that it is good for local business.

When you enter a town where there signs banning camping cars from entering towns we need to complain.

I know some other Forum readers love camping car sites, we abhor them (sorry). If we motor home enthusiasts want to be able to stay in places other then enclosed special areas then we have to stand up for ourselves.

When you enter a town and all the parking has barriers or signs banning 3.5 ton vehicles or as in the case of the parts of Portugal that we visited specifically banning motor homes, then we all need to complain and explain that the local economy is losing trade. Write to the Maire or town hall. We all need to stand up for ourselves.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
On our way back from our world tour (My mother told me a million times not to exaggerate) we were lucky to stop in Sainte Maure de Touraine in the Indre-et-Loire Department in France after travelling down the excellent and straight D910.

It was absolutely pouring with rain and I was, rarely for me, completely exhausted. We had spent an hour and a half trying to find somewhere to park in the large town of Tours. It was a disaster with barriers over all suitable parking areas despite it being late October.

We came into the small town of Sainte Maure de Touraine an hour further south which obviously has a high level of civic pride judging by the number of information signs proudly displaying the towns historic credentials. I was suspicious when I saw an arrow to the left directing us to camping car parking. It was bound to be closed. No. I gladly pay for parking but it was free parking in a very quiet spot and there were three other motor homes there snuggled up for the night.

We were very tired but when we come across excellent parking of this type we always make a point of supporting local businesses. We trekked out in the absolute pouring rain and found the nearest pizzeria. We had a nice, simple meal and made a point of telling the owner that we were motor homers and were staying in the provided park. We made a special point of saying that we were eating in the pizzeria because of the parking.

The next morning we emailed the Maire thanking him for the excellent parking and explaining that we had eaten in the town. We received a prompt and very nice reply from the Maire thanking us for our visit.

My point is this. When services are provided and can be used by us we MUST say thank you and at the same time support local business. It is the only way to let the powers that be know that we appreciate the help and also reinforce to them that it is good for local business.

When you enter a town where there signs banning camping cars from entering towns we need to complain.

I know some other Forum readers love camping car sites, we abhor them (sorry). If we motor home enthusiasts want to be able to stay in places other then enclosed special areas then we have to stand up for ourselves.

When you enter a town and all the parking has barriers or signs banning 3.5 ton vehicles or as in the case of the parts of Portugal that we visited specifically banning motor homes, then we all need to complain and explain that the local economy is losing trade. Write to the Maire or town hall. We all need to stand up for ourselves.
I agree with most of what you say. But when we toured Portugal in September/October we didn’t see anywhere we went banning Motorhomes or camping cars. We used searchforsites and found it easy to find aires in towns and coastal places.
Phil

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just because I am parked for free outside the Morelo factory and using their free electric and will later be drinking their free coffee don't think for one minute that I am going to go inside the nice warm showroom and buy a van.

But the OP does make a good point and in general we try to support the principle.

Martin

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Just because I am parked for free outside the Morelo factory and using their free electric and will later be drinking their free coffee don't think for one minute that I am going to go inside the nice warm showroom and buy a van.

But the OP does make a good point and in general we try to support the principle.

Martin
Are you sitting in your Flair Martin or are you giving your new Morelo a shake down;)
Brian & Jo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Are you sitting in your Flair Martin or are you giving your new Morelo a shake down;)
Brian & Jo
Still in the old Flair Brian, every time we go near a showroom or factory our van just seems to take the hint and go even better, we had a lovely run down here yesterday from N+B at Polch, it will genuinely be very difficult to replace and I can't see it happening any time soon but there again in another two hours time I might have been completely blown away(y)

Martin

Shrimp

Funster
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We use French Aires a lot but can’t get over that you find an Aire, park up, walk into Ville......& nothing, not even a Boulangerie!
Most Villes have some sort of commerce but not all!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We use French Aires a lot but can’t get over that you find an Aire, park up, walk into Ville......& nothing, not even a Boulangerie!
And often there is no one around so the ville looks like it would on the day of the Triffids. Where do the people all disappear to during the day?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We likewise support the local businesses wherever we stay by either shopping or eating out as we want to experience where we are rather than be just cocooned in our van.
This weekend just gone we spent the weekend in the Peak district and spent one night in the car park of the Ladybower Inn having first phone them if it was ok to do so if we ate with then.
We spent a couple of hours in there, had a couple of drink and a meal but what struck us was the mass of walkers and ramblers in there warming up and drying off their muddy kit that was strewn across tables and chairs stopping others wanting to sit and eat and taking the art of making a drink last to another level. The pair sat on the next table to us had the same two cokes from the time we came in till the time we left.
Free loading tossers, motorhomers could be taught a thing or two by walkers and ramblers on how to do it properly. :eek:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Paul and Val
Exactly! We do the same.

When using Aires, specially provided by villages, we also make a point of buying local produce and making sure it is understood that we are using that facility. We also feel that “admiring” something in the village during our purchase fixes our visit in their minds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
When we "BritStop it" we always leave a thank you card and say how much we appreciate and need these facilities etc etc ....(y)
Last Summer Leave when we were abroad we started to use the same cards - Google translated ;) and leave them in the Marie offices or just wedge them in the Aire notice boards if they have them. I hope it shows that we all appreciate the facilities offered to us all. :D2:D2

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Recently stayed near our friends son's place in France, they had until a couple of days befor we arrived, a bread machine filled daily by the local boulangier. Unfortunately they had gone out of business so no machine. We were well miffed as we had held off buying bread to try the machine. saw a few out and about and in Chateauxroux they had a pizza machine, and a lovely bakery.
so many if the homes in le dore are holiday homes and empty at this time of the year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back