LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We were in France and decided to compare toll to non toll roads. One 'option' gave an arrival time 90 mins quicker on tolls..

Question is, I suspect there is little difference in the costs, of Tolls v Non tolls...

I know there is an argument that you can take your time, etc etc.. But is the 'savongs' worth it? After a bit small Franch villages, roundabouts etc can get rather tedious..Plus, constant gear change etc etc...Wear and tare on he driver..

Thoughts?

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I think it depends on the road in question, Rouen to Tours via the N10 is a bit of a pain with lots of roundabouts but from Poitiers to Bordeaux it is almost all dual carriageway and no real difference in time compared with the toll road. The saving on the latter is well worth it.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
We use the toll roads most of the time now,unless we want to look at a particular area but as we get older prefer to get on and not dawdle lol.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We much prefer non toll roads. We are never in a hurry and I quite like driving through villages and small towns, seeing the countryside instead of boring motorways.
I guess you need to decide between getting there a bit quicker or see a bit more of the country.
Cost and gear changing doesn’t really come into it for us, but I do find roundabouts tedious.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I think the main factor is what is your tour purpose , just small moves and take in the general ambience or get somewhere to see something in particular , The first would benefit from using non toll the second could well benefit for the speed of covering distance to achieve the aim . Thats how I work out toll or non toll when I travel plus whether the non toll route is feasible from a size/weight etc pov .

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
If, IMO you choose the right route, Non Toll routes can save a significant amount of money and they still allow a lot of toll free motorway/dual carriageway to be used.
The first link below is a perfect example.

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

The next link allows one to make their own routes and by selecting caravan in the options section and selecting Tolls, will be able to calculate toll fares for a class 2 motorhome.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

Toll fares generally increase every year and now Germany has introduced tolls on some of it's motorways, more and more drivers will be considering non toll routes.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
we did non toll roads to lake garda and toll roads Inc mont blanc tunnel back
was over £200 more expensive on way back. if i did it again would be non too each way. But at least we now done the tunnel. suppose its personal preference speed vs cost

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
I’m still in a quandary about toll roads. As some of you know we are leaving in just under 2 weeks to deliver a motorhome to my mother in law in Portugal and obviously want to do it as cheap as possible. The eurotunnel is booked £56 and have put the route into TomTom avoiding toll roads. We are aiming to do it in 3 days. I would use the toll roads if not to expensive but as we’ve never done it before it’s a bit mind boggling.
I have been advised to take the toll road at the Pyrenees I’m guessing it will be clearly signed

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you have to go significantly out of your way to avoid tolls then yes the cost can sometimes be comparable, Usually I just plan a route "avoiding tolls" and if it looks half sensible I follow it. Also remember that for anybody class 3 or 4 the tolls can be plus 50% or even double Class 2.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I’m still in a quandary about toll roads. As some of you know we are leaving in just under 2 weeks to deliver a motorhome to my mother in law in Portugal and obviously want to do it as cheap as possible. The eurotunnel is booked £56 and have put the route into TomTom avoiding toll roads. We are aiming to do it in 3 days. I would use the toll roads if not to expensive but as we’ve never done it before it’s a bit mind boggling.
I have been advised to take the toll road at the Pyrenees I’m guessing it will be clearly signed
I think 3 days is a bit optimistic really, depends which part of Portugal you want to be to but don't see why you would cross the Pyrenees wouldn't crossing the border at San Sebastian and then Northern Spain be better.

Martin

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We never use tolls, we pay road tax and refuse to pay any more out. Call me tight but it's very satisfying to arrive in Benidorm knowing you haven't paid the robbing b******s a cent in tolls.
The only difference is time (which we have plenty of) none toll will be slightly longer, I only drive at 60mph on the duel carriageways anyway.
Diesel use is about the same, unless of course you're in a hurry and you can then virtually watch the diesel gauge drop at 70+mph.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I don't care, every time I get to a toll barrier it magically opens - free !!

:rofl:...........................:doh::doh:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
A lot depends on how far you want to travel on your trip.

If you're just getting off the ferry and bimbling around Normandy or Brittany then toll roads are largely irrelevant.

If you arrive at Calais and you're heading south, or into another country and you've a limited time to do it in, you might as well get cracking down the fastest autoroute you can find, toll or otherwise.

As far as I'm concerned I'm paying my toll for a better quality of well-maintained road surface and a faster, more relaxed journey with fewer other vehicles to dodge around. I've travelled enough in France to know what avenues of Plane trees and the typical village looks like (ie deserted and full of speed bumps, roundabouts, and 20 mph speed limits) so I'm happy to leave the 'real' France until I come off the autoroute near to my destination. I'm sure I'll be less frazzled after 6-7 hours on a toll road than doing the same time on a RN or smaller, and let's face it I'm on holiday. I can save money by using aires.

We never use tolls, we pay road tax and refuse to pay any more out.

