Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Sorry ... It's dark inside most of the time since the heat wave and so it must be me who can't see properly . So instead of putting a 22 size I will put less. Is 15 better? It looks smaller than the quote of your post lol . It might also be my settings which are typing very small letters.

I think it's 'bold' which makes it seem a bit confusing to my eyes, but yes much more readable.

I expect it looks better on some browsers than others as they are all a bit different.
I think the best is the default, but 16 normal is probably close :)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Sorry ... It's dark inside most of the time since the heat wave and so it must be me who can't see properly . So instead of putting a 22 size I will put less. Is 15 better? It looks smaller than the quote of your post lol . It might also be my settings which are typing very small letters.
He is obviously too young to be a member, most of us appreciate large print. Saves us squinting. ;) :)

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
It's not the size I think, it's BOLD that I find makes it look 'all ink' if you see. My eyes were way better 10 years ago even :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I suppose the point would be to slow people down and stop them breaking the rules, rather than allowing them to and then punishing them afterwards for it.
I.e. prevention vs punishment.

The speed indicators in villages that tell you your speed really work. I was involved with a speed problem in our villages where on an entrance road the speed averaged about 45mph, with the sign installed the average is round about 28mph.

Hiding cameras may fine people a few days after the event but if you want someone to actually slow down at that moment, while they are there (isn't that was safety is about?) then there's nothing to match a visible camera.

If it is hidden the driver is still free to crush the little child at 65kmh and regret it later, visible and he's doing 45kmh and the child + driver have more time to avert a death. I think that's the point really: prevention.

Whilst I can see your point here, ( notwithstanding Gus’s post regarding downloadable speed camera locations and the French equivalent) I don’t necessarily agree that precise cameras locations should be signed at the roadside. Some cameras are easily visible, some aren’t. But speed signs are easily seen and these tell you the maximum speed you should be driving, this is the best prevention for speeding
I remember many years ago driving down a 30mph road with 4 speed cameras along it ( Gatso cameras in bright yellow) following a car. The car drove down the road at 60 mph, slowing to just below 30 as he passed each camera. I had to commend him on his forward observation skills, avoiding getting flashed by all 4 cameras, unfortunately, his rear observation skills were non existant, till I put my blue lights and siren on!
He lost his licence for a year.

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
The car drove down the road at 60 mph, slowing to just below 30 as he passed each camera

You'll always get these types of people however many rules, cameras and checks you do. The majority just need reminders.

We also need realistic limits too, roads that are safe at 90kmh for decades becoming hazardous overnight and only safe at 80kmh maybe a thing authority likes, but for many motorists their own lying eyes see the same road.

Tea break

Free Member
Jul 28, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Stop whining all of you and be grateful that you are allowed into our beautiful country.

If it were not for criminals I might havetopaymore taxes so carry on speeding.:D
could not agree more if you don’t want the fine just lift your foot off the gas and take a little more time to appreciate what’s around you to many people in a bloody hurry to get some where these days.And how many of you been caught buy our own sneaky little speed cameras :roflmto:

Tea break

Free Member
Jul 28, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I don’t object to any form of transport I have and still use all types if you wish to rush around every where that’s fine by me it’s your life but don’t whine when you get caught ?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
You'll always get these types of people however many rules, cameras and checks you do. The majority just need reminders.

We also need realistic limits too, roads that are safe at 90kmh for decades becoming hazardous overnight and only safe at 80kmh maybe a thing authority likes, but for many motorists their own lying eyes see the same road.
Surely the reminders are the speed limit signs on every road. All you need to do is keep to the speed limit and remember it’s not a target.
The reduction from 90kmh to 80kmh was done on a bid to increase road safety and reduce accidents. I agree not many people agree with or like the changes, but the French authorities have published figures ( I don’t have them, a google search will though) that show this has worked, despite the naysayers claiming that they know better.
These roads haven’t become more dangerous, it’s just that the limits have been lowered, but it seems some departments will be able to reinstate the 90 km limits if they want to, together with the original signage.
I note already that people are complaining about this, saying they won’t know what speed to drive at in different departments. Well, signs will be there to show you.
For over 35 years, I have been holidaying in France, driving cars, VW campers and motorhomes. Now we live here, and a few things become obvious to you when you spend a lot of time here.
The main thing though, is that the vast majority of people take responsibility for themselves, their decisions and their own safety and if anything happens to them through their own actions, they don’t look to put the blame on others.
It seems the U.K. is following the USA with their blame culture.

