Very clever door design from Auto Sleepers (1 Viewer)

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
In the theme of the original post, I must admit to being very impressed with the new features AS have included in your new van!
You have a double lock on your cutlery drawer, no doubt to ensure that any sharp knives can't cause injury on the road, even in the event of the drawer latch failing.

You then have another safety feature included on your bed slide, absolutely removing those awkward "damn, I slid the bed shut while I was sleeping" moments that all owners dread.

And last, but I'm sure by no means least, your drawers have a carefully designed and engineered panel gap for ease of opening. This need for easy-open drawers is of course neccesitated by the fact that you can't actually put the bed away and have sod all room in which to swing a cat.

Fabulous design decisions that we can only hope more manufacturers take note of in the new 2022 model range!

(On a a serious note OP, so sorry to hear of your problems and hope that they can all be resolved to your satisfaction ASAP)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I would too but with the cost of this motorhome I’m just ready to cry. This is not the only issue . It’s quite a catalogue of poor workmanship.
Gone down hill since they were bought out..BUSBY.

Jan 5, 2014
tetbury
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Expedition
Exp
Long time
I have had my AS Nuevo for nearly 8 years, from day 1 I had unacceptable problems,and it took the first 3 years to get things sorted out!
It seems nothing has changed at AS, still no Quality Manager doing their job. Of course your problems will only be one offs, no one else will have complained, and of course it's all down to Covid! Designers must have been working from home so will have only virtually seen what they have cobbled together. Production will have been working with the door open for ventilation of course, and so it goes on!
I vowed I would never ever buy another AS, but doubt any new van whatever the manufacturer will not have their problems. I also realised why so many van owners get rid of them after the 3 year warranty expires, something I probably should have done, but just couldn't face another round of hassle!! Good luck, I do hope you are able to sort things to your satisfaction, time is too precious to waste!

Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Grand Alpa
Exp
I feel so sorry for you, all the excitement of picking it up, and this is what you get. It's disgusting. I hope you get it all sorted (I'd send it back for a refund too. If its been put together so shoddily, what else is going to fall off, pop out, collapse etc) Good luck x

Jon B

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Darkest Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 540
Exp
Since 2015
So sorry to hear of all the problems..... given the number of issues in such a short space of time I'd be rejecting it - even if it meant waiting till next year to get what you want.

Do you think you would ever be able to trust this model even if the dealers put things right? My guess is you'd always be worried about the next fault to show up which would negate any pleasure you have in owning it.

Hope you find a resolution one way or the other (y)

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
I am considering a 2016 A/S Corinium, Has anyone got feedback please

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
There are obviously a lot of problems with your van which need sorting. Unfortunately the cutlery drawer issue is not new. We have just got rid of our 2019 AS Broadway EK with the same issue. I seem to remember that they had changed the door design and so the cutlery drawer issue emerged. Obviously bad design issues.
The other issue we found was that you cannot open the cupboard door beneath the cutlery drawer as far as would be useful because of the fly screen cassette for the door. It gets in the way.
There are a number of design issues with many AS vans - the upper cupboard doors made of two pieces of wood which come apart - for example.
Although to be fair, we liked our van and it wasnt because of these issues that we decided to change it.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Gods teeth, feel for you mate. We had a benimar as our first mohome. The drop down bed had a scissor mechanism that worked , well, just like scissors. So when you operated it , it cut all the rear electrics, amazing design and construction.
I just hope it doesnt turn you off mohomes completely.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I know our sixteen year old Autosleeper Rienza is getting tired and showing it’s age compared to newer models but the build quality and attention to detail seems to have been better in those days.
When we decided to buy a motorhome we were told Autosleeper were one of the better builders. From what I here on the forum I can’t see us buying anything newer than what we have now. It would spoil the enjoyment in motorhome life trying to sort out build issues.
Hopefully the Rienza will take us well into our retirement.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I know our sixteen year old Autosleeper Rienza is getting tired and showing it’s age compared to newer models but the build quality and attention to detail seems to have been better in those days.
When we decided to buy a motorhome we were told Autosleeper were one of the better builders. From what I here on the forum I can’t see us buying anything newer than what we have now. It would spoil the enjoyment in motorhome life trying to sort out build issues.
As you say, they used to be well built. We owned our 02 build AS from 2008 to 2015 and it was as new from the day we bought it to the day we sold it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Reject it while you can, that's what we did with ours, never looked back.
Totally agree with this.

I would be tempted to return it for a refund, but you would have to find another to replace it.
Not a refund, they want their old one back and compensation for the aggro.

Exactly our problem. We took long enough to decide on this one. We chopped a Adria Sonic in against this one. Went try to get that one back and it had sold within an hour of our bringing it in.
Even if it 'sold' within an hour (which I doubt!) it will not have left their premises so IMV they should tell the new purchaser that it is no longer available and return it to you with compensation.

