Urgent help please - anyone speak dutch!!! (1 Viewer)

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Hi,

Mental last minute request please!!!

Someone has just accepted my offer of 9000 euros for this - but I can't get through on the number he has listed on his ad. He say's he will accept my offer to collect but I need to pay cash only.

Broken Link Removed

The number listed keeps coming up with "not recognised" even though I am dialling 003113..........then the number......

As I am trying to communicate via google translate it's a bit difficult.

I will need to take my daughter, the dog, and get the train down to Harwich and then across to Holland, if we leave tomorrow morning with overnight sailing we could be there Thursday to collect.

Anyone got any thoughts, as I don't want to go through all that if it's a scam, but to me, it looks a decent price and worth the effort involved.

Thanks you guys! ::bigsmile:

(Okay he's sent me the correct number now, but I still need a dutch speaker to phone him for me please?)

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well, I am doing nothing this week. But if the van is not what the seller says it is, she has the option to walk away with a loss of maybe 2 or 3 hundred pounds. If the van is what the seller says it is then she has saved £8342 less the cost of fetching it over and registration. So if all goes to plan, she should save somewhere in the region of £7500 and have a little adventure thrown in for free. That saving of £7500 will go a long way to sorting any problems that she may have. If she paid top dollar for a similar van in the UK of £15995 there is no guarantee that the dealer she bought it off would stand by any guarantee that she MAY be given.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Ask for a FUN volunteer to go with her, at no cost or risk to a FUNster offering their best advice. How much easier if she limited her search to the UK.

It's harder for her to buy than one of the FUNsters who just goes out and buys new. She's on a limited budget so if anything goes wrong it hurts far more.

I have this conversation with my daughter regularly. It usually ends up with dad picking up the pieces. Reasonably gladly.

I like this, but I'm not a baby, despite my lack of knowledge, I'm a 44 year old woman, who has done far more difficult things than buying a motorhome, despite my obvious lack of knowledge, communication skills and deafness!

(If my dear old dad was still here, he would just have said, stay at home and watch tv, it's cheaper - don't waste your money - but that's a Scotsman for you!) :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
I've come to this thread late, but I wish you all the best Pinky! Old vans usually have some sort of damp, but they can be fixed. Yes, it costs money, but hey ho - you only live once!

Hang in there, take care and I wish you all the best whatever you decide. Looking forward to meeting you somewhere along the line! :Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Thank you! I have now booked the MOT for the return journey to Newcastle, (at Newcastle council depot, which means hanging about for half a day there before "hopefully" driving it home). Hopefully I can get some help with the light changes somewhere along the way beforehand!

Will wait until Monday to have all the export docs etc. before I book the return journey.

So I think I'm more or less ready to go. Just need to book accommodation for the weekend.

I've spoken to the DVLA and Customs, so I think I've covered everything so far.

:thumb:

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
In my experience, a Mercedes Hymer with the one piece fibre glass roof and the aluminum frame construction does not often suffer from damp.

Mind you I have only had my 1987 Hymer 660 a few years...

Not all motorhomes are built from strips of wood and have joints sealed with gunge all over the place.

When I imported a camper van into Blighty it cost me £60.

JJ :Cool:

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Insurance

Hi A couple of years back I tried to buy a Dutch plated vehicle in holland. I drew a complete blank trying to buy insurance to drive it in holland in order to catch the ferry home. Once in the UK you can get cover for foreign plated vehicles for short period. Once here you will have to have it put on to UK plates, another pain in the butt which includes a UK mot which gives aggro regarding lights dipping correctly and other stuff. You then need to have the dvla inspect the vehicle before issuing uk plates and allowing you to insure and drive as normal. I think all this needs to be sorted inside six months as Mr Plod takes a dim view of foreign plated vehicles being driven by Uk residents for any length of time.
Is it really worth all the aggro??:Eeek:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I like this, but I'm not a baby, despite my lack of knowledge, I'm a 44 year old woman

The daughter in question is 40.

