Free Member
Oct 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640
Exp
Clueless newbie.
Evening all,

bought a brand new Malibu pvc (on a 70 plate) and bar a few teething issues am delighted with it and itching to get it out of storage and onto a campsite somewhere!

Picked it up about a month ago and it’s obviously got a reg plate assigned to it and on it but I’ve yet to hear from the fine people at the dvla regards to receiving the V5. I’ve also tried to check its tax status via the Gov.uk site and it comes up vehicle details not found (Tax should be included as part of the sale) otherwise eek! I’ve been driving it untaxed (ooh, the shame!)

Do any of you fine people know if there are delays at Swansea? I’ll give it a few more weeks as I’m sure COVID as slowed everything to a crawl before I have a moan at the dealer but it would be interesting to hear others experiences at the moment.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Mine took about 3 weeks or more to show up on .gov.uk site even when there wasn’t a pandemic. As long as the dealer has sent the paperwork, properly filled in, it’s probably not their fault. I’d check with the dealer to make sure it has been sent off and sit tight for a couple of weeks.

OP
OP
Usually confused.

Usually confused.

Free Member
Oct 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640
Exp
Clueless newbie.
Good to know G7, what with covid and Christmas, it’ll probably appear on the system around Easter time :xlaugh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We collected our new van in June and V5 arrived within a week, daughters new car was collected end of October v5 arrived 1 week later.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If it isn't showing on the database as taxed and no reg then if you are driving it and stopped it is likely to be seized.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We bought our grandson his first car at the end of November/beginning of December. The garage notified the DVLA, on-line! While we were collecting it. He received the V5 within 5 days.

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
The dealer forgot! to register our van from new. I contacted dvla and a very nice lady dealt with it for me, including persuading them to add six months tax for my trouble.
Don't assume the dealer has done their part.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
If it isn't showing on the database as taxed and no reg then if you are driving it and stopped it is likely to be seized.

I find this very hard to believe. If the dealer has indeed paid the tax but its DVLA delays then they would be hard pressed to prosecute as you and the dealer have done everything required. Enjoy your new van and don't let frighteners like this stop you enjoying it if you want to.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Obviously Covid & Christmas could have caused a delay, but worth checking with dealer that there was no delay / queries from their end

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The V5C is less important than it being registered on the DVLA database (as said by gus-lopez ). When we bought our Carthago in 2019 it took over 2 weeks after the dealer submitted the registration papers for the vehicle to appear on the database (this is normal). We were told we should not take it off the forecourt before it appeared on the DVLA database. Similar advice was given when we bought a Hymer in 2015. Perhaps there are different rules during the Covid-19 restrictions. I would find out from the dealer when the registration documents were submitted and on what basis they released the vehicle before it was registered. Registration involves a lot more than paying the RFL, they check that that the VAT has been paid and that there is a valid Certificate of Conformity.

Don’t panic, you have it in storage and I doubt you will be blamed in these troubled times. However I would not take in on the road again before checking. I fear some dealers may be more interested in their cash flow than in whether the vehicle is legal.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
I find this very hard to believe. If the dealer has indeed paid the tax but its DVLA delays then they would be hard pressed to prosecute as you and the dealer have done everything required. Enjoy your new van and don't let frighteners like this stop you enjoying it if you want to.
Plod won't care if it's a dealer or DVLA at fault. If it shows on ANPR as not taxed or registered they have the option to impound it. Don't think they would with a 70 reg plate though.

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
With popular makes with high volume sales and with established and organised dealerships, everything is done electronically and without delay as it is with car dealerships.
With vehicles sold in smaller volumes such as Malibu, or in my case Laika, it's still a paper process with potential for delay at many points in the process - dealership efficiency varies!
My last two vehicles took two or three weeks to appear on the system and I was never stopped.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
The voice of doom! We bought a new van in March 2 days before lock down and applied to have the weight upgraded , Its taken until the 23rd Dec due to incompetence at the DVLA, and the company authorising the upgrade to get the paperwork sorted and finally sent off, HOWEVER looking on the DVLA website with the reg no they still have not sorted it , we sorned the van in April could not go anywhere as DVLA could not decide where we where in relation to tax, went to the New Forrest in Sept with the attitude * Not our fault here's the road tax but we can't pay as we don't exist" And finally fingers crossed sent the paperwork away first class to be signed for again in December and as to date no reply, I have thought of borrowing a set of foreign number pates so we can drive( I am insured, the insurance company have bugger all problem its just the DVLA! ) And relax....................

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
Could be inviting a problem by sending it to be “ signed for “ apparently those so classified one’s go to a different dept and have too wait their turn, which for some reason takes longer.
I got involved with the dvla a while ago, sent them a cheque with the relevant forms for a reg number change and after weeks of phone calls trying to find out what was happening was advised to send another cheque, but send it normal 1st class.
The following week I get a letter saying that the cheque was returned by the bank, this was the first one that we had put a stop on.
Needless to say that caused the poor guys at Swansea a real head scratch, but two weeks later the new documents turned up with a cheque for £30 and a letter apologising for the situation.
That was a day before our new motor home was due to be collected, no wonder our dealer did not want to do the reg transfer in the first place, and told us to do it as they had had no end of trouble before with the dvla.

OP
OP
Usually confused.

Usually confused.

Free Member
Oct 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640
Exp
Clueless newbie.
Just thought I’d update the thread.

Finally registered! I let nature take its course rather than badger dealers and the DVLA and it all went through. Took nearly 8 weeks but it seems that the DVLA are struggling a bit at the moment so if anyone is registering something for the first time, be aware that things are on the sloooooooow side at the moment and be patient - it’ll sort itself out.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Just thought I’d update the thread.

Finally registered! I let nature take its course rather than badger dealers and the DVLA and it all went through. Took nearly 8 weeks but it seems that the DVLA are struggling a bit at the moment so if anyone is registering something for the first time, be aware that things are on the sloooooooow side at the moment and be patient - it’ll sort itself out.
What date did they register it from?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back