I've had a fair few MHs and none, and I mean none, have ever been like that despite them being demonstrators, stock models etc, and been touted round shows etc. What would concern me is that is just the bodging you can see, what about all the stuff that is hidden ... no way would I be happy with that.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
We are also thankful we bought an older van. Our 2006 Rapido is as solid as a rock.
As Riverbankannie says,they seemed to be made better in the naughties. There doesn’t seem to be any form of accountability with manufacturers today,there is no effective trade body,and none of the motorhome reviewers have got any balls……they are all in it together like pigs at a trough. The reviews in MMM are a joke,they never criticise anything…why not? ….. because they need the advertising revenue. And the warranty system is pathetic.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Looking at the shoddy workmanship whilst they may be able to sort out the drawer runners properly and the fit of the fronts, the only way I can see that the cutlery drawer can be made usable with the hab door shut is to actually reduced the width of the drawer itself and put a 'filler' panel next to it, which obviously means you look drawer storage. If you DO decide to keep it and get the issues rectified make sure you totally understand the actual changes they will make (in writing!) and that you will be happy with them before letting them do so as once they start you will likely find that you are stuck with whatever they do.

anniej

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Herne, Herne Bay, Kent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Exec
Exp
20 years
Am reading this in bed in our 17yr old AS monocoque executive at Chase water Truro. We've had our problems but not mhome. Blowout on M20. Hazards flattened battery. Windscreen wiper blade came adrift in M3 but we wouldn't change our motorhome design. AS need to up their game.

Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
Yes very disappointing for you. Another way to look at the problems is to take each one and decide if it's a deal breaker. They are terribly annoying and shouldn't have happened but all are quite easy to fix. Good luck.

Popty

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
American RV,
Exp
Since 2018
Hi, like many funsters have said, I would return it to the dealer and demand a refund as its not fit for purpose, its your hard earned money, and if its a new moho you want then I would wait till next year and keep the cash in the bank, if you keep it, you will always be waiting for the next thing to go wrong or fall off, good luck with whatever you decide

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
we picked up our new Broadway on Thursday. By Friday it was back at the dealers.
Why? Because the design team had changed the door design to the point that it was impossible to open the cutlery drawer without opening the habitation door. It was suggested that a curve be cut in the drawer. Doh that was a real Homer moment.
AS are obviously aware of the fault as in their 2021 catalogue on page 40 is a picture showing the same door as we have fitted.
But on their web site it shows a completely new door design and handle. How is this going to play out? Watch this space.
Seems to me that the door is hung on the wrong side as I notice the door catch in the photo. A new door, charged to the manufacturers, would surely fixit unless that raises another issue!

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
This kind of thing reminds me of British Leyland in the 1970 and some other manufacturers. Its definatley a get your money back situation

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Reject it while you can, that's what we did with ours, never looked back.
Microbubbles

Absolutely! You've only spotted the obvious - imagine the hidden workmanship.

That's failure at every stage of production: design, assembly, 'quality' checking, and dealer PDC. Any dealer prepared to sell that vehicle certainly shouldn't be trusted to make it right.

Mar 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix
Exp
13 years
we picked up our new Broadway on Thursday. By Friday it was back at the dealers.
Why? Because the design team had changed the door design to the point that it was impossible to open the cutlery drawer without opening the habitation door. It was suggested that a curve be cut in the drawer. Doh that was a real Homer moment.
AS are obviously aware of the fault as in their 2021 catalogue on page 40 is a picture showing the same door as we have fitted.
But on their web site it shows a completely new door design and handle. How is this going to play out? Watch this space.
We have a similar design fault with our adria
We have a bike rack fitted and if we open the back window we can’t close it as it’s a push and click design.
We can open it about two inches and prop it open with an empty toilet roll holder 😩
My husband has to get the screw driver and undo the window catches if we occasionally forget 🤦🏻‍♀️

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Hi, like many funsters have said, I would return it to the dealer and demand a refund as its not fit for purpose, its your hard earned money, and if its a new moho you want then I would wait till next year and keep the cash in the bank, if you keep it, you will always be waiting for the next thing to go wrong or fall off, good luck with whatever you decide

Unfortunately we are heading into a period of inflation so unless you can get a fixed price by ordering right now (check the T&Cs carefully), the big risk is that a replacement MH may cost a lot more than the model you just got rid of.

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
I would love a new van then I see and hear stories like yours and think I would be better to keep our Ford Buccaneer we bought secondhand 12 years ago!A mate said to me if you had a new van would you have better holidays!The answer is obviously no! May not even be so good as if I had invested 40 to 50 grand in a new vehicle I would be paranoid about damaging it or worse still some one else doing it or having it stolen(having had one disappear)!I would certainly reject the vehicle.Even modifications or repairs are going to take ages!Sympathise!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back