Vanbitz? New system called Pandora camper? (1 Viewer)

Tcamper1963

Free Member
Jul 29, 2021
Hebden Bridge, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2001
Hi, has anyone heard of this system? It's expensive at about £1250...but maybe an alternative to vanbitz...

I am totally confused!

My van is £25k and it seems these systems are being fitted to motorhomes at least twice this price..

I like vanbitz but their Strikeback doesnt include immobilisation which as far as I can work out is another £200 on top of £599.

Is that correct?

Thanks Toby

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have spoken to vanbitz but found it confusing....

These are the things I want
1. Internal and exterior alarm
2. Immobiliser
3. Asset locator but not a tracker
4. The loop system I like for the bikes
5. To arm outside when inside
6. Lifetime warranty

I already have a steering wheel lock, a pedal lock, a swivel seat lock and an OBD lock....
Maybe counselling for paranoia would be more effective? 😊

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I have spoken to vanbitz but found it confusing....

These are the things I want
1. Internal and exterior alarm
2. Immobiliser
3. Asset locator but not a tracker
4. The loop system I like for the bikes
5. To arm outside when inside
6. Lifetime warranty

I already have a steering wheel lock, a pedal lock, a swivel seat lock and an OBD lock....
If you want to know how effective the VanBitz non starter is as an immobiliser, then have a read of this thread.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It's my belief that you are only buying peace of mind. I guess that, if you are really bothered, the more you spend on protection, the more at ease you might feel but try to overcome it if you can - there are plenty of companies out there willing to take your money in return for a bit of reassurance.
My house has been burgled in spite of an alarm and cctv. They could've been attracted by the security (suggesting something of value inside) or "off their mind". They did not care about locks or noise - just smashed their way through until satisfied with their haul. Police were not interested in pursuing the culprits - just issued a crime reference to use on my insurance claim.
£1k seems a lot to protect £25k. I'd just get sufficient to obtain insurance cover (which might not be much at all) and leave the worrying to them. Spend what you save on your holiday.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We haven't got either, we've got the following, having had it on a few MHs now we're more than happy with it:

For me there are two types of alarm.

One that supposedly secures against entrance and theft.
That's not going to happen unless you bar all the windows
Best option is to leave nothing of value in the van - Our most expensive items are our smart phones and they always go out with us.
Have a look around your van and see how much of value to a thief there is in there - Is there a £1000 worth left in the van?

Secondly its the theft of the van.
That would be very inconvenient so I make sure that wont happen.
Fit what you make you comfortable but don't forget some bits are huge and where do you keep them when moving.

If the worse come to the worse you are fully insured :drinks:
I only have the cheapest CAT 5 alarm, just enough to satisfy the insurance company

Upvote 0

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have had two vanbitz alarms fitted.

Now you may think Eddie and myself don't like each other, true. No only joking..

Why vanbitz?
Well the vans we have had had cobra alarm fitted, don't know by who, but they were poorly installed and kept going off.

So off to Vanbitz,

Firstly, the install is professionally done, you can't see how it's done, blue flashing lights, I'm assuming they take the dash apart, so very neat and tidy. A few new buttons on the dash, very neat.

The van was well looked after, Ash and Ian a good team, pre install meeting, regular updates, and a very good handover.

Now, after we had finished we drove off to Blue Anchor for a few days and I found an 'Orphan screw, great I thought, I can get one over on the grumpy old git, so we popped into Vanbitz on the way home,

Orphan screw in hand, saw Eddie, showed him the Vanbitz fail. He smiled and said 'have you had work done on your gearbox? I answered yes, he said this screw was one of the access cover for the gearbox, my heart sank, his technician fixed it..bugger..

Vanbitz know their stuff and Eddie isn't that bad.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I have had two vanbitz alarms fitted.

Now you may think Eddie and myself don't like each other, true. No only joking..

Why vanbitz?
Well the vans we have had had cobra alarm fitted, don't know by who, but they were poorly installed and kept going off.

So off to Vanbitz,

Firstly, the install is professionally done, you can't see how it's done, blue flashing lights, I'm assuming they take the dash apart, so very neat and tidy. A few new buttons on the dash, very neat.

The van was well looked after, Ash and Ian a good team, pre install meeting, regular updates, and a very good handover.

Now, after we had finished we drove off to Blue Anchor for a few days and I found an 'Orphan screw, great I thought, I can get one over on the grumpy old git, so we popped into Vanbitz on the way home,

Orphan screw in hand, saw Eddie, showed him the Vanbitz fail. He smiled and said 'have you had work done on your gearbox? I answered yes, he said this screw was one of the access cover for the gearbox, my heart sank, his technician fixed it..bugger..