Deafness is a problem, as long as you know what to listen for you ears tell you so much about any vehicle. Not a lot you can do about that,

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thank you! I have now booked the MOT for the return journey to Newcastle

:thumb:

And you've not even seen it :RollEyes:

I shall light a candle for you.

Then if it all goes wrong you put the candle under the Hymer and claim off the insurance.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Hi A couple of years back I tried to buy a Dutch plated vehicle in holland. I drew a complete blank trying to buy insurance to drive it in holland in order to catch the ferry home. Once in the UK you can get cover for foreign plated vehicles for short period. Once here you will have to have it put on to UK plates, another pain in the butt which includes a UK mot which gives aggro regarding lights dipping correctly and other stuff. You then need to have the dvla inspect the vehicle before issuing uk plates and allowing you to insure and drive as normal. I think all this needs to be sorted inside six months as Mr Plod takes a dim view of foreign plated vehicles being driven by Uk residents for any length of time.
Is it really worth all the aggro??:Eeek:

It's not really "aggro" is it? :Doh:

You just need to follow the correct procedure, sort out insurance for both Holland and UK, de-register it in Holland and once back MOT first, then get it registered here.

It's not such a big deal! :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
The daughter in question is 40.

Deafness is a problem, as long as you know what to listen for you ears tell you so much about any vehicle. Not a lot you can do about that,

Yes, that's difficult for me..............once drove the old micra half a mile with the exhaust hanging off, thought someone was digging up the road until myself and the 11 year old finally worked out the noise was travelling with us! :ROFLMAO:

Never a dull moment!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Is there a Catch 22 here ? Will it pass a UK MOT with LHD headlights ?

All in hand...........will buy the stickey things on the boat back across and sort out a bulb for the rear foglight, then bat my eyes and some unsuspecting bloke who looks like he's good with his hands! :winky:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
All in hand...........will buy the stickey things on the boat back across and sort out a bulb for the rear foglight, then bat my eyes and some unsuspecting bloke who looks like he's good with his hands! :winky:

That worries me, you need Geo to confirm they can pass LHD headlights with sticky bits on.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Nice one Pinkie. :thumb: Great stuff. :winky:

It wasn't a MH, but DVLA never wanted to inspect a vehicle I imported, only the one they registered in the wrong category, ie PLG instead of PHGV, but only after I highlighted the error to them. :Doh:

Good luck with the continuing adventure. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Of course its not easy bringing a van in from Europe, if it was everybody would be doing it instead of going down to the local motorhome dealer and buying from what limited stock he has to offer and paying twice the price for it. The chances of finding a decent quality built older van at a UK dealers is very slim and even if you were lucky enough to find one, he would be reluctant to give any guarantee because of its age. On the other hand, its not as difficult as some would have you believe. Having brought vans into the UK from America, France, Germany, Spain and Holland I do KNOW what am talking about, its not just what I read on some forum. Insurance can be got over the phone from anywhere in Europe just on the chassis number. Regarding DVLA wanting to inspect, thats a new one on me, but hey ho what do I know.
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Wow, Pinkie, looks like everyone is rooting for you. Me too. Good luck, I can imagine how excited you are, and am impressed at how organised you are too.

Hope it all goes well, that looks a very nice Hymer to be starting off in. Even if there a few things wrong with it, it can all be fixed enough for you to enjoy it for a few years.

Allan

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Well I spoke to the DVLA today and at no time did the person on the phone say they wanted to inspect the vehicle, it obviously had to have an MOT done, and I complete their paperwork for registration etc., and send off to the DVLA along with a cheque and supporting documents. Not so difficult!

Upvote 0

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
Good luck Crazy lady, I wish you well. For what its worth, I purchased my 23yr old Hymer s660 whilst it was still touring Europe. It was about 6 weeks before I got to finally see and inspect. I went ahead with purchase and love it!!

Also as long as you have the black sticky beam splitters stuck on then it doesnt matter if your headlamps are LHD, for mot.::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well I spoke to the DVLA today and at no time did the person on the phone say they wanted to inspect the vehicle, it obviously had to have an MOT done, and I complete their paperwork for registration etc., and send off to the DVLA along with a cheque and supporting documents. Not so difficult!

