We have a dire shortage of HGV drivers you would think they would speed up licence applications but No (1 Viewer)

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Well there you have it , I had a letter from HMG asking me to help out in the driver shortage even though I surrendered my vocation
Well like a dutiful citizen I’ve been for the medical at my expense ((£90)and passed , booked my DCPC online
Sent my application away and those wonderful gems in DVLA have now told me it will be probably next year before I get my LGV reinstated on my licence .
Why did I bother

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Brexit 🤔🤔🤔🤔 it's err because they can't get enough people to process the applications 👍😎

People just won't swallow COVID as an excuse for filing fingernails and watching daytime TV any more. Every other company in the country is working flat out and getting stuff done. They're a lost cause.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
People just won't swallow COVID as an excuse for filing fingernails and watching daytime TV any more. Every other company in the country is working flat out and getting stuff done. They're a lost cause.
Totally agree, bins not emptied- blame Covid
GP can’t see patients face to face - blame Covid
In fact blame Covid for everything if you can’t be bothered doing it.

It’s about time this excuse was binned.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Totally agree, bins not emptied- blame Covid
GP can’t see patients face to face - blame Covid
In fact blame Covid for everything if you can’t be bothered doing it.

It’s about time this excuse was binned.
you cannot bin the excuse there is no room as they have not been emptied :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
Well there you have it , I had a letter from HMG asking me to help out in the driver shortage even though I surrendered my vocation
Well like a dutiful citizen I’ve been for the medical at my expense ((£90)and passed , booked my DCPC online
Sent my application away and those wonderful gems in DVLA have now told me it will be probably next year before I get my LGV reinstated on my licence .
Why did I bother
Check this out it might apply to you. Section 88 of The Road Traffic Act 1988 may allow you to continue driving even though you do not hold a current driving licence. In practice, this will be when you have applied to the DVLA to renew your licence, but the licence expires (runs out) while we are processing the application.

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
Check this out it might apply to you. Section 88 of The Road Traffic Act 1988 may allow you to continue driving even though you do not hold a current driving licence. In practice, this will be when you have applied to the DVLA to renew your licence, but the licence expires (runs out) while we are processing the application.
Unfortunately when a prospective employer wants to check your licence it is shown as expired on the DVLA site.

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Unfortunately not , I voluntarily surrendered my HGV entitlement a while back and because it’s not a simple renewal I have to wait until the DVLA process the medical and licence application
I will get it back as I passed the medical with flying colours
Also I need to do 35 hours training on line to get my DCPC

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
It’s time we changed the spelling of Covid to L A Z Y because that’s all it is. A very easy excuse for being lazy. That’s in many professions and industries not just DVLA. GPs are getting a slating in the press recently because they’re about the last profession to go back to work. It’s a good job others in health care were prepared to work through this pandemic. Now though, they (GPs) should start working again. Hospital waiting list grow every day because people cannot see their GP. A+E is struggling because people cannot see their GP. Everyone else is getting back to work. Why not GPs? It’s not doctors just GPs. Why?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It’s time we changed the spelling of Covid to L A Z Y because that’s all it is. A very easy excuse for being lazy. That’s in many professions and industries not just DVLA. GPs are getting a slating in the press recently because they’re about the last profession to go back to work. It’s a good job others in health care were prepared to work through this pandemic. Now though, they (GPs) should start working again. Hospital waiting list grow every day because people cannot see their GP. A+E is struggling because people cannot see their GP. Everyone else is getting back to work. Why not GPs? It’s not doctors just GPs. Why?

Part of the explanation is that the UK has only 1 GP per 2000 patients. Germany has 5 GPs per 1000 patients. Most other countries in Europe are somewhere in between.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Public service funding has been cut time after time over the years to the bare minimum (or even less) to process the workload thrown at it. As with JIT supply chains, there is no slack so when extra demand arises it is bound to cause problems.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The DVLA has been a basket case for years but WFH has made things even crazier.

It is time Ministers instructed their Senior Civil Servants to get all staff back to work, in all departments. Or are they still being ruled by the “Sir Humphrey’s” of the Civil Service?

