We have a dire shortage of HGV drivers you would think they would speed up licence applications but No (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Apparently I had gone 5 x minutes over the maximum 6 x hours working time Richard, without showing a break. :doh: Nothing at all to do with the Tachograph Rules & Regs.

Surely if that was the ruling, it would apply right across the EU, and in non EU countries which choose to comply with the EU Rules?

Cheers,

Jock. :)
It’s all down to interpretation and if people do not like the interpretation they could just blame the EU then point to other countries within the EU and say the same rules do not apply to them.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Apparently I had gone 5 x minutes over the maximum 6 x hours working time Richard, without showing a break. :doh: Nothing at all to do with the Tachograph Rules & Regs.

Surely if that was the ruling, it would apply right across the EU, and in non EU countries which choose to comply with the EU Rules?

Cheers,

I THINK? That IF you do not spend at least 15min on ones 'watch around before taking over a vehicle' this can also contravene 'working time directive' as well as tacho requirements, It may have changed since I was a Transport manager/Owner?? :unsure:

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
It’s all down to interpretation and if people do not like the interpretation they could just blame the EU then point to other countries within the EU and say the same rules do not apply to them.
BUT that interpretation is down to the agency that is in control of your Operators Licence AND have the powers to withdraw it.
When I did international haulage, the UK was the ONLY country that abided with ALL the directives, is there any wonder that the Cabotage has been extended to oversea's operatives???

Of course, my comments were given as it stood BEFORE any special Covid rule were brought in, NOW they may have changed!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544 classic
Exp
Newbies
Well there you have it , I had a letter from HMG asking me to help out in the driver shortage even though I surrendered my vocation
Well like a dutiful citizen I’ve been for the medical at my expense ((£90)and passed , booked my DCPC online
Sent my application away and those wonderful gems in DVLA have now told me it will be probably next year before I get my LGV reinstated on my licence .
Why did I bother
Reality always outweighs what's portrayed but I have to say when I'm on them motorways I don't see a shortage of LGVs. Is it just crazy consumerism or laziness that we all want everything on our doorstep 🤔 just a mad after drinking wine thought 🎺🥂

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Wtd is the most common cause of problems for drivers I was told on one cpc course. They advised putting it on poa at every possible chance to delay the 6hr cut off so not getting in to trouble. It’s a pain what ever way you look at it.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I THINK? That IF you do not spend at least 15min on ones 'watch around before taking over a vehicle' this can also contravene 'working time directive' as well as tacho requirements, It may have changed since I was a Transport manager/Owner?? :unsure:
I don’t think that there is a actual time specified for checking the hgv, just an accepted time of 15 minutes.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I've been thinking for a while about making a suggestion, so yesterday I sent this to Grant Shapps

Dear Mr Shapps
Speaking as a C+E licence holder for the past 30 years can I suggest that the easiest way to alleviate some of the HGV driver shortage is to make the driver CPC a oneoff event. Its never really been fit for purpose and is widely seen amongst drivers as either a tedious waste of time or a skive.

The problem is that its keeping many experienced part timers off the road because they wont continue to do the courses, OK part timers ( mostly older guys) but the driver shortages have been around for years and the way the hauliers have dealt with it has been to feed in part-timers frequently though employment agencies to keep the lorries moving. Even to cover the gaps caused by people taking time to do the driverCPC

The Driver CPC requires all drivers to do 35 hours of training in every 5 years. I've now done 10 and they've all been rubbish, anecdotally I could have done the same one 10 times. So after 70 hours of training have I learnt anything? Not one thing. None of them have contributed in anyway to making me a better, safer driver.

My suggestion would be to require all new HGV drivers to complete the course before they take to the road, capture their email addresses on a central database and email them any changes to the laws, and maybe have an assessment over 1 day every 10 years, this wouldnt be a bad idea for all road users actually.

His email is advertised as shappsg@parliament.uk so fingers crossed it gets through.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
What I do when I enter the digi Tacho card, is put it on work mode straightaway, thereby showing a work period before driving off, during which time the daily checks are carried out. I too reckoned 15 x minutes, but was quickly advised recently that the gaffer only allows for 8 x minutes, to do daily checks.

jongood. Nice one Jon for taking the time to contact Grant Shapps. I do hope you get a decent reply, recognising the problem the tedious and repetitive DCPC courses are creating, toward the driver shortage. 👎

Cheers,

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
Just managed to stay awake through the select committee on Road Freight Supply Chain. Many interesting points raised but as one of the witnesses pointed out the same issues were raised last in 2016!

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
It was a bigger problem because it was affecting London!!

The talk amongst my Transport Manager friends, at the time, was that ONLY BP were short of 4 drivers at one depot and sent an email to their garages informing them that there MIGHT be some delays in delivery.

