May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Found it, on the Autotrail V-line owners group
He used 20mm outside diameter rubber pipe cut to a length of 42mm and filled it with silicon and left it for a week to hardened.
He then pushed on a 19/20mm black ferrules for table and chairs legs end caps stoppers, and then pushed into bumpstop.
Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Found it, on the Autotrail V-line owners group
He used 20mm outside diameter rubber pipe cut to a length of 42mm and filled it with silicon and left it for a week to hardened.
He then pushed on a 19/20mm black ferrules for table and chairs legs end caps stoppers, and then pushed into bumpstop.
Hope this helps.

Cheers Terry but I couldn't fit an Autotrail mod to something as exclusive as a Globecar; that would be like fitting a Fiat 500 bumper to the front end of an Enzo Ferrari :xgrin:

You know I have a thing for Autotrail - I'm sure you were just testing me:xrofl:

Thanks good mate :xThumb:

Andrew

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A bit of advice needed please,

I'm not sure if any other PVC owner has this problem but it appears that my rear doors can't open fully to the bump stop position as if they do (In wind etc), then the van body will smash the window plastic.

I hope the pic below is clear enough but if you notice the bump stump (lower bumper) is actually a good distance away from the door when the window is touching the van body (just above the light cluster).

This is not a good design so I wonder if Globecar will change the windows as this layout is not exactly fit for purpose IMO.

Has anyone else experienced this problem as I'm sure that this window style comes with the standard Campscout vans besides others.

TIA,

Andrew

View attachment 274237
The doors on our 2013 Ducato (not a Globecar) can only open to 90° as there is a metal link to stop them going any further. The black plastic thing below it in the picture is a conduit for electric cables.

DSC_0027.JPG

I assume this either has been removed or perhaps no longer fitted for some reason on Globecars?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
The doors on our 2013 Ducato (not a Globecar) can only open to 90° as there is a metal link to stop them going any further. The black plastic thing below it in the picture is a conduit for electric cables.
I assume this either has been removed or perhaps no longer fitted for some reason on Globecars?

We have a retainer that stops the doors going back too far (Citroen Jumper/Relay 2018) but that can be released - seems pretty strong so wind shouldn't force it back but extended stopper would give option to open the doors back further if required.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC

View attachment 274622

Our Campscout also has the metal link which stops the doors at 90 degrees but this can be released using the black push button on the door as shown in your photo.

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
My 2013 Pilote rear doors open beyond 90degrees by pressing the black button in door panel.
If you get a good gust of wind that’s forces the door out of your hand it will bend the bar.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've just popped out to take a couple of pics and you can see the difference in size between the window apperture and the actual window unit itself; a huge difference.

View attachment 274254

View attachment 274255
One advantage of the larger window 'glass' is that if it's raining and you want the window open it stops rain getting in at the sides, also similarly if you cover the 'glass' when open in sunny weather, you get more of a sun shade than the 'same size as hole' ones.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
One advantage of the larger window 'glass' is that if it's raining and you want the window open it stops rain getting in at the sides, also similarly if you cover the 'glass' when open in sunny weather, you get more of a sun shade than the 'same size as hole' ones.

Some really good points there Mel :xThumb: I've had a look at the bump stop and it should be easy to extend them by an inch or so.

The large blacked-out windows against the maroon paintwork do look good though.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Some really good points there Mel :xThumb: I've had a look at the bump stop and it should be easy to extend them by an inch or so.

The large blacked-out windows against the maroon paintwork do look good though.
We like the flush windows that you get with the EP versions but they out of proprtion/too small for the campers, especially on the rear doors.

I'm not worrying about extending the bump stops on ours as I sometimes open the rear doors 180 degrees when at home if I need them out of the way, but other than that its usually just 90 degrees so not likely to do it when away especially since when opened 180 degrees they don't have a 'fixed' retraint and would likely swing round and smack me or cause damage if the wind caught them.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
We love our Campscout Revolution but have a couple of questions which we hope you can answer.