Vanbitz know their stuff and Eddie isn't that bad.
Same experiences here. And the coffee machine (if you can call it that) does Bovril!! - always think of Jasper Carrot when I see it. Super campsite as well and Eddie always good for a chat.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
On my third van and had a growler and non starter on each of them so I can sleep soundly at night knowing it will be where I left it👍
I suppose it all boils down to “how much do you value your van?”
You can start by fitting the growler so you will hear the scumbags entering the vehicle!
Some immobilisers can be over ridden by crooks, but not the non starter, you could even fit a tracker so the nice lady can ring you up and tell you where your van is getting burnt out, or you can fit a non starter and keep it where you parked it!
You pays your money and takes your choice🤷‍♂️
Me? Growler and non starter every time 👍
Oh btw the last two vans have had alarm immobilisers ripped out and replaced by growler and non starter by vanbitz

Upvote 0
Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
If you want to know how effective the VanBitz non starter is as an immobiliser, then have a read of this thread.

Maybe I'm missing something but in the attempt to circumvent the alarm there is a good thousand pounds or more damage and labour involved in putting that van back together. Now you could put in an insurance claim but your excess might be £500 and future increases in premium for the claim that could affect other policies as well and your going to cough up for the repairs as the cheapest (albeit expensive) option.

The old adage "if they want it - they'll have it" applies even if they have to drag it off on a low loader even with the alarm blaring away.

Spending the money on insuring it with a respectable company and some well thought out mechanical protection may be another (cheaper) option.

None of the above detracts from what is obviously (from recommendations here) a quality product.

Upvote 0

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
If they want it they’ll (attempt) to take it…… true words but.

Im a believer in making sure the gits get bugger all and my van has more security features than Fort Knox and some are in sight before they attempt to gain entry and the other percentage is alarm and hidden items.

If it takes me 10 mins to unlock, enter passwords, remove items etc etc and I know the codes I bet time the thief attempts that they be in handcuffs or my friend Mr Baseball Bat visits.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2018
Funster No
MH
Malibu PVC
Exp
40+ years Caravanning & M/homes
Other specific motorhome alarm systems are available other than VB. We have fitted Out Smart the Thief {https://www.606060.com} to our last two vans - alarm, immobiliser and tracker combined - they boast they have yet to have lost a van!

https://www.606060.com

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Maybe I'm missing something but in the attempt to circumvent the alarm there is a good thousand pounds or more damage and labour involved in putting that van back together. Now you could put in an insurance claim but your excess might be £500 and future increases in premium for the claim that could affect other policies as well and your going to cough up for the repairs as the cheapest (albeit expensive) option.

The old adage "if they want it - they'll have it" applies even if they have to drag it off on a low loader even with the alarm blaring away.

Spending the money on insuring it with a respectable company and some well thought out mechanical protection may be another (cheaper) option.

None of the above detracts from what is obviously (from recommendations here) a quality product.
Perhaps you missed the point that a) they did not steal the van which resulted in a much lower insurance claim by several tens of thousands and b) coincidentally that immobilisation stopped the theft of something like half a dozen caravans as well. A matter of choice, but to quote…. “They wanted it but could not have it” which proved the value of the non starter to myself and very many others

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Other specific motorhome alarm systems are available other than VB. We have fitted Out Smart the Thief {https://www.606060.com} to our last two vans - alarm, immobiliser and tracker combined - they boast they have yet to have lost a van!

My insurance company would not even look at it when I asked. Not Thatcham approved tracker at the time so they would not touch it.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
If they want it they’ll (attempt) to take it…… true words but.

Im a believer in making sure the gits get bugger all and my van has more security features than Fort Knox and some are in sight before they attempt to gain entry and the other percentage is alarm and hidden items.

If it takes me 10 mins to unlock, enter passwords, remove items etc etc and I know the codes I bet time the thief attempts that they be in handcuffs or my friend Mr Baseball Bat visits.
If you kept less valuables in the van there would be no need for all this massively complicated and costly security

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Hi, Thanks for your answers but I was just asking if anyone had experience of the pandora camper alarm system, which it seems you don't....I am considering vanbitz as the alternative...but would want an immobilser...
I have a Metatrack system from VanBitz which incorporates an immobiliser together with a separate Tracker system on top of my Growler and Strikeback alarm system. As far as I am concerned it’s the bees knees!

You can keep Pandora’s box of tricks!

VanBitz are just up the M5 for me and came highly recommended.

Upvote 0

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016

We removed our outsmart the thief alarm. It is a particular configuration of the Gemini 931TMH alarm - at its heart it is a car alarm. We removed it because the ultrasonics kept alarming despite multiple attempts to fix it - including a complete replacement.

Eddie’s team removed the Outsmart the thief alarm in minutes when they fitted our growler. No false alarms since and much better deterrent. I defy anyone to be in the van with the alarm going off.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Stealing contents from the van is very different from stealing the whole van.
Nowt worth nicking…….

……have you ever been inside a van when the growler system has gone off? You won’t want to hang around to try and open the safe. Louder than an F4 Phantom on full reheat

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
I’ve put this on before my VanBitz system was fitted 2004 it keeps you safe while you sleep, when your out of the motor home , or parked on the drive . It’s fitted by people who know motorhome security and when you ring with question they can look you up on there system and sort you out.I paid for lifetimes cover and if it alarms my phone texts me .what more can you wish for,and it’s trouble free.

Upvote 0

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
If you kept less valuables in the van there would be no need for all this massively complicated and costly security
Nothing of value in the van bud security is put in place to secure the van itself not its content, unless you value contents more than the van itself.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back