Unregistered Campervan (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
What an awful situation you find yourself in. The DVLA website says to register a new vehicle you need:
  • a certificate of newness (or declaration of newness for imported vehicles), if the vehicle is new
Perhaps Compass and the dealer are wrong and the DVLA are correct. Check it out here
Perhaps you will need to exercise your consumer rights and notify them that you are returning the vehicle and require a full refund. If nothing else it might get the dealer to sort the problem out and learn to do his job properly.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I would be asking the dealer to register it on line, obviously whoever is dealing with it at DVLA does not know what they are about (not an unknown situation)

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
Apparently most motorhome dealers cant register online and are all on a postal system. The main issue seems to be the DVLA won’t recognise compass as a manufacturer and are insisting on paperwork which refers to it as an import. Obviously this paperwork does not exist as it is not an import ! DVLA are clearly wrong otherwise everyone with a new compass motorhome wouldn’t be able to register or tax it , but what the hell can I .do
ive been on phone constantly to the dealer, the manufacturer and DVLA and getting nowhere.
if anyone is buying a new motorhome Do Not part with any money till the vehicle is registered

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I have insured unregistered motorbikes (i.e. the reg'n number not yet on the DVLA computer) by usng the VIN number.

On the V5 and DVLA website for my Compass m/h it's shown as a VW (the base vehicle). No mention at all of Compass.

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
i have insured it and it’s on the insurance database but DVLA say as it’s not reg it’s not insured. Either way I can’t move it , and £44k is a lot of money to pay for an ornament on the drive !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
What a terrible situation. Has the dealer not sold any Compasses before? What happened then I wonder, perhaps you could ask? You have to stay on the phone to them.

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
Why am I (The customer) having to deal with this rubbish when I purchased a brand new vehicle from a main dealer

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Only thinking aloud, but is the problem that "Compass" is not recognised as as vehicle manufacturer and they are looking for the base vehicle manufacturer?

Apologise in advance if I have got the wrong end of the stick here as I do not have all information

Last edited:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
You are just letting it all roll over you. Indeed as Pausim says, its time to get very excited with someone. :gum:

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
No , the dealer says he is registering as he always does, I think the paperwork is Erwin Hymer Group, but it seems for some reason that the DVLA have got this wrong and won’t admit it.
compass themselves said they thought that it was somebody new at DVLA that doesn’t know what they are doing but that’s hardly helpful to me

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Have just paid subs so am now able to update everybody.
The nightmare continues. Still not showing on DVLA so was going to just sit it out and wait, however dealer rang me today to say that DVLA has returned the paperwork saying that they require a certificate of newness to be able to proceed. The CON is apparently needed for imported vehicles and not official conversions by manufacturers like Compass and Eldiss. The dealer spoke to DVLA but they are insistent.
I rang Compass themselves who say that there are no CON and that the dealer needs to tell DVLA they are wrong !
I seem to be going in circles, and meanwhile the vehicle stands in the snow on my drive as I am unable to drive it to its storage as the vehicle remains unregistered, untaxed and thus uninsured. I am literally at my wits end .
I desperately want to keep the vehicle but unless this resolves itself quickly fear I am having to instruct my solicitor to take action.
What a complete nightmare it has been buying a compass, surely they can lease directly with DVLA to sort out
You can insure the van using the VIN number while you wait for your registration number,

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have just paid subs so am now able to update everybody.
The nightmare continues. Still not showing on DVLA so was going to just sit it out and wait, however dealer rang me today to say that DVLA has returned the paperwork saying that they require a certificate of newness to be able to proceed. The CON is apparently needed for imported vehicles and not official conversions by manufacturers like Compass and Eldiss. The dealer spoke to DVLA but they are insistent.
I rang Compass themselves who say that there are no CON and that the dealer needs to tell DVLA they are wrong !
I seem to be going in circles, and meanwhile the vehicle stands in the snow on my drive as I am unable to drive it to its storage as the vehicle remains unregistered, untaxed and thus uninsured. I am literally at my wits end .
I desperately want to keep the vehicle but unless this resolves itself quickly fear I am having to instruct my solicitor to take action.
What a complete nightmare it has been buying a compass, surely they can lease directly with DVLA to sort out
Looks like Compass and your dealer don't have a clue.
From the DVLA website.

Supporting documents needed for all vehicles​

As well as documents to prove your identity, you must also send:
  • payment for the vehicle tax
  • the new registration fee of £55, if you have to pay it
  • a current MOT certificate, if the vehicle is over 3 years old (over 4 years old in Northern Ireland)
  • a certificate of newness (or declaration of newness for imported vehicles), if the vehicle is new
  • proof of vehicle approval if the vehicle is under 10 years old (unless it’s exempt from vehicle approval)
  • any documents you have relating to the vehicle, for example build plans if it’s a kit car
  • an insurance certificate or cover note (if you’re registering the vehicle to an address in Northern Ireland)

Edit:
I see Pausim has already mentioned it.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
No , the dealer says he is registering as he always does, I think the paperwork is Erwin Hymer Group, but it seems for some reason that the DVLA have got this wrong and won’t admit it.
compass themselves said they thought that it was somebody new at DVLA that doesn’t know what they are doing but that’s hardly helpful to me
Have you called the DVLA more than once ?