One thing in your favour is that if you are quick and get it in and MOTd before your local DVLA office closes down at the beginning of November, it will save a lot of time and hassle dealing with Swansea. Dont forget that even though there is no VAT or duty to pay you will have to fill the VAT form in with the price etc you paid in Holland BEFORE they will let you register it. This form can be had by downloading from the Customs and Excise site. Fill it in and get it sent off as soon as the vehicle is in the UK.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hilldweller, I may be wrong, but I can never, once, remember seeing a post from you that offered wholehearted encouragement. I'm thinking of starting a book on this one - my money is on JJ's approach and I'm offering 5:1 against Hilldweller. Go Pinkie!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
That's funny!!! :ROFLMAO:

To be fair, he is clearly a more cautious man than me! (Although I'm not a man obviously!)

I take the view that if you sit about waiting for things, what's going to happen - nothing!

And that won't get me to Morocco for Jan/Feb when the weather here is bad. I need sunshine! :thumb:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm thinking of starting a book on this one - my money is on JJ's approach and I'm offering 5:1 against Hilldweller. Go Pinkie!

I hope that you are right.

I deal in cold hard logic, rare round here.

Now if the worst happens, how many FUNsters that blindly encouraged her will put their hand in their pockets and bale her out ? No, we'd get a chorus of "oh well full marks for trying, don't give up".

I hope you apply more logic in your beer tasting.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
One thing in your favour is that if you are quick and get it in and MOTd before your local DVLA office closes down at the beginning of November, it will save a lot of time and hassle dealing with Swansea. Dont forget that even though there is no VAT or duty to pay you will have to fill the VAT form in with the price etc you paid in Holland BEFORE they will let you register it. This form can be had by downloading from the Customs and Excise site. Fill it in and get it sent off as soon as the vehicle is in the UK.

Yes, the nice man from customs is posting me one out today! All organised, thanks. ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
I don't know about you, Pinkie, but I am starting to find things a bit patronising towards you.

If this was a man posting I wonder if the same responses would have been given.

Nevertheless, I hope it all works out and I hope we will see you at some of the meets. One thing you will get on Fun is plenty of good advice and help, regardless of your gender.:thumb:

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I don't know about you, Pinkie, but I am starting to find things a bit patronising towards you.

If this was a man posting I wonder if the same responses would have been given.

Nevertheless, I hope it all works out and I hope we will see you at some of the meets. One thing you will get on Fun is plenty of good advice and help, regardless of your gender.:thumb:

Please dont think I am trying to be patronising in any way I just like people who are willing to go the extra mile for what they want
And as I am sure you know the risks
Good luck again

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Totally agree with that actually, but I'm sure people don't mean to sound patronising! They just don't know me.

Yes, it's true I know nothing about cars/motorhomes etc. However, I have in my favour (despite being slightly "up for it/mad" in the nicest possible way) I am extremely well travelled, I might be a bit deaf, but it doesn't matter in this case, because we speak different languages! I'm reasonably intelligent, I spent quite a long time deciding what was the right van for me, months and months ago and settled on an older hymer. I just like them, like the look of them, and know it's the right one for me.

I know I could wait forever for an automatic under 3500kg with the correct layout to turn up here, and I would pay over the odds for it. So, yes, I know what I want and am prepared to go out and get it.

How many people on here can say that in 2012 they went by train from Dundee to Istanbul (via Amsterdam, Prague, Budapest, Bucharest) and toured Turkey with a 10 year old for 3 months?

Or this year drove a Nissan micra with a big labradoodle and 11 year old to Sicily then toured Italy for 6 weeks and back?

That's me - a weekend in Holland doesn't phase me AT ALL!

Nor does Morocco, or anywhere else in fact, just need a bigger thing to do it in! :winky:

Upvote 0
Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
I've only just caught this thread, all I can say is WOW, good on ya Pinkie, good luck, sounds like the first episode in a whole lot more adventures.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back