Time on batteries (1 Viewer)

Apr 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I am a newbie
We are going away this weekend fri to mon no hook up. PVC two 100ah batteries and 200w solar. My concern is with a compressor fridge and probably needing the heating on 24hrs plus the fact we will get negligible solar, will we run out of power ?

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Maybe!
Hookup at home on Wednesday so batteries fully charged and fridge down to temperature. Gives u a fighting chance but depending how much insulation u have and how cold it is outside u may be going home on Sunday.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
The fridge will be the issue, if its a truma heater on the new system you could cope.
use Natures fridge :)

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Plenty times I leave gear to keep cool in the garage/locker and not in the fridge.
Beer mostly :)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
We are going away this weekend fri to mon no hook up. PVC two 100ah batteries and 200w solar. My concern is with a compressor fridge and probably needing the heating on 24hrs plus the fact we will get negligible solar, will we run out of power ?
With this weather, for only 4 days you could keep the fridge stuff outside but depending upon where you're going be careful it doesn't freeze. ;)

OP
OP
T
Apr 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I am a newbie
Thanks for your comments. The van is a S&L motorhomes Apollo one year old so should be insulated well. we were away last weekend on hookup. We only needed the truma4 heating on number 14 to keep warm. I am planning to Hook up at home on wed and put the fridge and heating on hopefully this will give us a head start when we get to site

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Without a doubt.............unfortunately.

As suggested, chill the fridge down first on EHU at home then stick in a couple of big bottles of frozen water, or milk, and only open the door when necessary. You'll possibly get away with not needing to operate it at all once on site. Some folks use the same technique when on a 3-4 day ferry crossing, with acceptable results.

This will conserve your (useable) 100 Amps of battery power for the more important heating fan, (and TV if one in use). ;)

Good luck, and have a safe and warm weekend away. (y)

Jock. :)

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
As at home we always have the freezer and fridges full open doors as little as possible. Cheaper to run and always have a stock of food should an emergency occur. Remember Lenny in Germany? Check for gall stone before you leave 😂😂😂😂

OP
OP
T
Apr 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I am a newbie
I like that idea of the frozen water bottles. We probably won’t need the fried after sat night

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Buy a passive coolbox and keep it outside. We've got a coleman xtreme and it's good, I chuck some ice cubes in it in summer and water drains out the bottom 👍

Also you won't need the heating on when you've been cooking.

OP
OP
T
Apr 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I am a newbie
Yes got gas truma 4e combi boiler. Just an other thought. If I turned the fridge of on fri night would I last out ok. I think the gas only uses about 2amps so might survive on that regime. It will be on very low setting at night

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You will propably just survive if you are careful, I don't understand why you would want the heating on 24 hours.

The Truma will take around 5-6 amps on startup but once the van is up to temperature will drop to about 1 amp (a bit more if you have the classic controls rather than the CP plus).
Idealy you don't want to run your batteries below 50% (unless they are Gels). 24 hours with the heating on you will be below 50% and that is without anything else running.

You say the van is well insulated so you shouldn't need heating at night and if it's sunny you shouldn't hardly need it during the day.
By not running the heating at night & during the day the fridge won't have to work so hard.

200 watts of solar won't do much at this time of year, if you have a good quality MPPT regulator on a bright sunny day with clear blue skies you may get around 10a/h on the south coast, less the further north you go.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
You will propably just survive if you are careful, I don't understand why you would want the heating on 24 hours.

The Truma will take around 5-6 amps on startup but once the van is up to temperature will drop to about 1 amp (a bit more if you have the classic controls rather than the CP plus).
Idealy you don't want to run your batteries below 50% (unless they are Gels). 24 hours with the heating on you will be below 50% and that is without anything else running.

You say the van is well insulated so you shouldn't need heating at night and if it's sunny you shouldn't hardly need it during the day.
By not running the heating at night & during the day the fridge won't have to work so hard.

200 watts of solar won't do much at this time of year, if you have a good quality MPPT regulator on a bright sunny day with clear blue skies you may get around 10a/h on the south coast, less the further north you go.
Apologies for hijacking the thread.......

Lenny - I have just bought the CP Plus control unit to replace the classic control of my Truma 4E and given that the CP unit only requires something like 30 to 60mA(from memory) I'm assuming that you're implying the Truma boiler is more efficient when controlled by the CP unit. Genuinely interested as to why - is it down to the CP having a microcontroller and thus better able to control the temp?

There should be a button to create a new thread for nerd questions like this - sorry to the OP again!!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Apologies for hijacking the thread.......

Lenny - I have just bought the CP Plus control unit to replace the classic control of my Truma 4E and given that the CP unit only requires something like 30 to 60mA(from memory) I'm assuming that you're implying the Truma boiler is more efficient when controlled by the CP unit. Genuinely interested as to why - is it down to the CP having a microcontroller and thus better able to control the temp?

There should be a button to create a new thread for nerd questions like this - sorry to the OP again!!!
The CP Plus does a far better job of control the fan and the boiler temperature. Being able to select the temperature you want in the van is far better than approx temp on the old dial and if you make use of the offset you can get it quite accurate.
Biggest difference I notice is that once the van is up to temperature the fan speed drops to a lower speed than with the classic controller. In my van once the speed has dropped I can't hear the fan and the outlet from the vents is a very gentle airflow & maintains the temperature in the van perfectly.
In this mode the current draw is 0.8 - 0.9 amps compared to around 1.25amps when using the classic controller.

Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have you considered a b2b charger.Have a great few days away.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Also having a compressor fridge, and 200W of solar panels, which are pretty useless at this time of year, we managed 5 nights a couple of years ago in freezing conditions in the Dales, by being very economical with electrical consumption, including no TV use and reading via Kindle self-illumination after dark. We packed the freezer compartment with freeze blocks during the day and distributed them within the main fridge compartment before turning it off overnight.

I have since fitted a B2B charger, and found that with an hour or more driving each day we can pretty much carry on indefinitely without having to worry about an odd hour or two of TV or internal lighting, but of course if you are static on a pitch for several days with no intention to move, that is not going to help!

These are the conditions where a calibrated battery monitor such as the Victron BMV or Nasa BM comes into its own, as you have a pretty good idea of the state of your batteries at any time, and know how much further you can safely discharge them without dropping below 50% SOC or whatever limit you might choose to impose.

OP
OP
T
Apr 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I am a newbie
Thanks for all your ideas. Think will use the frozen bottle idea and the cooler box outside for beers. After all only away three nights. Interested in the BVM. Any chance of a bit more info.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Thanks for all your ideas. Think will use the frozen bottle idea and the cooler box outside for beers. After all only away three nights. Interested in the BVM. Any chance of a bit more info.
You could start with this thread:

Search the forum for "BMV" and I'm sure that plenty more will come up.

Victron now make a "SmartShunt" which is the same battery monitor without a physical gauge, needs to be read via an app on your phone. The "traditional" BMV is available as a physical gauge only or a bluetooth enabled gauge that can be physically read or interrogated via the phone app as per the SmartShunt.

Nasa battery monitors perform the same function, but have bigger displays - perfect for people with poor eyesight, but iut does mean you need more real estate to fit them :LOL: . They also have a bluetooth device similar to the Victron SamrtShunt.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The solar panel is a conundrum. I have a 100w panel on the van, today the sun will only rise to 12 deg above the horizon at midday and it rises at 8.30 setting shortly before 4.00 pm. I'll be lucky to get anything from the panel even if the sun does shine (it's 100% overcast at present). It certainly does not produce enough power to keep both batteries charged, I calculated I should need 400w of panel to do that and the roof ain't big enough.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back