This was picked up by the media and then the panic buying started and THAT'S what caused the shortage of fuel? (Just like the toilet rolls)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The talk amongst my Transport Manager friends, at the time, was that ONLY BP were short of 4 drivers at one depot and sent an email to their garages informing them that there MIGHT be some delays in delivery.

This was picked up by the media and then the panic buying started and THAT'S what caused the shortage of fuel? (Just like the toilet rolls)

A BP representative didn’t dispel fears of a shortage.

In fact was very good at making it look like a Country wide issue regarding lack of drivers.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
A BP representative didn’t dispel fears of a shortage.

In fact was very good at making it look like a Country wide issue regarding lack of drivers.
I remember the interview,

How could he, there WAS shortages at a FEW of HIS garages AND there IS, and has been for a long time, a shortage of drivers.

I don't remember him LINKING the two specifically, but I may be wrong.

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
DVLA received my D2/D4 forms on the 16th of November (proof of postage) I just need my previous entitlement on a new licence. We will see how long it takes.
I'm not holding my breath.

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
Clean bill of health my C+E took ten weeks to come back.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Good afternoon all. :)

Neil S. Any progress with your licence renewal Neil?

My Class 1 HGV & PSV licence expires in March, so due to the perceived delays and as an experiment, I had my medical on 18th December, sent off the D2 & D4 forms by recorded delivery on 20th December, and received my new HGV & PSV licence back this morning ..................... with an expiry date of March 20th 2023. :dance2: I am surprised at how quick it took, but pleased for once to be praising DVLA rather than running them down. :)

As a "belt and braces" job, I included a recent photo, along with a cheque for £17.00......................which they saw fit to refund (y) possibly because they used my passport photo, (same as the one sent in).

As these will be annual medicals now, my plan is to do it all again, but in November this time, (medical is valid for 4 x months), so that my new licence should arrive in December, before we leave for Spain in January...........................which is where we should be right now. :(

I've been thinking for a while about making a suggestion, so yesterday I sent this to Grant Shapps

Dear Mr Shapps
Speaking as a C+E licence holder for the past 30 years can I suggest that the easiest way to alleviate some of the HGV driver shortage is to make the driver CPC a oneoff event. Its never really been fit for purpose and is widely seen amongst drivers as either a tedious waste of time or a skive.

The problem is that its keeping many experienced part timers off the road because they wont continue to do the courses, OK part timers ( mostly older guys) but the driver shortages have been around for years and the way the hauliers have dealt with it has been to feed in part-timers frequently though employment agencies to keep the lorries moving. Even to cover the gaps caused by people taking time to do the driverCPC

The Driver CPC requires all drivers to do 35 hours of training in every 5 years. I've now done 10 and they've all been rubbish, anecdotally I could have done the same one 10 times. So after 70 hours of training have I learnt anything? Not one thing. None of them have contributed in anyway to making me a better, safer driver.

My suggestion would be to require all new HGV drivers to complete the course before they take to the road, capture their email addresses on a central database and email them any changes to the laws, and maybe have an assessment over 1 day every 10 years, this wouldnt be a bad idea for all road users actually.

His email is advertised as shappsg@parliament.uk so fingers crossed it gets through.
jongood, Did you ever get a reply from Grant Shapps, Jon?

Cheers for now,

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Good afternoon all. :)

Neil S. Any progress with your licence renewal Neil?

My Class 1 HGV & PSV licence expires in March, so due to the perceived delays and as an experiment, I had my medical on 18th December, sent off the D2 & D4 forms by recorded delivery on 20th December, and received my new HGV & PSV licence back this morning ..................... with an expiry date of March 20th 2023. :dance2: I am surprised at how quick it took, but pleased for once to be praising DVLA rather than running them down. :)

As a "belt and braces" job, I included a recent photo, along with a cheque for £17.00......................which they saw fit to refund (y) possibly because they used my passport photo, (same as the one sent in).

As these will be annual medicals now, my plan is to do it all again, but in November this time, (medical is valid for 4 x months), so that my new licence should arrive in December, before we leave for Spain in January...........................which is where we should be right now. :(

jongood, Did you ever get a reply from Grant Shapps, Jon?

Cheers for now,

Jock I got my HGV and PCV entitlement renewed eventually .
It took about nearly 9 weeks from the date I sent it away which was around 14th October .
I also included another photo even though it wasn’t needed .
We were supposed to be leaving for Spain at the beginning of January but due to the uncertainty of omicron we have delayed our departure to February 25th .
I have my CPC booked for the end of April .
Won’t have a problem finding work my old firm will take me back on a part time basis
Actually looking forward to getting back behind the wheel .
hoping to do Germany again this year probably around September time again .

