Very clever door design from Auto Sleepers (1 Viewer)

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
You mean it had been moved round the back of the property.
Nothing sells that quick.
Pre Covid maybe
I know a couple that went to look at a caravan at a dealer , wanted to look at another 10 miles away , in the 30 minutes it took them to reject it the first dealer had taken a deposit on the phone

That happened to them twice , third time they looked and bought it

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Seems to me that the door is hung on the wrong side as I notice the door catch in the photo. A new door, charged to the manufacturers, would surely fixit unless that raises another issue!
See what you mean about the hinge but a least the drawer does open a bit.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have a similar design fault with our adria
We have a bike rack fitted and if we open the back window we can’t close it as it’s a push and click design.
We can open it about two inches and prop it open with an empty toilet roll holder 😩
My husband has to get the screw driver and undo the window catches if we occasionally forget 🤦🏻‍♀️
That is standard on all vans with a rear window if you fit a bike rack.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
While doing our homework to buy our first Mh we had set our heart on an Autosleeper, we had fell in love with the monocoque design on the older models and had set the AS brand on a pedestal. We had read on here about the build quality and thought yes that's what we want.
The only problem was that the newer models were beyond our budget as we were looking at a Euro6 engine because at the time all the talk on the news was about emissions and obviously the newer engine would hold its value better.
Then we came across an Elddis Accordo 105, it was 4 years old but it had a Euro5 engine. It ticked all the boxes except for the engine. So we had a look to see if there was a dealership nearby and discovered Vehicles for Leisure. They had a dealer special new 105 with amazing spec, so many extras that the standard model didn't have ........ and it was only £5.5k more than the 4 year old van we had seen originally, it was a no brainer except........ Elddis (and Swift) were getting slagged off on the forum about their build quality.
We took a chance and ordered a new one and waited over 5 months for delivery, all the time eyeing up every Autosleeper we seen. Those 5 months were the longest ever, we were excited but very nervous. Had we made a mistake? The most expensive purchase of our lives except for our home!
Well we've had it for 3 years (next week!) and our snagging list equated to one fault, the fridge wouldn't stay on for more than 30 minutes while on gas, something which could easily be missed on the PDI.
I can honestly say we love our van but still look at AS vans with envy, but all that has changed after reading this thread. I suppose every converter has good vans and bad vans, just glad to say that we got lucky. Sorry to hear of your woes :(

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
I am considering a 2016 A/S Corinium, Has anyone got feedback please
We have a 2017 Corinium Duo. One previous owner and our first motorhome. We saw it at the Peterborough Show and picked it up mid-October last year. Apart from an intermittent problem with the offside indicator which was fixed at handover, we had/have the following common/typical AS problems:
  • peeling finishing strips on the ceiling. AS, to be fair, sent me a new strip FOC and it seems to be better
  • the locker door internal veneer peeling off. Limited help from AS as it's 2nd hand and out of warranty but nothing a bit of glue can't fix
  • ironically, the cutlery draw came a bit lose. A simple tightening of existing screws plus the addition of a new extra screw has sorted that
Other than that, which can all be put down to wear and tear one might argue, no issues at all and I've given it quite a shakedown recently.

It came with a number of extras such as towbar and aircon, all of which work just fine. The Media Pack includes satellite, this did not work initially but after buggering about with it, I got it working and it's been fine since; there is a separate thread on that.

As with all purchases, research and asking questions, and being the biggest pain in the arse the dealer has ever met, will get all these things identified and sorted.

The owners' forum, ASOF, has a dated but useful forum if you need more brand-specific insight.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Personaly I would reject it, however a few hours and a competent carpenter could fix all the faults mentioned. Cut the end off the draw front and edge both cut parts. Fit the small piece in place so when draw is closed it looks correct. Replace ALL the runners for top quality versions, not the cheap crap used. Put shims in the drawer sides to ensure the drawers are centred. Finish ay rough bits to the standard you should have received

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
We have a 2017 Corinium Duo. One previous owner and our first motorhome. We saw it at the Peterborough Show and picked it up mid-October last year. Apart from an intermittent problem with the offside indicator which was fixed at handover, we had/have the following common/typical AS problems:
  • peeling finishing strips on the ceiling. AS, to be fair, sent me a new strip FOC and it seems to be better
  • the locker door internal veneer peeling off. Limited help from AS as it's 2nd hand and out of warranty but nothing a bit of glue can't fix
  • ironically, the cutlery draw came a bit lose. A simple tightening of existing screws plus the addition of a new extra screw has sorted that
Other than that, which can all be put down to wear and tear one might argue, no issues at all and I've given it quite a shakedown recently.

It came with a number of extras such as towbar and aircon, all of which work just fine. The Media Pack includes satellite, this did not work initially but after buggering about with it, I got it working and it's been fine since; there is a separate thread on that.

As with all purchases, research and asking questions, and being the biggest pain in the arse the dealer has ever met, will get all these things identified and sorted.

The owners' forum, ASOF, has a dated but useful forum if you need more brand-specific insight.
Thank you very much

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Personaly I would reject it, however a few hours and a competent carpenter could fix all the faults mentioned. Cut the end off the draw front and edge both cut parts. Fit the small piece in place so when draw is closed it looks correct. Replace ALL the runners for top quality versions, not the cheap crap used. Put shims in the drawer sides to ensure the drawers are centred. Finish ay rough bits to the standard you should have received
This is what I would do, request the dealer to pay at their cost for a carpenter to put it right and to the standard you want.

