We have a dire shortage of HGV drivers you would think they would speed up licence applications but No (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
And our taxes are paying them to do very little in the week,,,BUSBY.
Probably not GP’s have targets set by the NHS they cannot sit around. <Broken link removed>

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Well there you have it , I had a letter from HMG asking me to help out in the driver shortage even though I surrendered my vocation
Well like a dutiful citizen I’ve been for the medical at my expense ((£90)and passed , booked my DCPC online
Sent my application away and those wonderful gems in DVLA have now told me it will be probably next year before I get my LGV reinstated on my licence .
Why did I bother

and that's the reason I did not!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
along with bottled water i would ban the sale of tat our sainsburies have two aisles of christmas tat in place of more esential goods surely just one year without fresh decorations wouldnt kill anyone

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Throughout the lockdowns GP’s have been paid for the number of patients on their books regardless of the fact that they’ve not seen any, that’s how they now want it to continue, easy money, fobbed off with phone consultations, if you can get one, usually told to ring 111 and let someone else deal with it or go to A & E if there is one local.
Absolutely no time for them at the moment, 2 weeks ago rushed into hospital with stroke problems, the team there were brilliant and did their job perfectly, probably still be waiting for a reply from the GP.

I retired and moved to East Anglia from Surrey a 8 years ago.

While I was in Surrey, my Surgery there, told me, when I was irritated by their constant phone calls for me to attend for a check-up, that they HAD to see me, at LEAST once a year or they would not be paid, by the NHS, for being on their books.

Since moving to East Anglia, I have NEVER been contacted and, sometimes, never see my GP for years.

Has the rules changed or was I given false information by my Surrey Surgery. IF so, why?

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Are you sure about not needing it just to take trailer for mot ? As there was mechanic at the last one I did moaning he had to do it now . Might be worth double checking.

I THINK you may be right, IF anyone is making a profit or GAIN from your actions, it's classed as commercial, or so I have been led to believe?

A number of years ago, a hotel owner near London Airport was using a FREE MINI_BUS to pick-up people who was staying at his hotel.

Despite appealing against it by saying that it was a FREE service to help his clientele, he was fined fairly heavily and had to register his vehicle as a PSV with ALL the requirements that involves, because his HOTEL was making a profit from this service?

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Well I retired from my job last month. I offered to stay on and help them through the Xmas period (every little helps) but they declined my offer. I heard a whisper this week that they might be making redundancies next year.
So is there a shortage of drivers or is there a shortage of decent driving jobs ?

I think it's more to do with British Trucking Co. not making a decent profit now that Cabotage has been extended and all the hoops they have to jump through. Not to mention higher wages and ground rent for their yards?

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Went up and down the m6 a couple of days ago, I would think the last thing we need is more waggons on the road, we ought to be finding some road of having less.
There was a futuristic mention, some years ago, that the motorways should ONLY be used for HEAVY HGV's, 40+tons.
These trucks would off-load at termini near the M/Way and carried into town by smaller vehicle. (Sound a lot like the old steam trains to me!)

All cars would be banned from M/Way and HAVE to use the A roads, this would ease congestion and save on further need for widening or building more motorways.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Well there you have it , I had a letter from HMG asking me to help out in the driver shortage even though I surrendered my vocation
Well like a dutiful citizen I’ve been for the medical at my expense ((£90)and passed , booked my DCPC online
Sent my application away and those wonderful gems in DVLA have now told me it will be probably next year before I get my LGV reinstated on my licence .
Why did I bother
They are now bringing in loads of hgv drivers from the Indian sub continent which has shown up the pitfalls in letting dvla staff work from home...

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
Why don't they just drop the driver CPC? Once you ve done it once you ve done it and its only really worth doing for total novices.
Or perhaps one day every couple of years to make sure drivers are up to date with latest legislation and interpretation.

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Or perhaps one day every couple of years to make sure drivers are up to date with latest legislation and interpretation.
Before the DCPC was forced on us I kept up to date with tachograph legislation and drivers hours
I made it my business to keep up to speed with any impending changes and my employer made all the other drivers aware by issuing printed advice and making all the drivers sign to say they understood .

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Before the DCPC was forced on us I kept up to date with tachograph legislation and drivers hours
I made it my business to keep up to speed with any impending changes and my employer made all the other drivers aware by issuing printed advice and making all the drivers sign to say they understood .
Ditto Neil. I always carried (and still do), VOSA/DVSA booklets outlining the Tachograph rules and regs for both HGVs & PSVs, which I can reference to at anytime.

I got pulled up in the depot a fortnight ago by a Transport Manager less than half my age, for a violation of the rules, ie, 5 x minutes over the maximum time, before needing take a break. I said, "I don't thinks so, not under the Tachograph rules." He replied, "No, not under the Tachograph rules, but under the rules of the Working Time Directive. Now sign here to say you've been made aware of your violation." Gordon Bennett. :doh:
A lot of folks don't realise that we have to comply with different sets of rules, pending when and where you operate. Bu@@er me, it's hard enough as it is to stay in line with those complex sets of rules, ie, Domestic, EU, or AETR, without worrying about the WTD too. :mad:

Cheers,

Jock. :(

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Ditto Neil. I always carried (and still do), VOSA/DVSA booklets outlining the Tachograph rules and regs for both HGVs & PSVs, which I can reference to at anytime.

I got pulled up in the depot a fortnight ago by a Transport Manager less than half my age, for a violation of the rules, ie, 5 x minutes over the maximum time, before needing take a break. I said, "I don't thinks so, not under the Tachograph rules." He replied, "No, not under the Tachograph rules, but under the rules of the Working Time Directive. Now sign here to say you've been made aware of your violation." Gordon Bennett. :doh:
A lot of folks don't realise that we have to comply with different sets of rules, pending when and where you operate. Bu@@er me, it's hard enough as it is to stay in line with those complex sets of rules, ie, Domestic, EU, or AETR, without worrying about the WTD too. :mad:

Cheers,

Jobsworth !!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Cheers,

Why does anyone want to drive for a living when after you’ve managed to avoid all and sundry trying to cause an accident on the roads.

