moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
No they haven't. They opted out along withe Ireland & the Danes. So the scum changed it to a "safety" directive which means no one has an opt out & everyone has to enforce it.

The UK requires that the actual driver is identified. Everyone else just fines the owner. That's why they do not bother as under UK law they have to have the actual driver.
Scum, such an interesting word...

Is this the same scum which introduced crash helmets for motorbikes and seat belts in the 60s & 70s?

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
Yes, considerably sharper than those who were caught speeding........

:france: :france: :france: :france:
right, that's the last time I review one of your youtube vids!!anyway, be careful what you wish for, you could be next, after all I have seen you driving on your vids. Correction, I have seen your mrs telling you how to drive on your vids.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
right, that's the last time I review one of your youtube vids!!anyway, be careful what you wish for, you could be next, after all I have seen you driving on your vids. Correction, I have seen your mrs telling you how to drive on your vids.
Later this year have a look on the M25 for a Pilote going flat out in the outside lane and that will be SWMBO driving to and from the Eurotunnel terminal - women drivers !!!!!!
:france: :france: :france: :france:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Scum, such an interesting word...

Is this the same scum which introduced crash helmets for motorbikes and seat belts in the 60s & 70s?
Yes , the vast majority are still scum. The bad & the nonsensical far ourweighs any good they ever do.

Aug 9, 2011
Broadway
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
since 2009
this is the last time I shall reiterate what I was saying, that this year there has been a massive increase in Brits getting tickets, myself included, as I said earlier I have been over 4 times in the last 7 years, doing over 10000 miles in the process, same driving practices. I KNOW I was caught exceeding the limit, but by no more than I probably did on other visits, the goalposts have been moved by that little granny marrying sh+t Macron. By the way got both my tickets within a week or so of getting back, they obviously need the money more now.
This is a truly appalling statement. Macron married the woman he loves and you find it acceptable to insult him because she is older than him. Your statement reveals a great deal about you . You are a repellent and odious person and hopefully I will never have the displeasure of meeting you.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
We got our ticket in June for a speeding offence last November 14th, 1kph over the limit, at the top of a hill from a camera about 1mtr behind a bloody great big sign clearly stating the speed limit as 90kph.

Standard €45 fine, not worth arguing with, paid up, done and dusted now, as the saying goes. A small price to pay for being able to freely roam such a beautiful country and stay/Park for nothing.

If we had to pay for all the free aires we've stayed on over the years we probably couldn't have gone so often.

It's an eccentric country and while I agree that Macron is a Brit hating little d**k I see no need to insult his choice of partner, he's just following after all the other Brit haters that have run France since time immemorial.

Vic

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
I found the Menorca system interesting if you break the speed limit or any other traffic law involving a fine when you try to leave the country you cant until the fine is paid luckily we had been warned of this by my son when he traveled there got caught in a hire car

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
How do they stop you leaving the country?

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
How do they stop you leaving the country?

Well with my son when he went to go through customs his passport flagged up the speeding offence he had to give the passport to the hire company to to be photo copied so when the police or who ever deals with it contacts the hire company They pass the details to them and then they alert the ports and air ports and simply wait for you to try and leave then give you an on the spot fine this was three years ago it wasn't much he was only just over the speed limit

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Just my bit on this, are the French going on about this, there must be millions more of them on French roads , how many of them show up on these figures.
French drivers stay within their own speed limits unlike visitors to their country perhaps...

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987

People keep stating this but I say again NO there isn't I was up there a few weeks back & of all the speed cameras nowhere did I see a sign. I will be up there again soon if I actually spot one I'll stop & take a photo.
If you are refferring to the general " speed camera " sign like the UK use which means nothing & is designed as a cheap means of making people slow then I am afraid that doesn't count. If you mean "speed camera 500m then I've never seen one.....

I very much doubt you will ever see a speed camera sign that says exactly where the speed camera is, what would be the point?

Anyway, there are different signs in France, unlike the UK where most speed camera signs are just put up to save the cost of actually putting up a camera.

So, here are the signs.
B6F521E1-DE2B-4BB4-937E-7D1906449A36.jpeg

This one usually means mobile speed cameras may be in use, but generally aren’t. The speed camera will have the ability to recognise hgv’s which will have lower speed limits.

Below, is the sign you see before every speed camera. If it has a truck on it as well, the camera will have a second camera specifically for high vehicles, which is why you will get flashed in a 3m high motorhome even though you are within your speed limit. No action is taken in this case.

5F528332-CCC4-470B-B75D-44B86F748485.jpeg

Every speed camera sign will have the speed limit sign close by or on the sign itself.

Of course, there is currently an expanding network of private companies travelling around France in unmarked cars with speed recording equipment. You won’t see any signs for them unless they are in an area with the first sign.

As Sgt Phil Esterhaus used to say ( in Hill St Blues) “Lets be careful out there”....