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
lenny, I have seen the CON but what do I do when even Compass say that one isn’t needed. When I rang DVLA they said they had no trace or record of the application, but they had already written to dealer and returned paperwork

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If DVLA are not recognising Compass as a manufacturer is it because Erwin Hymer Group UK Ltd is the manufacturer and Compass is just a brand name.

Usually confused.

Free Member
Oct 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640
Exp
Clueless newbie.
When I queried my (much delayed) application with the DVLA on their online query portal, there was a drop down box in the manufacturers section and my van (Cathago or Malibu) wasn’t listed, indeed I didn‘t see many motorhome brands on there so I bunged it in under its base vehicle (Fiat) and it was accepted.

Van is listed as ‘Fiat’ in the V5.

Maybe someone at the DVLA is new and has the ‘computer says no’ mentality.

Although this is for the dealer to sort.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
With all due respect, it is not for you to try and solve this. For the sum involved, I would instruct a solicitor now. Firstly to give the dealer official notification that you intend to reject the vehicle since you cannot use it through no fault of your own, and secondly give the dealer a legally reasonable timeframe to rectify the situation. I would also send a recorded delivery letter to the dealer stating that you intend to use the small claims court to recover all out of pocket expenses

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
Emjaiuk , yes I think that’s my only option, although I think I will instruct against Compass uk as i bought off their appointed dealer off their web site. I think I may get a little more attention if I draw publicity to the fact that between them, both the manufacturer and their appointed dealer representative can’t manage to register and tax their own product .

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
Our AutoTrail is registered as a Fiat. Make/manufacturer.

Under MODEL it is Auto Trail V Line 635. That is what is wrong with the application to register the CV40.

Get your dealer to reapply, he must have the V5 registration application form he had from either the manufacturer or the stocking company they use ( not usually released if on stocking until paid for ) not always though, it depends on the trust the finance company have with dealers.

If the paper work has been filled in incorrectly the manufacturer should be able to produce another. I think though the paper work could have been incorrectly filled in by the manufacturer, it’s not unheard of.

I spent 50 years with my companies registering hundreds of motor cycles and cars and it is 11 years since I retired but I do not think registering a new vehicle has changed much. Registering on line was available to our companies due to the higher numbers we dealt with but most likely due to the lower numbers that some dealers sell this is probably not possible.

I would take myself along to the dealership and ask to look at the paper work they have.

I hope it all works out for you.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Don’t know if this is any help.

We purchased a Sunlight Cliff 600 in September.

It is based on a Fiat Ducato Van, converted in Germany by Sunlight. On my V5C it is a ‘Capron’ 600.

The Capron name is on a lot of the paperwork.....but I’d never heard of it.

As the dealer registered it in the right vehicle name? 🤷‍♂️

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Don’t know if this is any help.

We purchased a Sunlight Cliff 600 in September.

It is based on a Fiat Ducato Van, converted in Germany by Sunlight. On my V5C it is a ‘Capron’ 600.

The Capron name is on a lot of the paperwork.....but I’d never heard of it.

As the dealer registered it in the right vehicle name? 🤷‍♂️
Interesting . If you google Capron 600 motorhome it’s your model of van that shows up in the search .

OP
OP
F
Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
Thanks for all comments, the dealer is 150 miles away so unable to visit. I think the best thing is to instruct a solicitor as the whole situation is making me ill. If the Dealer, the manufacturer or DVLA can not organise this between themselves I have lost all confidence .

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Our Hobby was registered originally as a Trigano. (Hobby isn't owned by Trigano. Someone at Brawnhills (sic) made a faux pas.

I wrote to DVLA and asked for it to be registered as a Hobby.
After a bit of tooing and froing I finished up speaking to Blodwyn in Swansea and was informed,
"We can't register your Hobby as such because we don't have a code for Hobby's"

It was agreed that the Hobby should be registered as a Fiat as that was the Base Vehicle.

So in the OP's case in similar circs. where his Compass is not registered, it should be registered as VW.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
lenny, I have seen the CON but what do I do when even Compass say that one isn’t needed. When I rang DVLA they said they had no trace or record of the application, but they had already written to dealer and returned paperwork
Fallais when importing our new van in 2018 we got a Declaration that vehicle is new V267 from DVLA and filled it out.
so your dealer should have had that form in his import pack.
the info required is :
All vehicle details
cyl capacity
revenue weight
body type
colour
type approval number
VIN
engine number
name and address of person, partnership or company who imported vehicle.

hope that’s of use?
good luck😊🤞🤞🤞

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back