Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
And If everyone drove on the left!?
Nah, that wouldn't work, you need some on the right and some of the left to keep the earth balanced otherwise it would spin round and round, upside down, and bounce like a 'pin ball' off the other planets ... the best solution is to have people driving on both sides in each country! ::bigsmile:

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
Having serious thoughts about visiting France again, might go via Holland or Spain in future, and no I'm not a speed freak, I think the French idea of village signs being the first indication of speed limits just a bit sneaky
Plenty of people have been fined in Spain and the Netherlands. I received 2 fines last month for speeding near Dordrecht on two separate occasions four days apart.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
France issued 239746 out of a total from all EU states of 362097 to GB, now you might argue more people drive through/ in France, but two thirds? Really?It's that snidy backstud Macron out of spite!

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
They can only deduct points from a French licence not a UK one.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
It's only the UK that has tolerances, do 71 in a 70 kmh limit in France and you are nicked.
UK is probably to lenant surely if you break the speed limit you are still breaking regardless of it being 1 mph or 7mph.

NO! Sorry it if has been said before , I only read the 1st page and I can tell no no, the speed taken into consideration is for example 70 limit +5 =75 and you are fined for what's over it so 78 gives 73 for the fine.
What I don't understand is why quite a few of you think it's a spam! You've been sppedind, you get a fine. that's simple.
Funnily when I get fined I don't say , bloody camera doesn't like me . I'm a black foot , must be a racist speed cam. I just pay because I have been speeding !

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Coming back up through France last week and kept an eye on the cameras- although quite a few are either bagged up or painted over - I got flashed at least 6 times, each time I was travelling at about 100km/h in a 110km/h ( for us) limit.

They were all on downhill stretches of Motorway so must be setup to catch lorries. These were all in locations where its highly unlikely to get pedestrians and with separated carriageways Even the least cynical must thinks its revenue raising.

Edit to say, just hoping I havent got clobbered by a sneaky one in a village somewhere?

You've been flashed because of your height , because lorries are not allowed the same speed . If you get a fine , let me know I'll try to sort it out for you. But I don't think you'll get any

• Thanks
Reactions: f6c
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp

This is the official site for payment
Enter the number of the fine and it will tell where you've been caught.
I don't think a spam can tell you this.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I believe one year!!!

Only the French could be that ignorant. In the UK it's 14 days for an NIP I think
Police have to issue a NIP within 14 days. Whether you receive it or not is immaterial. The Police then have 6 months to issue the fine.
What makes you think the French are ignorant?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
France issued 239746 out of a total from all EU states of 362097 to GB, now you might argue more people drive through/ in France, but two thirds? Really?It's that snidy backstud Macron out of spite!
More likely those 2/3rds think they are above the law and can drive as fast as they like.

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
can't speak for everybody, but in my case I was caught just a few yards into the lower limit, as I was slowing down, and wasn't speeding before then

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
If you have any proof of this statement, or some reasonnable explanation like being too big , too long too high, then let me know I can make a claim for you! Of course I am not the one who decides but still I'm ready to help.

That said night everyone, I'm getting ready to face another flood .... in the next coming hours... :sleep: I just want to sleep !

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
might just do that! I disagree, a speed sign is much more obvious, it's easy to miss a village sign if your attention is elsewhere, like a cyclist or pedestrian. A big round number is far more visible than a pale yellow sign lower down, that's why I don't get caught in UK!
If a village name is surrounded by red then 50 is the best option . Simples not much different to knowing in a U.K. town or village it is 30

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
More likely those 2/3rds think they are above the law and can drive as fast as they like.
I have seen many vehicles on U.K. plates speed past me as I think they assume they won’t be fined as can’t be found by French admin but guess they will soon learn that is no longer the case

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
The French Government is now speeding, well now speeding up the time to get a fine.
A friend has just returned after a 2 weeks holiday, there was the fine for speeding laying on the doormat on arrival home :crying:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
That number is really disproportionate.
Could it be that 50kmh (30mph) is familar to other countries drivers but the British still think MPH ?

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Can you disclose your source for these figures?
according to the Sunday Express, France, so far this year, have issued 239,746 speeding fines to British drivers!(2 of them to me). Having serious thoughts about visiting France again, might go via Holland or Spain in future, and no I'm not a speed freak, I think the French idea of village signs being the first indication of speed limits just a bit sneaky

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Maybe British drivers get more fines because they are less carefull drivers?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have satnav set to warn me of exceeding the speed limit and use the speed limiter (which I find more useful than cruise control) and so far only one speeding ticket, and that was in Yorkshire. See many speeding in France though mainly French so I suppose the odd fine is common to the French.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
In 1976 I received a speeding ticket in the U.K, 48 in a 30.
Since then, I devised a 3 part cunning plan to avoid any further tickets.

First part was to concentrate on driving and pay attention to all road signs
Second part ( if I was travelling to a foreign country) was to do a bit of research about laws in the country I was visiting, and abide by them.
Third part was to keep within speed limits.

It worked, I haven’t had any more speeding tickets.

So, if others follow my cunning plan, they could be as lucky as me.

If you do get a speeding ticket after that, you only have yourself to blame.

No one is out to get you, you don’t get a ticket if you keep to the speed limits.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
can't speak for everybody, but in my case I was caught just a few yards into the lower limit, as I was slowing down, and wasn't speeding before then
The speed limit stops and starts at the sign.
If you are slowing down after the lower limit signs, you are speeding, so getting a fine is wholly appropriate.

Same as accelerating before you get to a higher limit sign.

It’s all explained in the Highway Code.

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
the express obtained stats from the DVLA, IS THAT NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU?

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
In 1976 I received a speeding ticket in the U.K, 48 in a 30.
Since then, I devised a 3 part cunning plan to avoid any further tickets.

First part was to concentrate on driving and pay attention to all road signs
Second part ( if I was travelling to a foreign country) was to do a bit of research about laws in the country I was visiting, and abide by them.
Third part was to keep within speed limits.

It worked, I haven’t had any more speeding tickets.

So, if others follow my cunning plan, they could be as lucky as me.

If you do get a speeding ticket after that, you only have yourself to blame.

No one is out to get you, you don’t get a ticket if you keep to the speed limits.
Good for you, I bet you have never even as much as ran through a field of corn in your youth either!

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
the express obtained stats from the DVLA, IS THAT NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU?
according to the Sunday Express, France, so far this year, have issued 239,746 speeding fines to British drivers!(2 of them to me). Having serious thoughts about visiting France again, might go via Holland or Spain in future, and no I'm not a speed freak, I think the French idea of village signs being the first indication of speed limits just a bit sneaky

Is it a recent article? I ask because it says ' so far this year'... So if it true!! then on average say 1500 Brits are caught everyday, especially when through January-April etc I doubt there are any more than 1500 british vehicles travelling throughout the whole of France on any particular day. A serious case of serial driving without due care and attention!!!

Why the DVLA would have the number of other EU countries offenders is also a mystery..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back