For 10 bonus pedant points, you pay Vehicle Excise Duty based on your vehicle's excise classification and the CO2 emissions of its engine, and the money goes into a general purpose government spending pot, not one that is earmarked for road maintenance. :)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I think it depends on the road in question, Rouen to Tours via the N10 is a bit of a pain with lots of roundabouts

I returned Tours to Rouen 2 weeks ago in my Class 2 m/h using the autoroute because my son and his wife (and dog) were pushed for time (jobs to return to, so forth) and were having their first ever holiday experience with their caravan. (A baptism by fire one might say).
The toll charge was 40 Euros.
It seems that (having lots of open space) when the French construct bypasses they install roundabouts at each of the 4 compass points around a town/village to keep the traffic away from the centre, and then install quite severe speed humps in the urban centre roads. The roundabouts and the speed humps (if you go through the town) are a pain in the m/h.
I'm never in a hurry, usually travelling at 50 to 60mph, so I wouldn't use boring and featureless Autoroutes again.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Not been this year Dave, but last year we noticed a lot more 20mph equivalent limits coming in through the centre of quite a few villages we had to pass through. If the gendarmes were not in the 20 with radar, they were just outside on the 70kph bit they love to have. There seemed to be a lot more enforcement in 2016 than 2015. I don’t know if this is the case this year. So, speed was limited, it did mean as you say more wear and tear, and it seemed to take longer to get somewhere.
For short 2 or 3 hour planned moves the plod was fine, you do see more, and things you never knew would be there, and it just enables you to have a stop at for 15 minutes to appreciate the culture/scene.
If we are driving any distance then we bite the bullet and pay, usually at the start and end of the break. There are some surprisingly pleasant toilet and picnic only motorway aires over there for that lunchtime break and coffee breaks, as you will be aware. We rarely stop on the full facility service areas.

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
I think 3 days is a bit optimistic really, depends which part of Portugal you want to be to but don't see why you would cross the Pyrenees wouldn't crossing the border at San Sebastian and then Northern Spain be better.

Martin
Now I’m even more confused :D I just put the destination into satnav and follow it.
I did change it to include toll roads and obviously it saved time but when I looked on the Michelin guide it was around £300 in tolls.
It’s certainly going to be adventure.
Wine certainly has a lot to answer to as we agreed to deliver over to Portugal after a few bottles.
We have a week in total but want to spend a few days with my mother in law and then fly back.
I’m sure it will be character building and memorable :whistle::LOL:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Now I’m even more confused :D I just put the destination into satnav and follow it.
I did change it to include toll roads and obviously it saved time but when I looked on the Michelin guide it was around £300 in tolls.
It’s certainly going to be adventure.
Wine certainly has a lot to answer to as we agreed to deliver over to Portugal after a few bottles.
We have a week in total but want to spend a few days with my mother in law and then fly back.
I’m sure it will be character building and memorable :whistle::LOL:
Three days = lots of tolls and lots of hours driving per day, a week or even 5 days would make it a lot more enjoyable, but there again we don't do more than 55 mph.

Martin

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Make sure you do take the toll road over the Pyrenees, the non toll road is abysmal around the Bayonne area. Best 20 € you will spend. Central Spain non toll roads are fantastic
Phil

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Make sure you do take the toll road over the Pyrenees, the non toll road is abysmal around the Bayonne area. Best 20 € you will spend. Central Spain non toll roads are fantastic
Phil
That’s what I wanted to hear, will it be obvious when to take the toll road when I get near to the Pyrenees ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Phil
I see which bit of the Pyrenees we are talking about, it's not really much of an up so I thought it didn't count, anyway yes we did all that route without any tolls and YES I might agree that its worth paying the last bit to get around Biarritz Bayonne and San Sebastian:LOL: that's worth it even for me a time served scrooge.

Martin

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
As others have said, mix it up, so many speed restrictions, roundabouts and speed bumps even in the tiniest villages - can become hard work.

Get a Sanef tag for France - great for RH vans with no passenger

I always take the tunnels through the Pyrenees - worth every penny.

Spanish tolls much cheaper.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
we did non toll roads to lake garda and toll roads Inc mont blanc tunnel back
was over £200 more expensive on way back. if i did it again would be non too each way. But at least we now done the tunnel. suppose its personal preference speed vs cost
Tbf, I nearly fell for the Mont Blanc tunnel until @jonegood told me the costing and suggested to use the Simplon Pass a day there's an Aire type on the top. Beautiful scenery and saved loads

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
What a lot of people don’t realise is that a sat-nav calculates your journey on the relevant speed limits of the roads you will go on and on most toll roads are 75-81mph so it appears that it will save you time, however some people still poodle along at 55-60mph so not a lot of time saved, then if you drive faster to say 70mph you will see the fuel gauge dropping rapidly adding to toll costs plus I think it is dangerous to drive a 4+ ton vehicle faster then 70mph....

I sometimes wonder why some people have Motorhomes if they drive as fast as they can to get to a spot where they sit for a month then back home as fast as they can.... surly car/plane and an apartment would be cheeper and easier...?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The route in the above link I have posted would be perfect for your journey to Portugal. Why would you want to go via the Pyrenees?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I’m still in a quandary about toll roads. As some of you know we are leaving in just under 2 weeks to deliver a motorhome to my mother in law in Portugal and obviously want to do it as cheap as possible.

In response to your post above.

Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is for an award winning database about France. It’s big and with a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. The whole route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large.

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: We avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (about 2.50 euros). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (Fuel costs approx. €126.72. (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.20 per ltr. 3.5T motorhome)). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last tollbooth and crossing the river. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

Finally, probably the best off line maps ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back