Ours is the 2015 model, which has the decals around the top, most of them are plain grey and they are fading. We have noticed that newer models don’t have all these decals, how easy is it to remove them and has anyone tried and succeeded?

The plastic wheel bumper has some scratches, how easy is it to remove them and does anyone know of a product which will bring the plastic back to condition.

Ginny and Mike

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
A few folk have posted re the removal of decals on various makes of van
Seams to be a fairly monotonous task and you can be left with some ghosting that's a pain to polish out

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We love our Campscout Revolution but have a couple of questions which we hope you can answer.

Ours is the 2015 model, which has the decals around the top, most of them are plain grey and they are fading. We have noticed that newer models don’t have all these decals, how easy is it to remove them and has anyone tried and succeeded?

The plastic wheel bumper has some scratches, how easy is it to remove them and does anyone know of a product which will bring the plastic back to condition.

Ginny and Mike

Hi Ginny and Mike,

In theory your van is still young in years so if you remove the decals then you should be able to restore the paint to its original condition, within reason.

Before I go any further, you've mentioned that your decals have faded but can you post a pic up as they may just be contaminated, i.e. surface corrosion. Also, what colour is your van?

In principle the removal of decals can be a relatively easy job if there is two of you doing it at once. Once you heat a corner area and start the removal from a single point then you'll soon get into a rhythm of one gently pulling/massaging the vinyl from the surface while the other heats the next bit that needs removing.

The important bit is to remove all of the sticky residue that can sometimes be left behind. If you don't remove everything first time then an application of intense far removal fluid will do the job.

You may then be left with a slight discolouration or 'ghosting' which is the term used by the pros.

In most cases the ghosting effect is produced because one area of paint has been protected under vinyl while the rest has remained open to the elements and therefore a significant degree of contamination is present on the clear coat finish.

You then need to thouroghly wash your van and use a clay bar application to remove the surface contamination from the affected area. A clay bar effectively drags the crap from the surface of the paint but be warned that if you get any form of mild grit under the clay bar surface then you can scratch your paint - so check the bar prior to each application.

Once the clay bar has done its job then finish off with a polish before going to the local bar for a few bottle of wine because you'll need it by then :D

......so in summary:

1. Heat and drag 'team combo' with high heat.
2. Remove all residue.
3. A thorough wash and rinse of the van ensuring that all dirt has been removed.
4. Clay bar application.
5. Polish.
6. Three or four bottles on wine.

Finally if your decals are just contaminated then you may be able to wash, and clay bar the decals (very gently) to refresh them.

Post some pics of your decals and van if possible.

Regards,

Andrew

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
@Teasy2007

Hi Ginny and Mike,

Sorry to say guys but those decals do look heavily sun bleached to me.

Did the dealer not tell you that you're not supposed to use your motorhome in the sun :D:D, sorry, couldn't resist :D

In theory a good quality decal will last for 5-7 years before degrading rapidly. That said, I've got a hunch that the stuff used on your van was not the best material at the time of application.

You have three options:

1. Stain The Surface: You can keep the decals and try to improve their colouring by treating them with multiple coats of 'Back To Black' polish. You will notice a significant difference if you do this but a few imperfections will remain.

2. Replace decals: This is not as expensive as you would first think. If you choose a reasonably priced guy to do the job then it will just cost a few hundred £.

3. Remove Completely: As per the process in my original post but be prepared for a bit of elbow grease.

Finally, the plastics: All is not lost. You can do a few things yourself to massively improve the plastics but I would first give a 'Chips Away Technician' a call to get a quote for the repair of the plastics. They should be able to lightly sand, fill and plastic coat the surface. It's a whole load cheaper than replacing the plastics for new gear and if you want to retain the resale value and the aesthetics of the van then a pro is definitely the way forward.

Hope this helps for now.

All the best,

Andrew

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Andrew,

When we bought the Globecar it had been stood for nearly a year after the owner had died. This is when we think the damage was done. We have noticed that on the new Globecar there are no Decals at the top, so maybe it’s a problem they have solved by leaving them off!