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Jock I got my HGV and PCV entitlement renewed eventually .
It took about nearly 9 weeks from the date I sent it away which was around 14th October .
I also included another photo even though it wasn’t needed .
We were supposed to be leaving for Spain at the beginning of January but due to the uncertainty of omicron we have delayed our departure to February 25th .
Won’t have a problem finding work my old firm will take me back on a part time basis
Just be careful out there, unfortunately nowadays the roads are full of numpties who only know how to drive an auto box, don't know what "handball" means and have no idea of what courtesy to other drivers is all about. Oh, and car drivers don't give a shite either.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Just be careful out there, unfortunately nowadays the roads are full of numpties who only know how to drive an auto box, don't know what "handball" means and have no idea of what courtesy to other drivers is all about. Oh, and car drivers don't give a shite either.
No I am at home. Haha

Deleted User
All you oldies looking for work, I would struggle to get in the cab now let alone the trailer, would probably pass the medical though.
Let mine lapse in 2006.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Nice one Neil, though I would have thought you'd have got in earlier than that. :whatthe:
I too am with my old part time employer. Work was mad on the run up to Christmas (food distribution), but as expected, has slackened right off now, and won't pick up again until Mother's Day with the demand for flowers, and then Easter again for produce and flowers. My gaffer distributes both, so this time of year would have been ideal to be sat in the sun, then back for March. ;)

I find it enjoyable, but only doing 2 x days a week, or 3 x when exceptionally busy. The units are all autos now Neil, which does take away some of the enjoyment of driving for me. :(

Snap. (y)

You are not wrong Paul, soon reminding me why I was happy to walk away from it a few years ago. :(
Every man and his dog is in a hurry, mainly car drivers, one of which nearly had me off the road, out in the Lincolnshire sticks. He overtook me on a dark unlit road, which wasn't wide enough to do so safely. I struggled to keep my front nearside wheels from catching the soft verge, leading down an embankment. :madder:
I caught up with him at a T junction to the busy A17. He was indicating right but couldn't exit the junction due to traffic coming from the left. As soon as I pulled up behind him and applied the handbrake, he suddenly turned left into a gap in the traffic from the right.....................heading in the opposite direction to where he wanted to be. :devil: :devil: :devil:

Cheers,

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Nice one Neil, though I would have thought you'd have got in earlier than that. :whatthe:
I too am with my old part time employer. Work was mad on the run up to Christmas (food distribution), but as expected, has slackened right off now, and won't pick up again until Mother's Day with the demand for flowers, and then Easter again for produce and flowers. My gaffer distributes both, so this time of year would have been ideal to be sat in the sun, then back for March. ;)

I find it enjoyable, but only doing 2 x days a week, or 3 x when exceptionally busy. The units are all autos now Neil, which does take away some of the enjoyment of driving for me. :(

Snap. (y)

You are not wrong Paul, soon reminding me why I was happy to walk away from it a few years ago. :(
Every man and his dog is in a hurry, mainly car drivers, one of which nearly had me off the road, out in the Lincolnshire sticks. He overtook me on a dark unlit road, which wasn't wide enough to do so safely I struggled to keep my front nearside wheels from catching the soft verge, leading down an embankment. :madder:
I caught up with him at a T junction to the busy A17. He was indicating right but couldn't exit the junction due to traffic coming from the left. As soon as I pulled up behind him and applied the handbrake, he suddenly turned left into a gap in the traffic from the right.....................heading in the opposite direction to where he wanted to be. :devil: :devil: :devil:

Cheers,

Jock were hopeful to go to Spain for
5-6 weeks returning around the 10th of April hence the later booking for my CPC .

Agree with you about automatic trucks , I’d far rather have a
4 over 4 with split any day
But then that was what I was brought up with
Or even better Eaton twin split they took a bit of mastering
Yep had a good old ERF for about 4 years back in the 90s great old motor

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Vacancies maybe, look at the salaries.
I have had a call around with current ADR, if they think I would work for what's on offer, they can think again.
No shortage in my view merely people have tired of exploitation.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
You lot will be talking about the man with the red flag on front if you go back much further :eek:

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Every man and his dog is in a hurry, mainly car drivers, one of which nearly had me off the road, out in the Lincolnshire sticks. He overtook me on a dark unlit road, which wasn't wide enough to do so safely I struggled to keep my front nearside wheels from catching the soft verge, leading down an embankment. :madder:
I know what you mean Jock. Trust me, it doesn't get any better when you've got a 13'8" wide load with an escort behind you and orange lights flashing in all directions, on the M4 a couple of days before Christmas. Cars trying to overtake me on a 2 lane section of roadworks then a couple of trucks too...like I don't have anything else to worry about?

Stay safe Jock.

Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back