If not reject it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

If the veneer is peeling, cover the panel with thick brown paper and use a really hot iron to re-activate the glue

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Maybe I’m a bit biased, but I wouldn’t swap my Adria Sonic for any AS, in fact I’d be hard pushed to swap it for anything within my budget.
I really hope you get a good outcome to your woes😞
It’s a shame you couldn’t get the Sonic back as I find the Build and quality quite good but if the layout doesn’t suit it doesn’t matter how good the build is.
Good luck on getting sorted👍

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have a bike rack fitted and if we open the back window we can’t close it as it’s a push and click design.
We had that problem on our 2001 Hymer, I removed the window stays and made a small strap that keeps the window open.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Erm no reject the van it is not fit for purpose otherwise it ends up being a self build, not dissing selfbuilds but this is supposed to be a mainstream manufacturer, when else has been missed? certain heating water pipes not secured 'forgotten' insulation poorly fitted and sealed panels waiting to leak and damp occur.

I know I made the last bits up but having had a converted van in the past and almost every item needing re-working or replacing had we known the vehicle would have been rejected.

OP
OP
Microbubbles

Microbubbles

Free Member
Mar 13, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Broadwa
Exp
Fairly new
Maybe I’m a bit biased, but I wouldn’t swap my Adria Sonic for any AS, in fact I’d be hard pushed to swap it for anything within my budget.
I really hope you get a good outcome to your woes😞
It’s a shame you couldn’t get the Sonic back as I find the Build and quality quite good but if the layout doesn’t suit it doesn’t matter how good the build is.
Good luck on getting sorted👍
I loved the Sonic but due to its size it frightened my wife . As a result she never drove it . So on a long journey it meant I did all the driving. Hopefully with the Broadway she will have the confidence to drive. Well that’s what I hope anyway.

josephR

Free Member
Mar 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
burstner 590 lyseo
Exp
since 1978 on and off
Is it really worth all the pain to keep
obviously badly put together
you will keep having issues with it
send it back
you can always hire this year
when people can start going abroad again
there will be a flood of Motorhomes on the Market

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Out of interest did you get it on the maxi chassis as I was just looking at the spec and even the smallest one has naff all payload at 3500kg.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a similar design fault with our adria
We can open it about two inches and prop it open with an empty toilet roll holder 😩
My husband has to get the screw driver and undo the window catches if we occasionally forget 🤦🏻‍♀️
Its not a design fault, they don't anticipate that bike racks will be fitted to them all so they cater for the mass market who don't have them, it can be got round though as others have mentioned.

We once got our side window stuck open - hubby was cooking and we were parked next to a hedge, he pushed the window out but when later needed to close it he couldn't push it out far enough to do so, there was no option but to carefully move the MH so we could close it! :giggle:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Its not a design fault, they don't anticipate that bike racks will be fitted to them all so they cater for the mass market who don't have them, it can be got round though as others have mentioned.
Then why do they fit bike rack mounting points on the rear wall and offer bike racks on the option list.
Our first Hymer had a factory fitted bike rack and a rear window, didn't bother us just something you accept.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
All of our windows have "push and click" stays EXCEPT the rear window which has a "twist to lock" mechanism. Rather than have a few fixed positions this is totally variable and can be released by simply turning the lock in the opposite direction.
I never realised that these things would be a problem so I'm glad that Rapido did!

Gordon

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Then why do they fit bike rack mounting points on the rear wall and offer bike racks on the option list.
Some do, some don't.

Our first Hymer had a factory fitted bike rack and a rear window, didn't bother us just something you accept.
Well if you will go buying that foreign LHD muck! :LOL:

Sep 13, 2020
Somewhere surrounded by sea
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 1979
We know exactly how you feel Microbubbles. In 2018 we purchased brand new A/T Tracker (Trigano group same as A/S) and went down the road for couple of days testing, next morning on phone to dealers - the privacy strip on the toilet door is all splitting - oh that's alright just get some super glue on it. They made a right hash of replacing it and I demanded they redo it properly - which they never did. The batteries wouldn't hold charge and despite several emails between us and Sargent and the dealer attempting to sort, it was never resolved. Overhead cupboard doors would bang shut cutting head if you didn't duck in time. Shower scolding you when turning round due to tap being as bum level. We had two trackers fitted and was on it's third one within 18 months. We managed to part exchange for our present motorhome within 12 months and thank goodness we did, the dealer still has it for sale some 18 months later - shortage on s/h motorhomes!!?
Yes we tried the "this is not fit for purpose" angle but neither dealer, A/T or Sargent would react - hence "get rid within 12 months" but you'll loose an awful load of hard earned dosh!!!!!
Best wishes with however you resolve your problems

May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
Don’t expect any sympathy or help from AS if our experience is anything to go by! Our experience was “ we’ve got your money, so don’t give a sh1t” even the dealer told them they were wrong!

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Remember that the contract for purchase, and thus responsibility for faults is with the supplying dealer, not the manufacturer. Don't let the dealer fob you off with "I'll check with the manufacturer", "that's how it is" type excuses. It's the dealer's problem to provide a fit for purpose vehicle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back