OP
OP
C

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Surely the reminders are the speed limit signs on every road. All you need to do is keep to the speed limit and remember it’s not a target.
The reduction from 90kmh to 80kmh was done on a bid to increase road safety and reduce accidents. I agree not many people agree with or like the changes, but the French authorities have published figures ( I don’t have them, a google search will though) that show this has worked, despite the naysayers claiming that they know better.
These roads haven’t become more dangerous, it’s just that the limits have been lowered, but it seems some departments will be able to reinstate the 90 km limits if they want to, together with the original signage.
I note already that people are complaining about this, saying they won’t know what speed to drive at in different departments. Well, signs will be there to show you.
For over 35 years, I have been holidaying in France, driving cars, VW campers and motorhomes. Now we live here, and a few things become obvious to you when you spend a lot of time here.
The main thing though, is that the vast majority of people take responsibility for themselves, their decisions and their own safety and if anything happens to them through their own actions, they don’t look to put the blame on others.
It seems the U.K. is following the USA with their blame culture.
The speed limit is lower in France and the roads less busy but the accident rate higher. Looks as if the UK way is better.

Reactions: GPW

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Just remember that there are 2 subjects where you should never, ever question a man's abilities, his sexual prowess and his driving.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
The speed limit is lower in France and the roads less busy but the accident rate higher. Looks as if the UK way is better.
Yet the speed limit reduction saved 127 lives compared to the previous 5 years figures.
Still, the government have reversed their decision, bowing to public pressure.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Camdoon - empty roads, less traffic just means faster driving = French drivers more efficient at killing people.

Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie
Over in Alsace at the moment, being very observant of the speed limits after reading the horror stories of getting done by post, one thing I have noticed is that there are no signs to show 50kmph when in villages, it appears to change when you hit the village name sign, I suppose it makes you concentrate........

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
The Frenchman 's response is a gilet jaune, still going on but Macron is apparently blocking the msm from reporting it.
[/QUOTE
Not sure where you got this information from ? There are still some but have just travelled north to Brittany and home again around 1000km and have seen none so really no longer headline news

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Over in Alsace at the moment, being very observant of the speed limits after reading the horror stories of getting done by post, one thing I have noticed is that there are no signs to show 50kmph when in villages, it appears to change when you hit the village name sign, I suppose it makes you concentrate........
Same in the UK once you pass the original 30 limit sign no repeater signs its just what you are used to

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The Frenchman 's response is a gilet jaune, still going on but Macron is apparently blocking the msm from reporting it.
I think if they were in the UK most would quite rightly think they ought to vote for a different party at the next election instead of rioting. If sections of our country did the same when Boris gets in (I would say with more justification as he never stood as a possible pm in a general election) I bet the ones on here supporting the jillets jaunne would be dead against similar protests here anti Boris.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Same in the UK once you pass the original 30 limit sign no repeater signs its just what you are used to
But it's easy in the UK you just get out and measurer the spacing between lamposts. Unless otherwise stated if the lamposts are 200 yds or less apart it's a 30 mph limit. I thought everyone knew that.:D

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
But it's easy in the UK you just get out and measurer the spacing between lamposts. Unless otherwise stated if the lamposts are 200 yds or less apart it's a 30 mph limit. I thought everyone knew that.:D
But how many visiting French drivers would know that!!!! as I say its just what you are used to

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Apparently if the village name sign has a red rim painted around the edge of the sign that means 50kph. If it’s the third Tuesday in the month following the winter solstice and the wind is blowing south easterly and the Boulanger has run out of pains au chocolat then this automatically reduces to 45kph (of course), unless the local Marie has decided otherwise then its 47kph......

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The first surprise I got when I first drove in France was that they drive on the right hand side of the road! How on earth was I supposed to know that?
I don't find that a problem as I do 8-10K in mainland Europe but less 1k in the van in the UK & less than 2k in the car.
It's all the stupid UK drivers coming straight at me on the right hand side of the road in the UK that I have a problem with. :LOL:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The speed indicators in villages that tell you your speed really work.
Apart from the fact that they under read. so people get pissed off that they are going slower than they want due to them beieving the flashing sign is 100% accurate.
how do you know they are correct? They have a vested interest in stating that it worked?
If there is no completely impartial authority then you cannot rely on politicians, or anyone with a vested interest, stating "facts"

The next problem that will come, due to the lower limits, is pollution. Returning recently usinga hire car & sticking to the limits I found that 80kph was doable, just, in top .70kph could only be in 4th gear & 50 required 3rd. Prolonged periods of this does nothing for a journey. the 550 kms I did to the Somport, including dog walking took the best part of eleven hours , all rigidly sticking to the limit ,whereas the following 813 in Spain again sticking rigidly to the 120 limit took only 9,5 hours & with same stops for walks etc. Additinally the fuel consumption at the lower speeds in France worked out at 48,5 mpg whereas at the higher speeds in spain it was 48mpg.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I think if they were in the UK most would quite rightly think they ought to vote for a different party at the next election instead of rioting. If sections of our country did the same when Boris gets in (I would say with more justification as he never stood as a possible pm in a general election) I bet the ones on here supporting the jillets jaunne would be dead against similar protests here anti Boris.

Thats a bit of a leap for me but if you must- what about the thugs outside the houses of parliament who are bawling out "Stop B****t" or the Limp dems teeshirts?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back