You have to deal with all this other s**t 🤷‍♂️

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Covering his own backside, if the ministry prosecuted he would be in line as well. By getting him to sign to say he understands he is covered
Absolutely Ivory55, which is why I didn't kick off at the young lad. Not only that, he's twice my height and as fit as a fiddle..............whereas I'm not. :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Jobsworth !!

That may not be the case, he is the Transport Manager and ALL violations, IF picked up by a Ministry Tacho Check which can now be done, very quickly, electronically, is recorded on the OPERATORS MINISTRY RECORDS. (These include MOT failures, Traffic & Weight violations, Tacho etc)

He, as the TRANSPORT MANAGER CPC holder, (NOT DCPC) and is responsible for compliance, by the company AND the drivers, to ALL rules and regulations involved with running the trucks.
Yes, he IS covering his backside BUT also covering the companies Operators Licence, TOO many record violation will see him and the company, at a Ministry hearing with the possibility of a heavy fine or BOTH losing their licences and the company closing.

Sometimes I get reminded just WHY I sold my transport business, now is one of those occasions, Thankyou!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
That may not be the case, he is the Transport Manager and ALL violations, IF picked up by a Ministry Tacho Check which can now be done, very quickly, electronically, is recorded on the OPERATORS MINISTRY RECORDS. (These include MOT failures, Traffic & Weight violations, Tacho etc)

He, as the TRANSPORT MANAGER CPC holder, (NOT DCPC) and is responsible for compliance, by the company AND the drivers, to ALL rules and regulations involved with running the trucks.
Yes, he IS covering his backside BUT also covering the companies Operators Licence, TOO many record violation will see him and the company, at a Ministry hearing with the possibility of a heavy fine or BOTH losing their licences and the company closing.

Sometimes I get reminded just WHY I sold my transport business, now is one of those occasions, Thankyou!
My brother who operates his own General haulage business reckons that VOSA keep a league table on operators and the more infringements you have the greater the possibilities of being stopped and checked.

I got stopped a couple of months ago, pulled into the checkpoint under M5 J3, sent the boss a text, he's instantly on the phone ranting about the point of VOSA and questioning their births, It was a long minute before I could interupt to tell him the bloke was stood right next to me. got a warning on one of the tyres but luckily let me proceed.

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
Must confess I haven't been stopped many times over the years but the officials (from what ever the agency happened to be called at the time) have always been polite and cheerful and at the end of the day they are their for the benefit of the driver as much as the safety of the public.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Absolutely Ivory55, which is why I didn't kick off at the young lad. Not only that, he's twice my height and as fit as a fiddle..............whereas I'm not. :LOL:

Cheers,

And I bet that he is only on 20k or a bit more so would not want to be paying fines out of it. Mate of mine went from driving to the desk thinking it would be a move up the ladder, was soon back driving. Said it was worst move he made.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
My brother who operates his own General haulage business reckons that VOSA keep a league table on operators and the more infringements you have the greater the possibilities of being stopped and checked.

I got stopped a couple of months ago, pulled into the checkpoint under M5 J3, sent the boss a text, he's instantly on the phone ranting about the point of VOSA and questioning their births, It was a long minute before I could interupt to tell him the bloke was stood right next to me. got a warning on one of the tyres but luckily let me proceed.
That is my understanding also and, the Bosses attitude does not help the situation.
We all have our off days and your lucky that the inspector had not had an argument with his wife just before starting work. :LOL:

Deleted User

That is my understanding also and, the Bosses attitude does not help the situation.
We all have our off days and your lucky that the inspector had not had an argument with his wife just before starting work. :LOL:

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Must confess I haven't been stopped many times over the years but the officials (from what ever the agency happened to be called at the time) have always been polite and cheerful and at the end of the day they are their for the benefit of the driver as much as the safety of the public.
The DVSA (new name for VOSA but not as easy to remember :rolleyes:) Inspectors are usually polite but, if a dangerous fault is found, have the authority not to be.

I never, in 40+yrs, had any serious problems with them and believe they do an excellent job under, sometimes, extreme circumstances
BUT, there are time when even they can be wrong and one should, POLITELY, point this out to them and usually, after asking to have a word with the senior examiner, they have agreed their mistake. (Try not to draw too much attention to it as nobody, especially someone who has JUST passed out of training, will not appreciate drawing it to the attention of their superiors and compare to Elephants, VOSA inspector memories are MUCH longer :giggle:)

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
but under the rules of the Working Time Directive.
What has that to do with breaks? Also if you exempt yourself from it, i.e want to work in excess of 48 hr/week none of it applies to you.
I was talking to the lad next door a while back about drivers hours etc; & he was falling about laughing when I told him even 1 minute over your stop time was the possibilty of a fine. Whereas here they are allowed a total of 1 hour/day over hours. to allow finding a parking place so that no one loses driving time by having to stop early.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
What has that to do with breaks?
Apparently I had gone 5 x minutes over the maximum 6 x hours working time Richard, without showing a break. :doh: Nothing at all to do with the Tachograph Rules & Regs.

I was talking to the lad next door a while back about drivers hours etc; & he was falling about laughing when I told him even 1 minute over your stop time was the possibilty of a fine. Whereas here they are allowed a total of 1 hour/day over hours. to allow finding a parking place so that no one loses driving time by having to stop early.
Surely if that was the ruling, it would apply right across the EU, and in non EU countries which choose to comply with the EU Rules?

Cheers,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back