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I very much doubt you will ever see a speed camera sign that says exactly where the speed camera is, what would be the point?
Here you can download every speed camera site, along with coordinates , & the speed at which it is set to flash, from the Dirctive General de Trafíco site.
the ones either side of our tunnels , 120kph limit , were set to 141kph as were most mway ones, due to the fact that many people's defence was using the "allowed 20kph above limit to overtake a slower moving vehicle". That's gone now since they altered the law to specifically ban its use on mways.

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!

I suppose the point would be to slow people down and stop them breaking the rules, rather than allowing them to and then punishing them afterwards for it.
I.e. prevention vs punishment.

The speed indicators in villages that tell you your speed really work. I was involved with a speed problem in our villages where on an entrance road the speed averaged about 45mph, with the sign installed the average is round about 28mph.

Hiding cameras may fine people a few days after the event but if you want someone to actually slow down at that moment, while they are there (isn't that was safety is about?) then there's nothing to match a visible camera.

If it is hidden the driver is still free to crush the little child at 65kmh and regret it later, visible and he's doing 45kmh and the child + driver have more time to avert a death. I think that's the point really: prevention.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Let me explain a few things

buttons As a matter of fact yes, you're probably right. A lot of French are not that much speeding. And most of the time it is because they are outside their own area ... and here comes the explanation for Welsh girl because when they are speeding if you look at their plate and number of the department, you will notice they are local. So they know exactly where to slow down.
Of course some will speed wherever they are.
Now gus-lopez . Sorry if I missed things as I didn't find time to read it all before your last post(and that was 2 hours ago, been busy with the toddlers, and could not manage to finish and post grrrr!) There is a big sign usually before a speeding camera . Most of the time it is in precise situations:
1) Ring roads and sometimes on motorways (less often on the latter)
2) When up a hill , because of course you might over speed when driving down it. And even more surely if there are bents.
3) You have a big sign and you will have different speed limits within a few hundred meters, so if not cautious .... BANG! you get caught.
4) Big sign and it takes ages before you actually come across a speed cam, so you forget ... and you get caught

5) Could be now and then ... a fake one

Better post now before someone else prevents me from finishing this post! lol

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Let me explain a few things

buttons As a matter of fact yes, you're probably right. A lot of French are not that much speeding. And most of the time it is because they are outside their own area ... and here comes the explanation for Welsh girl because when they are speeding if you look at their plate and number of the department, you will notice they are local. So they know exactly where to slow down.
Of course some will speed wherever they are.
Now gus-lopez . Sorry if I missed things as I didn't find time to read it all before your last post(and that was 2 hours ago, been busy with the toddlers, and could not manage to finish and post grrrr!) There is a big sign usually before a speeding camera . Most of the time it is in precise situations:
1) Ring roads and sometimes on motorways (less often on the latter)
2) When up a hill , because of course you might over speed when driving down it. And even more surely if there are bents.
3) You have a big sign and you will have different speed limits within a few hundred meters, so if not cautious .... BANG! you get caught.
4) Big sign and it takes ages before you actually come across a speed cam, so you forget ... and you get caught

5) Could be now and then ... a fake one

Better post now before someone else prevents me from finishing this post! lol
Hi
yodeli, thanks for the clear and précise explanation, when next in France I will drive with you on my mind. :) One more question please, in the UK if recorded over the speed limit we get a fine and 3 points on our licence, 12 points and good-by to you licence for a while. The points take years before they are removed. Do you get points on your licence if you are caught speeding in France.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Do you get points on your licence if you are caught speeding in France.

It works the other way round. We have 12 points and if speeding , according to the level of the offence you can loose 1 or 2 or 3 or 6 or all of them. I have 11 left at the moment , but will get it back in a year or so. Usually if you don't get caught again within a period of 2 years you get your points back . This is for speeding only. I don't know about not stopping at a stop sign or at a traffic light. I've never done this sort of thing.

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Big Font!

Is there any reason why the font in your posts looks huge on my computer? Your posts look very informative but my eyes sort of glaze over for some reason, is there a setting I should be using?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It works the other way round. We have 12 points and if speeding , according to the level of the offence you can loose 1 or 2 or 3 or 6 or all of them. I have 11 left at the moment , but will get it back in a year or so. Usually if you don't get caught again within a period of 2 years you get your points back . This is for speeding only. I don't know about not stopping at a stop sign or at a traffic light. I've never done this sort of thing.
Thanks Yodeli interesting but whichever way around, it ends in the same way by loosing our licence…:oops:. I had a very near miss myself this evening, I pulled out onto a busy road in Luton, the gaps were very small so had to gain speed quickly to fit in with the traffic, modern cars don't hang around when you hit the gas. My lovely lady/co-driver ;)shouter speed camera I think I managed to hit the break hard enough to get to the speed limit but just shows how careful we have to be as I had only been on this road for a few seconds. It is all very difficult to keep a clean licence….(y)

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Is there any reason why the font in your posts looks huge on my computer? Your posts look very informative but my eyes sort of glaze over for some reason, is there a setting I should be using?

Sorry ... It's dark inside most of the time since the heat wave and so it must be me who can't see properly . So instead of putting a 22 size I will put less. Is 15 better? It looks smaller than the quote of your post lol . It might also be my settings which are typing very small letters.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back