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Throughout the lockdowns GP’s have been paid for the number of patients on their books regardless of the fact that they’ve not seen any, that’s how they now want it to continue, easy money, fobbed off with phone consultations, if you can get one, usually told to ring 111 and let someone else deal with it or go to A & E if there is one local.
Absolutely no time for them at the moment, 2 weeks ago rushed into hospital with stroke problems, the team there were brilliant and did their job perfectly, probably still be waiting for a reply from the GP.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Part of the explanation is that the UK has only 1 GP per 2000 patients. Germany has 5 GPs per 1000 patients. Most other countries in Europe are somewhere in between.
We could have one GP per patient. It wouldn’t matter if they cannot be bothered to see their patients.
GPs do seem to be untouchable as far as being made to do the job for which they are drawing a very good salary.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
It will be interstate to see what Grant Shapps lifting of the Cabotage Rule proposal gets from the Haulage Industry and Unite . This was always the cause of rates being driven down as a result of which U.K. HGV Rates were depressed for many years .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We both had to change our licences in the last 18 months. First photo licence in both cases and no passports so brand new photos and all had to be done by post. DVLA processed the changes in plenty of time, even allowing for the fact that one of the documents we sent was the wrong one. We had, of course, ensured that we applied in good time rather than leaving it to the last minute.

As I have said previously, our GP practice (which has been running phone triage for several years) has been great. On the odd occasion we have needed to visit the surgery we have been given appointments with no delay. Flue and Covid jabs administered very efficiently on top.

I wonder if it is more a case, sometimes, of consumers expecting more than they pay for.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Why did I bother
Unlucky Neil. :(
I still have 6 x months on my Class 1 HGV & PSV so no medical needed yet. The online DCPC was completed and my new card arrived yesterday.
I now need to make some phone calls, but if I do go back out on the road, it will be casual, ie, on days which suits both me and the employer, and only a couple or three days a week. Apart from the odd few weekends away, we're not going anywhere far this coming winter.

Get in touch with the authorities listed at the bottom of your letter from Boris, and let them know of your situation. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Good luck,

Jock. :)

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
Unfortunately not , I voluntarily surrendered my HGV entitlement a while back and because it’s not a simple renewal I have to wait until the DVLA process the medical and licence application
I'm in the same boat mine expired 2018, as I understand it if my medical goes well and the doctor doesn't see any problems I can take copies of my D4, D2 and medical report then drive. I dont need a CPC. I could of course be wrong, Mrs Fifthwheel is always telling me I am.:ROFLMAO:

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
Only needed if driving commercially, ie, for profit or gain.

Cheers,

What I should of said was I might be wrong about being able to drive before the licence comes back. The CPC I dont need as I will only be taking trailers for MOT for my son.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Unlucky Neil. :(
I still have 6 x months on my Class 1 HGV & PSV so no medical needed yet. The online DCPC was completed and my new card arrived yesterday.
I now need to make some phone calls, but if I do go back out on the road, it will be casual, ie, on days which suits both me and the employer, and only a couple or three days a week. Apart from the odd few weekends away, we're not going anywhere far this coming winter.

Get in touch with the authorities listed at the bottom of your letter from Boris, and let them know of your situation. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Good luck,

Hi Jock, how was the online version of dcpc?
Jon

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Are you sure about not needing it just to take trailer for mot ? As there was mechanic at the last one I did moaning he had to do it now . Might be worth double checking.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
ie, on days which suits both me and the employer,
Hi.
Some nice little jobs for those " Easing out :ROFLMAO: 🚛 " of the cab. Lads who get back to the yards late of a saturday,cannot start till later on monday morning,so there are plenty of early morning starts going Sunday-Monday. One firm got in touch,i worked Mon/wed. and another lad worked Thur/sat.fit in when and where we were needed. Win-win.
Tea Bag.
PS. it WAS Win-win...until....Jennifer.:rolleyes: Pulled the pin.......

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Contact your MP, papers, ombudsman, Bonkers Boris, to show the DVLA up for what it is a decrepit past it’s sell by date useless department and has been for years, long before covid!

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
I have a reply from DVLA re my driving licence, does anybody know how I can find it in Yahoo mail. I have had this problem on and off for a few years now with Yahoo. I sent them an email and received an answer from them but I cant find either, I have looked everywhere. Both were sent and received Sept/Oct but have disappeared. I can see emails from years ago but not the ones I want.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Jock, how was the online version of dcpc?
Jon
A clue Jon. :sleep::snooze:💤:snooze:💤:sleep:😪💤

Re employers, it looks like all the "big boys", Royal Mail, DPD, Cullina, etc, all use agencies. I have no desire to sign up to an agency. :(

Are you sure about not needing it just to take trailer for mot ? As there was mechanic at the last one I did moaning he had to do it now . Might be worth double checking.
I must admit, I too thought that a DCPC would be required in that situation, as the movement of the trailers is for an MOT, ie, essential for commercial gain.

Cheers,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back