Thank you very much for your advice, our son is a mechanic and he has removed decals in the past so we will ask him to lend a hand.

Ginny and Mike

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
If you want to save a whole load of money then buy a cheap plastic panel (with deep scratches) from the scrap yard for a couple of quid.

You then need to sand the affected area using wet n' dry sandpaper before applying direct heat to make the area lightly tacky before massaging the scratch out.

Be careful not to burn the plastic though. Before it starts going cold then apply the bumper conditioner as what John has mentioned above.

Polish off and reapply a second and third coat as appropriate.

......then take a deep breath and try it on your van :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Bumper coating and tyre shine will help with the plastics but it will need re-applying, however its not difficult to do and will be the cheapest option by far - I think B&M or Home Bargains sell it for £1 a tin.

As for the decals - just remove them and take it from there - we had some that were separating and badly shrinking on our previous 2015 Globecar Familyscout and eventually we got them replaced under warranty but it was a bit of a fight, if we hadn't managed this we'd simply have removed them. This is our 2015 Globecar with the decals and a mock-up without and I think it would have looked better without.

gg.jpg

03.jpg

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Has anybody used T cut bumper care?

I've not had any experience of it myself but IMO I would opt for John's @Neckender idea above; i.e. keep it simple.

The product application process in the video looks easy enough but the guy makes bold claims about the longevity of the material and that's where I would be a bit sceptical.

EDIT: I don't know if such a treatment will cover any deep'ish scratches.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I've not had any experience of it myself but IMO I would opt for John's @Neckender idea above; i.e. keep it simple.

The product application process in the video looks easy enough but the guy makes bold claims about the longevity of the material and that's where I would be a bit sceptical.

EDIT: I don't know if such a treatment will cover any deep'ish scratches.

We are going to take the good advice and use wet and dry to try and remove the scratches and then buff the plastic. Hopefully if we do a good job we might not need the T cut, but it’s a good fall back if the colour has faded.

Ginny

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Bumper coating and tyre shine will help with the plastics but it will need re-applying, however its not difficult to do and will be the cheapest option by far - I think B&M or Home Bargains sell it for £1 a tin.

As for the decals - just remove them and take it from there - we had some that were separating and badly shrinking on our previous 2015 Globecar Familyscout and eventually we got them replaced under warranty but it was a bit of a fight, if we hadn't managed this we'd simply have removed them. This is our 2015 Globecar with the decals and a mock-up without and I think it would have looked better without.

View attachment 277694

View attachment 277693

I can understand why they have left the decals off the new models, they do look better without!

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi John, do they have tyre shine in dark grey?

Ginny, buy some Simoniz Back To Black and apply it to your grey bumper. It should do the trick but don't worry about the black or grey-thing; it will be fine.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We are going to take the good advice and use wet and dry to try and remove the scratches and then buff the plastic. Hopefully if we do a good job we might not need the T cut, but it’s a good fall back if the colour has faded.

Ginny

It would be good if you could practice on a hard piece of dimpled plastic first so that you can get a feel for the materials being used.

I would recommend that you sand very gently in the same direction as the scratch but try to avoid sanding much of the surrounding area as you don't want to errode the dimpled surface of the bumper.

......then get your hair dryer with a directional diffuser and apply heat carefully and in theory you should be able to massage out more of the imperfections. Don't apply the heat for too long but you'll know when to remove it

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
I'm totally inexperienced!
Leaving food outside will surely attract the animals...........................and I want to try and avoid the local folk if I can :D:D

I've seen Braveheart :whistle:

For reasons known to @Blue Knight I have reason to be re-reading this fascinating thread. However, as a resident of the Highlands I am now grossly insulted and off to buy an Auto Sleeper instead! ;):eek::):)

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
For reasons known to @Blue Knight I have reason to be re-reading this fascinating thread. However, as a resident of the Highlands I am now grossly insulted and off to buy an Auto Sleeper instead! ;):eek::):)

I know nothing sir - enjoy the Auto-Sleeper David :D:D:D...........:rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back