We have a dire shortage of HGV drivers you would think they would speed up licence applications but No (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I remember wishing it would go up to 50 Mph, years before it did. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Still 40 mph up here
Sturgeon’s lot won’t up the limit

The A75 is a shocker , I’ve lost count the number of times I had take preventive action to avoid accidents with cars overtaking me in the face of oncoming traffic .

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
You too Paul. (y)

BTW, are you going to Spain at anytime this winter?

Cheers,

We wanted to be over there already but we never made any plans due to the uncertainty, just as well too :wasntme:

Ironically we've been quite busy though so it's just as well I suppose and I've got the unit in for MOT in Feb so it's probably just as well we're not.

Can't wait till we can though, maybe March time?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Still 40 mph up here

The A75 is a shocker , I’ve lost count the number of times I had take preventive action to avoid accidents with cars overtaking me in the face of oncoming traffic .
I remember a dukes of hazard driver telling me that was 70mph all the way to the ferry that road. Haha

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Still 40 mph up here

Aye, due to frustration. Motorists are more tolerant when sat behind you doing 50 Mph, than they ever were at 40 Mph.

We wanted to be over there already but we never made any plans due to the uncertainty, just as well too :wasntme:

Ironically we've been quite busy though so it's just as well I suppose and I've got the unit in for MOT in Feb so it's probably just as well we're not.

Can't wait till we can though, maybe March time?
We've cancelled yet again Paul, and re booked our pitch at Villasol for Jan 2023. :( We are not keen on sailing the BoB, and prefer to drive down.

Cheers,

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Aye, due to frustration. Motorists are more tolerant when sat behind you doing 50 Mph, than they ever were at 40 Mph.

We've cancelled yet again Paul, and re booked our pitch at Villasol for Jan 2023. :( We are not keen on sailing the BoB, and prefer to drive down.

Cheers,

I would love to see accident figures involving lorries on single carriageway roads since the limit went up, I reckon its made a massive improvement.

Its rainig here in Denia this morning, although it was 20 and sunglasses past few days.

Will dig out Shapps response in a bit Jock

Bon nuevo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Jock were hopeful to go to Spain for
5-6 weeks returning around the 10th of April hence the later booking for my CPC .

Agree with you about automatic trucks , I’d far rather have a
4 over 4 with split any day
But then that was what I was brought up with
Or even better Eaton twin split they took a bit of mastering
Yep had a good old ERF for about 4 years back in the 90s great old motor
Would this gearbox be ok haha

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
JockandRita and anyone else whos interested this is DFT response:-

Thank you for your email below to the Secretary of State for Transport, Grant Shapps, about the shortage of heavy goods vehicle (HGV) drivers and the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC). I have been asked to respond as my team deals with this policy area.

Ministers are aware that many people, like yourself, have raised concerns about Driver CPC, requesting a halt or an abolition of the scheme to help with the current HGV driver shortage, seeing it as a barrier both to new entrants and those wishing to remain or return to the sector. The time it takes and the cost of obtaining and retaining Driver CPC is one of the main concerns raised, with many also questioning the usefulness of the periodic training, particularly to those who have been HGV drivers for a number of years.

Driver CPC was introduced to improve road safety and provide economic and environmental benefits. Many professionals are required to undertake continuing professional development to stay up to date with the demands and legal requirements of their chosen profession. It is not unreasonable that professional HGV drivers, who have a significant responsibility for road safety, should be required to undertake some form of regular training.

However, Ministers have been listening to all the concerns raised by industry about Driver CPC and on 8 November the Secretary of State for Transport announced an urgent review of the scheme. The review will look at how Driver CPC can be updated to reduce the burden on new and returning drivers and ensure it does not act as a barrier to working in the sector. I have forwarded your email below to the team leading on the Driver CPC review, so that your concerns and suggestions are considered as part of the review.

The Department is continuing to work with other government departments and the industry to address the HGV driver shortage. For details of the 32 actions the Government have taken to tackle the driver shortage and bolster supply chains in the UK; please see link to the page on gov.uk.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
JockandRita and anyone else whos interested this is DFT response:-

Thank you for your email below to the Secretary of State for Transport, Grant Shapps, about the shortage of heavy goods vehicle (HGV) drivers and the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC). I have been asked to respond as my team deals with this policy area.

Ministers are aware that many people, like yourself, have raised concerns about Driver CPC, requesting a halt or an abolition of the scheme to help with the current HGV driver shortage, seeing it as a barrier both to new entrants and those wishing to remain or return to the sector. The time it takes and the cost of obtaining and retaining Driver CPC is one of the main concerns raised, with many also questioning the usefulness of the periodic training, particularly to those who have been HGV drivers for a number of years.

Driver CPC was introduced to improve road safety and provide economic and environmental benefits. Many professionals are required to undertake continuing professional development to stay up to date with the demands and legal requirements of their chosen profession. It is not unreasonable that professional HGV drivers, who have a significant responsibility for road safety, should be required to undertake some form of regular training.

However, Ministers have been listening to all the concerns raised by industry about Driver CPC and on 8 November the Secretary of State for Transport announced an urgent review of the scheme. The review will look at how Driver CPC can be updated to reduce the burden on new and returning drivers and ensure it does not act as a barrier to working in the sector. I have forwarded your email below to the team leading on the Driver CPC review, so that your concerns and suggestions are considered as part of the review.

The Department is continuing to work with other government departments and the industry to address the HGV driver shortage. For details of the 32 actions the Government have taken to tackle the driver shortage and bolster supply chains in the UK; please see link to the page on gov.uk.
Thanks for posting the reply Jon. (y)

TBH, I was expecting it to be a more of an automated type response.

They've known of the situation for years, but as usual done nothing about it. Too little too late if you ask me.

"No driver should be out of pocket or out of work through no fault of their own."
Add up the cost of the medical, the DCPC, and the Tacho card, and you are looking at anywhere upwards from £330, depending on who does your medical. :whatthe:
That is only to keep yourself on the road, and does not include the cost of the initial HGV Training and test, which can cost a couple of grand per category. :(

Cheers,

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back