Total and utter newbie (1 Viewer)

Jan 13, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Burford Duo
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi I'm Jules, married to Ross and we've just got our first motor home, we bought it yesterday and are picking it up next Monday.

The main reason we got one is that we have 2 dogs and wanted more freedom when going away with the dogs, plus we can go further afield as we can stop overnight to break up the journey, I'm thinking like on trips to Scotland.

We live in Hampshire, so down the bottom of the UK but we are looking forward to exploring more of the country and generally having fun and relaxing with the dogs.

I'm going to make some quilted covers (bit like fitted sheets) to pop over the cushions, so if the dogs get muddy/sandy/grubby the covers will catch the dirt not the upholstery, and after each trip I can chuck them in the washing machine and they'll be ready for next time we go away.

I'm thinking there must be a list of 'must haves' to pack, lists of 'dos and don'ts' and stuff along those lines........also I'm guessing there must be an art to packing so you don't get 10 mins down the road and have to pull over to stop something 'rattling'.

Anyway, looking forward to getting to know you better and picking your brains with beginner questions LOL

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hello Jules & Ross,

Welcome to the forum.

I dont think, especially having two dogs, you will look back and think, should not have done it.

From experience, there is no other way of finding out other than jumping in at the deep end.

Their are plenty of smart 4rses and know alls on here (myself included) who think they know the best way. But often, the best way is only their way and not yours.

Many Happy & Safe Travels.

TM

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There isn't a list of "must have's"
You'll know what you must have when you need it and haven't got it, you'll have it next time.
Only things which are a must are bottle opener and corkscrew....unless you're tea-total of course.
If you take everything you think you need you'll be carrying a lot of stuff you'll never use.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The only way to get rid of rattles when you are driving is to go to France.
Why can’t the British build a smooth road?
Anyway, welcome.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Use this cut to size for lining your cupboards and drawers - stops things slipping around.
Amazon product ASIN B004HL15M0(Can get cheaper from B & M).
And,
animated welcome group purple.gif

and to the doggies

animated hi-puppy-smiley-emoticon.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Welcome to the forum, you`ll get used to the rattles eventually (y)
We have one that just can’t track down once when van was totally empty - picking it up not a squeak but now despite moving items around each trip and packing like mad it’s still there - just behind you when you start driving it seems. Got rather fond of it now:D

:ello: And :welcome3:

Don’t worry you will do lots of daft things to start with - well we did and thought we were normal average intelligence people!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Hello and welcome. Rattles? Turn the radio up.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
:welco:

The most useful thing we have (after a paid for MHF subscription) is........

our packing list!!!!!! It has developed and evolved over time but if we stick to the list and double check we don't forget stuff (like bedding as happened on one occasion). The master list has sections for foreign touring, cycling and kayaking as not everything is needed for every trip :)

PS Have a couple of nights camping on your drive if you can as it is easy to pop "home" to get stuff you have forgotten.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
:HelloThere: and good luck, you'll love it.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:hiya:
I think you will find we all cover up all that lovely upholstery, that looks so good in the showroom or the brochure, with a collection of mismatched throws and other washable fabrics :D

OP
OP
Julzie
Jan 13, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Burford Duo
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for the welcome :D We're picking up the MH on the 29th of this month, can't wait :Grin::Grin:

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
A very warm welcome to the motorhoming community. For me, working out what you need and what you can live without is all part of the fun. And it's always a personal thing.

I truly thought I liked to travel light but, looking at the spreadsheet for our latest 33-day jaunt to Spain/Portugal, I can see it runs to hundreds of items (albeit a lot of them are very small) -- it's really a checklist to make sure we don't leave without something vital that might take days to track down a replacement for. Each year we ditch some items that never saw the light of day and add new ones that look like they might change our lives (they rarely do!). It's an ever-evolving inventory.

As for rattles, my packing leaves a lot to be desired. Luckily a lot settles down and finds its place after the first fifty miles :) Sometimes, a stop is required to cure the worst offenders. Plate separators made from cheap, thin foam bought from the Range's arts and crafts section now keep the crockery quiet at least.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Welcome - I feed dog dry food and keep large bag in plastic container with a small feed container which i top up every week or so - so if you go away for a couple of weeks or more you can carry your own dog food and if bag falls over biscuits dont go everywhere

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
:welco: to the house of FUN from a very Sunny Fareham. ;) We actually bought our MH around the dogs. We have a coachbuilt MH with bunks at the back which the dogs use and we have the rest - Well the rest that our Chocolate Labrador leaves us:rolleyes:.
The only essential items to pack is a notepad and pen, so you can note down - ahh should have brought....(y)(y) so next time you will remember. Just use and enjoy it and all the rest falls into place. :cool::cool:

Deepdale

Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Under discussion.
Exp
Newbie, tent graduate.
Hello and welcome from a fellow newbie.

I'm another Hampshire Hog who's invested in a mobile kennel. Not being as crafty as you I rely on throws to save the cushions, I've found old door curtains work well too.
I made my peace with a grubby floor (& sent a thanks for the laminate) on our first trip away, but I intend to use the awning next time it's wet!

I'm just about to invest in a load of micro fibre towels for the dogs to save space. But someone else may have a better solution for the dog drying issue.
Drive safe
Ceri

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back